Teac AI-101DA + Orb Audio > 7.1 HDMI Surround Sound

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
For the last 2 years I've been running a Marantz NR1501 7.1 Receiver and 6 Orb Audio speakers with an Infinity sub.

Overall, it was a good system and I enjoyed the surround sound in games (when I could use it).

I recently decided to move away from HDMI/Surround audio for a few reasons:

1. I felt that to really enjoy the surround sound, I had to have it at a moderate volume that was too intrusive for the rest of the house.
2. HDMI audio is a pain when you run 3 x 144Hz monitors.
3. HDMI audio is a bigger pain when you run SLI (I don't anymore, but I'd like to keep my options open)
4. Most of the time I ran stereo speakers (music) or had to use headphones.
5. This probably won't apply to most people and might seem minor but it was important to me - I work from home and have to talk on the phone quite a lot. I use V-MODA headphones to listen to music (on the receiver) as well as talk on the phone and having to constantly add/remove the 3.5mm to 6.3mm headphone adapter when I switch back and forth was annoying.

I was looking for 3 things in an integrated amplifier:
1. A decent DAC and either optical or USB input.
2. A decent speaker amp with subwoofer output
3. A 3.5mm headphone jack
* Bluetooth was not that important to me because I use an Amazon Dot on the Line-In to my PC and it acts as a Bluetooth Bridge so I can stream podcasts from my phone have it mixed in with my PC audio which is my preference. However, the APTX Bluetooth input on the TEAC sounds great.

The Teac AI-101DA was the only (affordable) device I could find that met my criteria.

I've only been using it for a few days, but this is what I've noticed:

1. The optical output from my PC was surprisingly noisy. I'm pretty sure it was my PC because when I muted the PC, the optical input channel went silent (could be a noise gate though?) Not sure what is going on, but that was disappointing.
2. I installed the USB drivers and went USB. Now I'm sold. There is no system noise until you hit max volume and even then, it's barely there.
3. Music, especially things like acoustic guitar and vocals sound amazing. Crystal clear and cleaner than anything I can recall hearing. I really like the sound of the Orb speakers but I'm also wondering what a step up might look like.
4. This little $200ish box takes up a lot less room than even a compact/slim receiver and for desktop audio, I think it might be the perfect device for many or most people.

Massdrop has these all the time for $200 plus $9 shipping - I got impatient and ordered the version on Amazon that comes with some little speakers for $250 delivered.

It's worth checking out if you're looking for a desktop audio system.

Interesting. I do agree HDMI audio is kind of a nonstarter if you are a cutting edge PC gamer because the HDMI spec just doesn't keep up with resolution increases on desktop monitors, and you have to keep upgrading your receiver or pre/pro. And sometimes (like between 2013-2015) there's a lull where there's simply no HDMI hardware that will work for your hardware needs because of developing HDMI standards. The only real functional inputs for PC gamers on the cutting edge are USB or optical.

I am surprised about your noise issue with optical. I usually have pretty high end motherboards so I don't know what kind of issues you might be having with entry-level boards. It's good you have an alternative with USB--although sometimes the opposite is true too--USB is still vulnerable to ground loop noise, so some people might find optical the cleanest solution for PC audio.

It's a Maximus Gene V (Z77) - not really an entry level board. I have not looked further into the optical issue but I have noticed that as good as the USB audio is, there is some delay. I would say a casual observer might not notice it, but it's there - guessing it's maybe 200ms?

My work around is that I ran the line out / headphone jack from my PC to the TEAC. I'll rarely use it, but if I'm playing a game or some media where it's an issue, I can use the analog channel. Not a big deal 95% of the time. I might dive deeper into USB audio latency, but this system is going to be replaced in the Spring. I'll see how the new system handles it.

Sigh...

Today the TEAC started demonstrating a significant defect. The volume knob is extremely sensitive and the slightest pressure causes the volume to spike up momentarily. Even when you leave it along, the volume will occasionally go really high or really low. It makes the product unusable.

I saw one other customer complaint about this issue on the Amazon reviews, but just that one. I'm hoping I just got a lemon but I also don't want to end up with this issue months down the road when I can't return it.

Sigh...

Today the TEAC started demonstrating a significant defect. The volume knob is extremely sensitive and the slightest pressure causes the volume to spike up momentarily. Even when you leave it along, the volume will occasionally go really high or really low. It makes the product unusable.

I saw one other customer complaint about this issue on the Amazon reviews, but just that one. I'm hoping I just got a lemon but I also don't want to end up with this issue months down the road when I can't return it.

I just started having this exact problem with mine this week (had mine since June). Leaving the knob turned all the way down and using the remote instead helps prevent getting my ears blasted out, but yeah it is unusable until fixed. Currently looking in to that 1 year warranty before it's too late. This seems like a pretty rare issue, so hopefully it'll be fixed once and for all. Did you get yours repaired?

I just started having this exact problem with mine this week (had mine since June). Leaving the knob turned all the way down and using the remote instead helps prevent getting my ears blasted out, but yeah it is unusable until fixed. Currently looking in to that 1 year warranty before it's too late. This seems like a pretty rare issue, so hopefully it'll be fixed once and for all. Did you get yours repaired?

I ended up returning mine to Amazon. I really like the product but didn't want to worry about this problem happening on another unit - possibly after it's out of warranty.

Back