Teaching a neighborhood to lock down wireless?

Rurik

Supreme [H]ardness
I live in a nice housing community, with a housing association, etc. I also teach network intrusion classes as my day job. The other day, I got bored coming home from work, and decided to do a basic netstumbler. It was fairly quiet the whole way until I got into my area. Just driving the main road, which makes a 2 mile loop, I picked up 15 wireless points, with no WEP enabled. A little more driving, and taking in the apartment/townhouses on the other side, and there's at least 50 open networks here.

So, I got to thinking. I could try to work with the home owners association and see if I could use the community center to teach a free class on securing home networks. The HOA could advertise in their newsletters. I'd give an hour class, and if people need more help, I'd charge $40 per household to set it all up.

What do you guys think? Anyone looked into something like this? I have the background and expertise to let people know that a trusted person is securing their network. And I'm sure $40 is a lot cheaper than most places would charge for house-calls of a like nature.

I think that sounds like an excellent idea! :) And $40 for a house call is certainly reasonable.

Probably most people who get wireless have no clue. They just want to share broadband in their homes and don't even think about the signal extending beyond that.

I get on their networks in their shared folders and put links to the best networking sites and how to secure their network. Heck one neighbor never did anything and I was placing shortcuts on his desktop! Yea I know it's not exactly legal but it gets them thinking that I could of done much worse since alot shared their C: drive. Idiots

I think what your doing is good but $40 might be a bit much for people who didn't care enough in the first place.

sounds good. I wouldnt tell those people that you drove around the neighborhood and picked up all their networks.

You might demonstrate with a laptop and wifi point how someone could easily get in and take information. But dont tell them that's what you did and thats why your teaching the class.

Well, $40 is an arbitrary number. I'm not in it for the money, and just want to be fairly reimbursed for my time.

Plus, never underestimate the shock-awe talks that can force someone into caring :D

This is a good idea. Wireless security is overlooked by many people. I've heard of some that have hogged fast internet connections from local businesses via a wireless network and they were none the wiser. You would have thought any business would be advised to secure their network :)

vxspiritxv said:
I run a non encrypted wireless network. Doesn't mean I'm not secure. :p

I do the same, but that's still not the point. For Joe User who runs home from CompUSA or Circuit City and just plugs stuff in not even wondering if someone else could access his signals, this method of going through the Housing Office is a great idea. I'll have to do the same. But $40 seems a bit low. Its good money if its a quick job or you're in an area that has a low cost of living, but in the DC/Baltimore area where I'm at I think I'd start at $75 per household.

Impact9 said:
Heck one neighbor never did anything and I was placing shortcuts on his desktop! Yea I know it's not exactly legal but it gets them thinking that I could of done much worse since alot shared their C: drive.

How does it get them thinking if they didn't do anything?

Rurik - Please teach the class. Let us know how it goes, and what response you get. I am thinking about doing the same for my parents neighborhood group.

EDIT:
Even more of a reason to teach people to lock down their wireless networks
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/04/war_spamming_plea/
"...Los Angeles man accused of using other people's Wi-Fi networks to send thousands of unsolicited adult-themed emails... "

Very good article, thanks for the link. I'm going to discuss this with some of my coworkers, then try to work out a plan. It'll probably be 3 months or so before it's done, but I'll keep this thread updated :)

Did you ever end up doing it? Don't forget to do a design doc ahead of time ;) - just kidding.

As for reimbursement try to think about roughly what your salary would be if it were hourly and make it a time and 1/2 or even double because it would most likely be after regular business hours. You may also want to consider having an after hour service to setup WAPs. If you need help let me know.

I may have to do the same in my neighborhood.

-Puma

I haven't done anything with this, unfortunately. Sigh, still want to, but between the kid, college and work. Maybe in Spring when I get remotivated :D

Back