Teacher Suspended For Using Cell Phone Jammer

Um...school shootings didn't suddenly just start happening in this century. Here's one from the 1980s.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/3438627-95/1985-concord-shooting-believe

Anyhow, the important point of mentioning this stuff is that there's like this thing where people start to think that humans are vastly different than they were a generation or three ago and that's just not really true. They've been dumb, violent, murderous idiots forever and that isn't anything new in just the same way that children have mirrored their parents by being the same way both in the past and present. Stuff around us might look different and we might communicate differently with one another, but the meaty goo and whatever hasn't changed at all.

Then we have Brenda Ann Spencer in 1979 whose stated reason for going on a shooting spree influenced the Boomtown Rats 1979 New Wave song "I don't like Mondays".

Then there was the 1975 shooting by Michael Slobodian.

Judging by the article, people were of an emotionally heartier stock back then:

"Afterwards, the school closed for the remainder of the week, but re-opened the following Monday."

2003? Might as well have been 1983. They basically taught the same way back then too. They simply don't teach like that any more. But what you're proposing is completely impractical and not a scenario that either faculty or students want.

"What students want" might actually be the problem.

No one benefits from the distraction of students from the subject matter at hand.

The students learn less, perform worse out in their careers, and the institution and instructors get worse reputations.

Students are very poor at determining for themselves what is best for them. They should have no say in the matter.

I mean, if you have a computer lab class (like my engineering drafting classes) by all means, use computers, or if you need to present a project, by all means, bring a laptop with powerpoint on it, but other than that, nope.

If I were an instructor and someone was using their phone or on their computer, I'd ask them to leave my classroom and come back when they were ready to learn, and give them a big fat 0 for the subjective portion of the grade.

Zarathustra[H];1041643748 said:
"What students want" might actually be the problem.

No one benefits from the distraction of students from the subject matter at hand.

The students learn less, perform worse out in their careers, and the institution and instructors get worse reputations.

Students are very poor at determining for themselves what is best for them. They should have no say in the matter.

I mean, if you have a computer lab class (like my engineering drafting classes) by all means, use computers, or if you need to present a project, by all means, bring a laptop with powerpoint on it, but other than that, nope.

If I were an instructor and someone was using their phone or on their computer, I'd ask them to leave my classroom and come back when they were ready to learn, and give them a big fat 0 for the subjective portion of the grade.

This is the horror you get when students get what they want.

Between the rampant cheating, use of electronic devices, abuse of ADD/ADHD medication to perform better, etc. etc. we're fucked in the next couple of generations.

The decline in the last 15 years alone has been abysmal.

Some other nation hungrier than us, and willing to put in the hard work and focus, and not just skate by like some silly little millennial will overtake us. Guaranteed.

Students today need discipline beaten into them (by any means necessary, literally if needed) from a young age, or all is fucking lost.

Same stupid thinking, that a percentage matters to the parents of a dead kid. It DOES HAPPEN EVERY DAMN YEAR and if it's your kid that is dead what ya going to do now pops?

Kids pretty much didn't do this shit before 2000. But before 2000 my Ag Teacher parked his unlocked pickup in the same parking lot with all the kid's cars and his rifle and shotgun were in the gun rack in plain site for any to see. No kid would have dared to open the door to his truck or touch those guns. It's not the same world today.

You can play the stupid odds game if you want, better hope you don't win the "couldn't happen here" lottery though.
Ok it happens every year right? How many kids who were going to die in a active shooter scenario were saved by their cell phones?
You're more likely to have you kid die by lightning strike than an active shooter, but for those unfortunate people, having a fucking cell phone did not help in any way shape or form. It's not a fucking shield. So then what's the point of saying having a cell phone will in any way shape or form make it "better" for the child?

Ok it happens every year right? How many kids who were going to die in a active shooter scenario were saved by their cell phones?
You're more likely to have you kid die by lightning strike than an active shooter, but for those unfortunate people, having a fucking cell phone did not help in any way shape or form. It's not a fucking shield. So then what's the point of saying having a cell phone will in any way shape or form make it "better" for the child?

Typically the use of cellphones, in shooting situations: causes networks to jam up and then emergency responders can't communicate, causes parents to rush to the scene which leads to traffic congestion and crowd control problems, and facilitates the spread of rumors and false information which then needs to be sorted out.

In all seriousness, Verizon should have no ability to sue anyone over this. Also, the teacher shouldn't be punished in any way, either.

Just on the fact alone that Verizon paid billions on the right to use that spectrum is enough for them to sue. Second, he wasn't using a little dinky blocker that's only is supposed to work around 50 feet, he had a pretty powerful one that could block out a square mile. And not just cellphones but also police-band and walkie-talkie frequencies. It's very serious.

Zarathustra[H];1041643368 said:
Well, I'd imagine that cellphones - as a quality of service measure - automatically report their GPS coordinates when they have poor signal, so that carriers can know where they need to strengthen their networks.

Not doing so would be a wasted opportunity.

I doubt they are looking for jammers directly, but if all of a sudden lots of cellphones from different users all start reporting poor signal in an area where this previously wasn't the case, they would look into it, and when they found nothing wrong with their equipment, it should be a leap to figure out that a jammer was being used.

It was not too hard for them to figure out what was happening because this meathead used a jammer powerful enough to practically take the entire tower offline. The cellphones did not report trouble - the network simply saw that the activity at a certain tower dropped dramatically the same time each day.

... saw a jammer for sale somewhere that was pertty small. There's a few idiots on the bus that yell and scream stupid shit for an hour. Not all the time... if it was i'd buy one of these and turn it on and off. :)

... saw a jammer for sale somewhere that was pertty small. There's a few idiots on the bus that yell and scream stupid shit for an hour. Not all the time... if it was i'd buy one of these and turn it on and off. :)

Spend your time and money finding another mode of transportation instead of a device meant to jam everyone's cell phone because you feel annoyed. Or perhaps some classes on tolerance or anxiety control.

So many people want to just wipe out cell phone usage from paying people because they don't like it. I wonder if this is the same group that flips out as soon as their ISP puts new limits on data or perhaps forced updates for their OS. You know, having things forced on you because someone else feels it is necessary without your consent.

Zarathustra[H];1041643387 said:
If I were an instructor I'd have a no electronic device policy in my classroom.

I'm astonished that schools/colleges/instructors/professors put up with it.

I'd throw a student out of my classroom if they pulled out Amy electronic device during my lecture. I'd consider it an insult to me, an insult to the institution and an insult to all his or her fellow students.

Often the administration won't back the teachers up on this kind of thing. I speak from experience (college level).

It adds insult to injury when the teacher's aren't permitted to discipline the class and their job performance is tied to student test scores or evaluations.

It adds insult to injury when the teacher's aren't permitted to discipline the class and their job performance is tied to student test scores or evaluations.

My good friend is a 5th grade homeroom teacher, and this is exactly right. We're really backing our teachers into a corner here. Between the 'no child left behind' nonsense, and now this new testing this year... who the hell will ever want to teach?

I have no problem with schools using cell phone jammers. In fact, if the congressional inaction figures would pass a law to allow it in schools....I would support it.

My son lost his cell phone at school for using it in class once. Hasn't done it since. He didn't get it back at the end of the day. I had to go pick it up. I thought it was a great policy. That way I know they are using it in class, and the kid usually doesn't do it again.

Yes, I get shit for them having cell phones. But, there have been several times when they've been needed. Different ride home, walk home, parents aren't home go to so-and-so's house, etc.. Very little usage. Not a necessity, but a convenience. But, I'm a tech guy, so I have no problems with it. Just don't take it camping, fishing or on vacation (or leave it in the car, turned off). I take mine hunting for emergency purposes, but it's turned off for obvious reasons. There are times when they are useful, but I have times when they must be off.

From a friend who honestly tried being a teacher for about 8 years of pre-teens... you are a minority of parents.

He said there is an amazing amount of parents not helping but basically doing counter productive things. The administration and government buckle because its always the lazy government fault and parents will start a riot.

A student told him his parents told him his poor grades were ok because it was his teachers fault... His response to the kid... "You have poor grades because you don't turn in your homework".

Man we both remembered that our parents NEVER said the teacher was wrong or ever took our side in those type of matters. Teacher's word was law at our home.

I remember I honestly thought I got the wrong end of a teacher judgement (really:)... my mom just told me... "You will have bosses that aren't fair and you will have to deal with them, just like you will have to deal with this teacher". That was it, the best I ever got, "you maybe right but it don't freaking matter suck it up".

I don't know if this is just rosey colored memories of walking 3 miles to school everyday uphill both ways but man it sure seams people do spoil their kids a bit more these days.

teachersnow_590_332.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041643387 said:
If I were an instructor I'd have a no electronic device policy in my classroom.

I'm astonished that schools/colleges/instructors/professors put up with it.

I'd throw a student out of my classroom if they pulled out Amy electronic device during my lecture. I'd consider it an insult to me, an insult to the institution and an insult to all his or her fellow students.
Well take it from a college/instructor/professor, I put up with it because I've become jaded over the years. I realize that there are those who want to learn, both great students and horrible students but regardless of the type of student they are they try, and then there are those who simply couldn't care less about the class and are really only there because they think they'll get a passing grade for showing up to hear when assignments and tests are due, and for that group of people I'm not going to put much of any effort into them, so if texting away (and thinking that their eyeballs focused on their lap isn't obvious at all) keeps them entertained for the duration of class and they don't get the material then that's less work for me when it comes to grading assignments they don't do/complete because they have no idea what I talked about.

Of course I don't put myself up on any pedestal either as someone who's "elite", I tell them at the beginning of class I'm not into formal titles and feel free to address me by my first name, and they'll get as much out of this class as they put in, including a passing grade. Now I don't teach at any "prestigious" school, in fact I teach at a type of school where people go who can't get into better schools.

Except that we've made it the teacher's fault if a child fails, for any reason, so yea it kinda is their job now.
And unfortunately the response to this is to just make sure everyone passes, because take I get a whole bunch of students where I question how they even passed high school classes, and I don't have access to all their records but I can tell you how they do well in my class and usually it isn't even close to passing.

Over the years I've tried to make things easier too, putting 60% at the cut off for a C, tests that are all multiple choice, allowing a full page of notes on tests, for a couple years I even experimented with a system of letting them choose which assignments to do for their grade (some combination of homework and tests) and there are those who still couldn't make that work.

so cell phone jammer...
just set up a micro cell site (extenders, etc) and remove the connection at the backend so that the phones will connect but can't connect to the internet.

I believe you have to specifically add phones to your microcell's access list for them to use it in the first place, and even then it's usually limited to like 6-10 devices. You don't just plug a microcell up and then everyone can suddenly use it.

Zarathustra[H];1041643359 said:
They probably meant press charges, rather than prosecute.

I think cellphone jammers in classrooms at all levels up to and through college are a great idea, but the fact is using them is a violation of the law. The FCC has been pretty clear on this.

I'd imagine he wasn't suspended directly for his use of a jammer, but rather indirectly because he violated federal law while on the job.

I can't help but think most employers would do the same.

So much this. I personally think it's a great idea, but you know how parents are. If they can't reach their children at all times.. well they freak out.

ROFL, some great bits in that article:

The pro wrestler turned science teacher was reprimanded in 2013 after he used violent questions on a test referencing the velocity of a student thrown against a wall by a teacher and the mass of a car running over a baby.

This is the best sentence I have ever read. He was part of The Power Company Twinz. They were on WCW and I'm pretty sure I watched them fight back in the day.

I'd say the jammers are a bit too much - I like the disciplinary ideas of taking the phone away unlessbits an emergency.
And on the other side of the coin, when it comes to those that want to try and make me take my phone off my person per their demands, I simply excuse myself from their presence altogether. No one tells me how to use a phone I paid for.

If they're sitting in the back and quietly staring into the phone in their lap - who the hell cares. If they genuinely need to be paying attention and aren't then it will sort itself out - they'll flunk the class. It's the student's choice to be in college in the first place. If they want to show up and not pay attention that should be up to them. Frankly if they don't want to show up at all except for exams that ought to be their choice too, but Texas and other states have errantly decided attendance should be mandatory in college.

Respect should be given where respect is due. If someone hasn't gotten that before they reach college they probably never will and it's a waste of time to try and teach it to them at that point. They'll probably get their comeuppance when the get into the workforce.

Some people deserve respect, but a person should not expect or demand it. Humility is a lesson that a lot of professors seem to have skipped out on early too. And anyhow, you shouldn't go around perceiving insult where none is explicitly given. It isn't all about you.

I could buy your argument if there was no cost to the teacher, but there often is. Teachers that are contingent (lecturers and adjuncts) or trying to earn tenure are often evaluated based on student performance and student evals.

I find your comment about lack of humility very odd. I have certainly had some pretentious and overbearing colleagues, but by default shouldn't you respect someone that has made the time and monetary sacrifices to earn a terminal degree? Why attend a university if you don't respect the faculty?

Zarathustra[H];1041643764 said:
This is the horror you get when students get what they want.

Between the rampant cheating, use of electronic devices, abuse of ADD/ADHD medication to perform better, etc. etc. we're fucked in the next couple of generations.

The decline in the last 15 years alone has been abysmal.

Some other nation hungrier than us, and willing to put in the hard work and focus, and not just skate by like some silly little millennial will overtake us. Guaranteed.

Students today need discipline beaten into them (by any means necessary, literally if needed) from a young age, or all is fucking lost.

This paragraph from the article you cited sums up my feelings as a teacher precisely.

"The student-teacher dynamic has been re-envisioned along a line that's simultaneously consumerist and hyper-protective, giving each and every student the ability to claim Grievous Harm in nearly any circumstance, after any affront, and a teacher's formal ability to respond to these claims is limited at best."

My good friend is a 5th grade homeroom teacher, and this is exactly right. We're really backing our teachers into a corner here. Between the 'no child left behind' nonsense, and now this new testing this year... who the hell will ever want to teach?

Not me. I taught at the college level for 8 years. When you add up the low pay, long hours, and lack of respect it just doesn't make sense. I worked 60 hours per week for $37K, not to mention all of the years I was paying to go to school and not making any money (4 years of undergrad, 2 of masters, 3 of doctoral). I'm out and I have no intention to return. I know I'm not alone in this.

Zarathustra[H];1041644930 said:

The only thing wrong with this picture is that the "now picture" should also have the administration (Principals and VPs) and the school board yelling at the teacher.

The only thing wrong with this picture is that the "now picture" should also have the administration (Principals and VPs) and the school board yelling at the teacher.

While the kid posts a selfie on Facebook and twitter, drowning out the world on his ear buds with the Linkin Park album he bought on iTunes.

Your just full of shit. The Sandy Hook Shooter killed himself when the cops showed up, the cops showed up because they were called. Now I can't say if the call was placed from a cell phone or not, but Adam Lanza didn't stop his mayhem until confronted by cops so don't try and pull some bullshit like no one was saved by the cops' arrival and the call that brought them. Stupid thinking again. You got some more?

This paragraph from the article you cited sums up my feelings as a teacher precisely.

"The student-teacher dynamic has been re-envisioned along a line that's simultaneously consumerist and hyper-protective, giving each and every student the ability to claim Grievous Harm in nearly any circumstance, after any affront, and a teacher's formal ability to respond to these claims is limited at best."

I'll give you all of that, but let's look at it from another angle, (not from the parents' angel, just a different aspect).

My kid want's to go on a school trip and I have to sign a letter that abdicates my right to seek legal redress if any harm comes to my kid regardless of responsibility or negligence on the part of the school or it's officials/employees. Yes, if I want my kid to be able to go on the trip, I have to agree not to hold the school responsible if something happens to my kid and it's their fault. In a right thinking world, how is this even allowed or possible?

In America today, no one want's to be responsible for anything, not even themselves. I find this the single most distinct and telling trait of our current situation. Of those that do take responsibility for themselves, and more importantly for others, they usually get shafted for it and found at fault because quite frankly, they volunteered to be the target.

Arrange everything you read about in the paper under this premise and see how it all comes together for you. Litmus test time.

I'll give you all of that, but let's look at it from another angle, (not from the parents' angel, just a different aspect).

My kid want's to go on a school trip and I have to sign a letter that abdicates my right to seek legal redress if any harm comes to my kid regardless of responsibility or negligence on the part of the school or it's officials/employees. Yes, if I want my kid to be able to go on the trip, I have to agree not to hold the school responsible if something happens to my kid and it's their fault. In a right thinking world, how is this even allowed or possible?

In America today, no one want's to be responsible for anything, not even themselves. I find this the single most distinct and telling trait of our current situation. Of those that do take responsibility for themselves, and more importantly for others, they usually get shafted for it and found at fault because quite frankly, they volunteered to be the target.

Arrange everything you read about in the paper under this premise and see how it all comes together for you. Litmus test time.

I haven't taught below the college level, so I can't speak to what goes on with school trips. Thankfully, I never had to deal with that.

I think we're more or less saying the same thing. Nobody wants to take responsibility. The problem is that we're forcing that responsibility onto teachers (via pay for test score systems), who can only do so much without the support of the parents and administration.

I busted college kids plagiarizing (I don't mean the technical, nit-picky kind) and my department chair would get calls from parents complaining about "how dare he accuse my child of..." You know what my reward for holding the standard was? Getting blasted by these kids on the student evals at the end of the term. Administration never bothered to observe me teach or, perish the thought, provide any mentoring or professional development. They just looked at grades and student comments. I would have looked "better" to the administration if I had just given everyone As. It certainly would have been less work!

Honestly phones have absolutely no place in the grade schools IMO. Personally if it wasn't so damn expensive I would be all for them painting every school top to bottom with RF shielding paint.

Zarathustra[H];1041643748 said:

I simply don't understand this. I am currently in college and it's become really rare to use pen/paper. Many of my instructors and professors urge you to bring recording devices and most programs now require you to have a laptop. Most of my classes 80-90% of the people note taking/etc are on laptops... EE program, not even IT...

I busted college kids plagiarizing (I don't mean the technical, nit-picky kind) and my department chair would get calls from parents complaining about "how dare he accuse my child of..." You know what my reward for holding the standard was? Getting blasted by these kids on the student evals at the end of the term. Administration never bothered to observe me teach or, perish the thought, provide any mentoring or professional development. They just looked at grades and student comments. I would have looked "better" to the administration if I had just given everyone As. It certainly would have been less work!
See that's why I make a copy of any paper that I suspect of plagiarism, then on that copy I write down the sources just so if it's a month or so later I don't have to redo all the "work" of finding the sources that were copied. Granted for me it's usually seeing stupid things like the footnote markers from Wikipedia still in the work ([2][3][4]) or hyperlinks still underlined (doubly fun when they use a color printer and they all come out blue). But then again I don't have any fear to worry about student evaluations, I get evaluated every 3 years, and there also is an evaluation by peers, and ultimately it's the department who decides whether or not to keep me around, and they do understand the issue with upset students getting grades they don't like. That must have been some shitty school you taught at where administrators were just as lazy as the students in the classroom.

I simply don't understand this. I am currently in college and it's become really rare to use pen/paper. Many of my instructors and professors urge you to bring recording devices and most programs now require you to have a laptop. Most of my classes 80-90% of the people note taking/etc are on laptops... EE program, not even IT...
I see a different view of this, students who bring recording devices, unless it's to review later with the notes they actually took, tend to do much MUCH worse in general. There simply is no mechanism to reinforce what is being taught (which initially comes from writing things down) if all that is being done is recording along with the idea that you might review it later. Of course I'm quite liberal as a teacher, and will let students use whatever they want and if they want to chat with someone instead of learning then I'll happily fail them when they do poorly on tests if anything it's more business for the school because that student needs to retake the class :D

I see a different view of this, students who bring recording devices, unless it's to review later with the notes they actually took, tend to do much MUCH worse in general. There simply is no mechanism to reinforce what is being taught (which initially comes from writing things down) if all that is being done is recording along with the idea that you might review it later. Of course I'm quite liberal as a teacher, and will let students use whatever they want and if they want to chat with someone instead of learning then I'll happily fail them when they do poorly on tests if anything it's more business for the school because that student needs to retake the class :D

I am with you. I am one of the very few that still does paper notes because I know for a fact I can remember what I wrote easier than what I typed. But it doesn't change the fact that it won't be long before it hits nearly 100%. They even place power outlets in the desks for the students now FFS.

I took a class my uncle found through a community collage a good while ago. I want to say 17 years ago? It was a summer class the last year before I graduated high school. Half of the class was about how to take proper notes in college. They taught you linear and non linear note taking, short hand, and the Cornell? note taking method. Figured out if you are a visual, audible, or kinesthetic learner and how to use those strengths to your advantage.

The second half of that class was all about memorization. Both short term and long term. Tons and tons of little things that add up. Like you are around 60% more likely to remember something you wrote down if you wrote it in PRINT instead of cursive. Something I thought was complete nonsense until I started doing it . It really made sense afterwords though. You spend more time writing it when you write in print. Growing up we were always told that "Only the uneducated write in print." What a load of crap.

I am with you. I am one of the very few that still does paper notes because I know for a fact I can remember what I wrote easier than what I typed. But it doesn't change the fact that it won't be long before it hits nearly 100%. They even place power outlets in the desks for the students now FFS.
When I first started teaching nearly 10 years ago part of my opening day spiel was a study done that shows how much we can recall based upon methods of interaction, and sitting in class just listening was about 10%, actually taking notes where you listen and write down that number jumps to 25% (still low) and without getting too boring there is a lot that is needed to truly remember everything. This is why you get students who can recall "yeah I remember that being talked about in class" but then all the little dirty details not so much. Now I'm not sure how typing compares to writing, I'm sure it's somewhat close up there, but either way it's better than just sitting and doing nothing. Unfortunately I very quickly found that my telling students how to succeed with actual data to back it up fell mostly on deaf ears, so I stopped doing that in my classes.

I took a class my uncle found through a community collage a good while ago. I want to say 17 years ago? It was a summer class the last year before I graduated high school. Half of the class was about how to take proper notes in college. They taught you linear and non linear note taking, short hand, and the Cornell? note taking method. Figured out if you are a visual, audible, or kinesthetic learner and how to use those strengths to your advantage.
With all the requirements that colleges now have you do to make you a "more rounded" student (which I do not agree with at all), something like this should be made a requirement. I remember when I started college I had no clue about taking notes, never did it in high school, I just saw people breaking out notebooks and writing down what was seen on the board and I kind of learned how to learn via osmosis. And when the teacher said she was handing out a syllabus I had absolutely no fricking clue what that was, never heard that word before in my life. Now that has more to do with the state of the high school system I'm sure, and unfortunately I think it's gotten worth in the past 20 or so years since I left, I know because I teach a lot of these students who just pass through the system.

Back