Teacher’s Aide Fired For Not Handing Over Facebook Password

HardOCP News

[H] News
This crap is getting seriously ridiculous. Someone should tell principle Flintstone that you're not supposed to be asking for people passwords or you'll end up in court.

One of the supervisors from the Lewis Cass Intermediate School District (ISD), the regional service center for education in Michigan, even wrote her a letter when she refused to give them her password for the third time. Part of the letter read: "... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly."

This is getting stupid. Why the hell do these companies believe this behavior is OK?

This is getting out of hand. I will never give over my facebook password to any company. I don't care if it means not having a job, I like my privacy thank you very much.

AMERICA! Fuck you.

I would have read the Facebook TOS which states

8. You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

IDK, but I'm waiting for this to hit the courts. It was a picture not taken at work, not taken with work property, not tweeted / shared around with co-workers during work, and not about work. Yet someone lost their job over it. This ought to result in a juicy settlement.

Maybe it's time for a new law. Ask an illegal question during an interview, or ask for FB / Twitter / etc passwords, or anything else like that...instant penalty equal to a year's salary considered average for that position. At the same time make it a requirement that audio evidence from the interview must be presented for such a claim, and also make it LEGAL for the interviewee to secretly record any interview.

Just another reason why I'll probably never have a Facebook account. Of course at this point many companies might think I'm lying to them about not having one or think I'm some kind of antisocial weirdo because I didn't fall into this stupid trend.

Yeah, I would absolutely sue the employer if they did this to me. No excuse for this behavior.

Seems like an open-and-shut legal case.
I'm surprised the school board was that stupid.

Yeah, hopefully this ends up good. She sues them and it becomes well publicised and employers from here on in get too scared to ask for passwords.

Just another reason why I'll probably never have a Facebook account. Of course at this point many companies might think I'm lying to them about not having one or think I'm some kind of antisocial weirdo because I didn't fall into this stupid trend.

naw...I had one and walked away from it....no fallout at all other than strange looks when I say I don't use Facebook.....

but my entire family uses it to "communicate"

i told them to call or email, that I don't have time to hang on their every word. I have now been completely left out of the loop for three nieces/nephews being born because they think they should be able to post the announcement on Facebook and thats that. They are too lazy to pick up a phone and call. I hear about my brother having a daughter through a third party who read it on facebook......fucking twats

"... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly."

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" or "pleading the 5th"?

naw...I had one and walked away from it....no fallout at all other than strange looks when I say I don't use Facebook.....

but my entire family uses it to "communicate"

i told them to call or email, that I don't have time to hang on their every word. I have now been completely left out of the loop for three nieces/nephews being born because they think they should be able to post the announcement on Facebook and thats that. They are too lazy to pick up a phone and call. I hear about my brother having a daughter through a third party who read it on facebook......fucking twats

Sounds more like you are out of the loop because YOU refused to use the method of communication that everyone else in your family uses.

Don't blame them for not wanting to have to make extra effort just because YOU didn't want to use Facebook.

Why does any employer need to know someone's password for a personal account. That's like saying, "I need access to your personal email account just to make sure you don't have anything work related in there." I hope she sues them and/or get's the people responsible fired.

So, guilty until proven innocent...

I'd tell them to screw off too.

They have the same thing here where I'm at and the teachers just gave them secondary accounts.

The reason why schools ask for this information is to make sure there are no teacher / student relationships going on. And the stance the school districts feel they have to take is one where they are forced to assume the worse rather than to not act and have a teacher in a relationship with a student. Remember, this is not just HS, this is middle school as well.

There are two sides to everything. I'm all for privacy but, I can only assume that all the parents out there want to know factually that the teachers are not dating their sons or daughters. I am sure we can all agree that's a valid concern.

So it's basically, give us your password, or, we will assume the worst ( your dating a student ) and we will can your ass. And that's what happened.

What amazes me is that a person would rather put their job on the line rather than lie about something that is clearly an invasion of privacy. If you know you are in the right, then lie to protect yourself. If you like dating your students, then, do the right thing, police your own actions and hand over your password.

It's pretty simple

Yes this is an invasion of privacy and a law suit against the school district should be pursued.
But that is not the scary part of the article. This is
Several politicians including Michigan's own State Representatives Aric Nesbitt and Matt Lori have been pushing for bills that will make the breach of privacy an illegal practice. Unfortunately, it hasn't been going very well for them — the House of Representatives recently rejected a legislation that would protect your passwords from employers' prying eyes.

yes the House rejected legislation that would protect your rights... :eek:

These type of cases need to go to the Supreme Court so that they can send a message not only to employers and government officials , that it is not legal to ask for this information with out a warrant or legal reason.

Sounds more like you are out of the loop because YOU refused to use the method of communication that everyone else in your family uses.

Don't blame them for not wanting to have to make extra effort just because YOU didn't want to use Facebook.

Pretty much, I have long distance relatives that I never spoke to in 8 years because they aren't really that close to begin with. Now with being able to go on Facebook I get to keep in contact with them and just pop in a message every once in awhile asking how it's going. So much better than picking up a phone and wasting time with long awkward conversations.

This is where someone plants the clever "Not sure if serious" picture...

Pretty disturbing trend. It's going to keep happening until this works its way through the court system too.

Now that Tennessee no longer has negotiated teacher contracts, my school system has added language to the new "teacher handbook" saying that our personal social media accounts can be subpoenaed at any time if they even think something is going on related to teachers contacting students, complaining about working conditions, etc.

It's getting worse. Ugh.

I was replying to a particular post but, since it has me all fired up, I decided not to isolate and just, well, splat. Here it is...

So, guilty until proven innocent. For the good of the kids.

I guess China really is taking this country over.

I'm sorry, but GD that thought process pisses me off. And anyone that subscribes to it deserves exactly what they get.

If anyone ever demanded my Facebook password I'd say "Do you really want a sysadmin that hands out his passwords?" If they said yes, that's all I need to know about that place: I don't want to work there. There's nothing I give a shit at all on my FB account, I haven't logged in for a year because I just don't give a shit. However I won't hand over passwords. You don't do that, it is exceedingly bad security practice.

They should have a copy of your house keys too! Just incase!

Why don't people have 2 accounts or just not use it? It's supposed to be a "social" network, but if someone is important enough socially to you, you will have better means of communication with them. It just seems to be for people you barely even know so you can have "friends" but not put in any effort.

What part of "None of your fucking business" do these people not understand?

Enjoy your lawsuit, Michigan.

First of all, understand this. You are EMPLOYED. This is not your private life behind closed doors. You don't get to wear what you want to school. You have moral and ethical obligations. Unfortunately, some of you are blurring those two lines here. You simply do not enjoy the same freedoms when you are at work, working for the state, teaching children.

That's the point here that needs to be loud and clear but more importantly, understood. Basically, having a Facebook account and being a teaching is just ... touch shits. Sorry.

There has to be a level of accountability that is met and this is the only way that works. Sorry, but a wait and see approach or a wait until the 38 year old teacher is dating the 17 year old that just turned 18 that just dropped out of HS and now they are living together just won't cut.

This is common-logical-freaking-sense. No one is trampling on your freedoms here.

NYS is trying to get something going on this as well, to stop companies from being able to get passwords from you for facebook or other networking websites.

Honestly, this is like having someone at a job say, "Hey I know you write in your diary every night, we are going to need to see that to make sure you aren't doing something wrong."
Uh... no way in hell.

First of all, understand this. You are EMPLOYED. This is not your private life behind closed doors. You don't get to wear what you want to school. You have moral and ethical obligations. Unfortunately, some of you are blurring those two lines here. You simply do not enjoy the same freedoms when you are at work, working for the state, teaching children.

That's the point here that needs to be loud and clear but more importantly, understood. Basically, having a Facebook account and being a teaching is just ... touch shits. Sorry.

There has to be a level of accountability that is met and this is the only way that works. Sorry, but a wait and see approach or a wait until the 38 year old teacher is dating the 17 year old that just turned 18 that just dropped out of HS and now they are living together just won't cut.

This is common-logical-freaking-sense. No one is trampling on your freedoms here.
Wrong, on so many levels.

I was asked for my FB log in information by a state employer. The way in which it was asked did not convey that it was an optional thing. More of a "You will give us your password, or you will not get the job".

In today's job market, especially with federal/state/local jobs diminishing with budget cuts, it can be rough for someone who's going into that field. You don't really have a lot of room to say "no". In my case, I gave them my log in info, and immediately set up FB log-in notifications, and after a month, changed my password as I usually do.

When I went home after the initial background interview, I googled it up, and found out that it was on the questionable side of legal. But it was legal. It was my responsibility to ask if it was mandatory or not, but on the other side of that interview table, when you're desperate for a job, that's not the first thing that comes to mind.

Your argugment does not fly because you did not bound it. If they have the right to terminate you for not giving access to your Facebook page, do they now have the right to your home as well? Do they have the right to look in your underwear drawer. I can imagine the letter "since you will not let us look at your undergarments, we must assume the worst (your are a slut tramp) and must terminate your employment".

And if you were trolling..give it a 6/10.

I have to disagree with you.

At what point do you draw the line for giving passwords.

"Mr. So and So, I know you have a personal e-mail address off the school network. We are going to need that password from you."

"We are also going to need your key to your storage locker you have been renting for 3 years."

"We are also going to need your house key and access to your banking records to keep tabs on you."

With your logic, this is where it is going.

The reason why schools ask for this information is to make sure there are no teacher / student relationships going on. And the stance the school districts feel they have to take is one where they are forced to assume the worse rather than to not act and have a teacher in a relationship with a student. Remember, this is not just HS, this is middle school as well.

You'd think if parents were actually responsible for their kids and monitored their kids online activity, this wouldn't be an issue. Parents find kids having inappropriate relationship, parent complains to school, school now actually has probable cause, THEN it's okay to start pursuing this.

Actually yes they are. Whether or not they are teachers, makes no difference. What people don't get, along with the guy who said that its stupid to not give up the password unless you are doing something wrong. Is that it is highly illegal and should stop. If and I say if, it got to the point where the police had to get involved. That would be one thing, but it is a breach of privacy no matter what your job is, to have your personal affects searched without a legal warrant, just to collect information on whether a breach happened. They either know it has and the police should be involved, or they know nothing but one single out of context picture that no one else can see (and therefore might never existed) and they are just trying to drum up more evidence.

The problem is not even them its with people like you. UNDER no circumstance should you be forced to have your privacy violated with out a court order. None. And even that is a question mark. And no one should allow that violation happen "because I am not doing something wrong". Its wrong, its illegal, and its one of the biggest points that our forefathers tried to establish in our constitution. Unwillingness to have your rights violated isn't and shouldn't be treated hiding something and therefore guilty. It should be accepted for what it is, a given right in our country.

I was asked for my FB log in information by a state employer. The way in which it was asked did not convey that it was an optional thing. More of a "You will give us your password, or you will not get the job".

In today's job market, especially with federal/state/local jobs diminishing with budget cuts, it can be rough for someone who's going into that field. You don't really have a lot of room to say "no". In my case, I gave them my log in info, and immediately set up FB log-in notifications, and after a month, changed my password as I usually do.

When I went home after the initial background interview, I googled it up, and found out that it was on the questionable side of legal. But it was legal. It was my responsibility to ask if it was mandatory or not, but on the other side of that interview table, when you're desperate for a job, that's not the first thing that comes to mind.

They know they have a lot of people in a rough spot, so they are able to flex their muscle for no reason at all.

If you are going into the military and are gaining top level security, I might expect this kind of behavior to determine if you are a risk or not. But just some regular person, teacher, whatever job that is not national security, it doesn't make sense.

If an employer asked for your cell phone and for you to unlock it if you have a code on it. How many would find that unacceptable?

I must have missed the part of the Constitution/BoR about you ceding your rights to privacy when you are a public employee... oh, maybe I missed it because it isn't there.

Now that Tennessee no longer has negotiated teacher contracts, my school system has added language to the new "teacher handbook" saying that our personal social media accounts can be subpoenaed at any time if they even think something is going on related to teachers contacting students, complaining about working conditions, etc.

It's getting worse. Ugh.

The Tennessee legislature knows that the top priority of teachers unions are to maintain a school environment where teachers can have sex with students as often as possible.

Explain to all the parents out there how this is "wrong on so many levels?" In fact, not just the parents but why don't you contact Republican Assemblywoman Kristin Olsen and ask her about her bill and the meaning behind it or maybe even Jordan Power's Mother? You don't have the first clue about the real world.

No is asking you for your Xbox Live Gold Account Password here lolz, so relax.

This is about .. real shit.

I'm not picking sides. I'm just saying, when it comes to protecting Children, which I'm all about, I understand. Apparently, you're ok with taking a chance with the occasional pos scum "grooming" some child in middle school or high school. Yes, social websites is apart of this grooming process. After all this is what this is all about. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that and why you don't share my zero tolerance attitude toward this type of behavior, even if it means given up a crappy password to crappy Facebook. Seriously, let's put things into proper context here. What has the real value here?

The will being of a child or .... freaking farmville?

Oh and re-read the article people. I maintain that this request is out of bounds legally no matter who she was "thinking of", the article says it was one of he "co-workers" clothes around her ankle. Not a student. Which means that there was a degree of "racy-ness" in a post that a mother found was accessible to students. Not some first step to molestation or anything like that. It's completely out of bounds.

Now on the reverse end of this, is don't ever add people to viewable list where there is even the smallest chance that someone is going to find a way to hurt your livelihood or life in general.

Back