TDX nozzle gasket: manufacturer's defect?

flak

Limp Gawd
I bought my TDX block about six months ago. I had never opened it. My temperatures had always been high for a WC setup, but I figured it was just my ambient temperature. A couple of days ago my temps jumped about 5c. I figured there was some gunk in the lines since I'd been running distilled water without any additives. To my surprise there was no sign of algae nor corrosion. However, when I looked into the outlet of my block I saw a strange black piece of rubber. I took the top off the block and discovered that the little rubber gasket that goes between inlet and the plastic nozzle was torn almost in two.

I looked on the DD site and a set of nozzles + shipping comes out to almost $15, even with ground shipping. I sent them an email and am hoping they'll replace it free of charge. I think that gasket has always a little bit torn but recently broke free. I'll let you guys know what they do about it.

Hey Flak,
You might be able to get a new oring from Lowe's or Depot. Check in the plumbing department. I've done it several times before.......

The o-ring is fine. it's the little rubber washer thing that goes between the inlet and the nozzle that's the problem. i'm thinking they won't have anything like that at lowe's. :confused:

they sell little rubber washers at home depot or lowes. I used two rubber washers to seal the tire valve I used on my high school science project (pneumatic potato cannon).

You would be surprised what you can find in all of those little bins at the hardware store.

Also, it sounds like a clear failure of the component to me, and I would hope that DD would send you a replacement free of charge....I mean it would cost DD like 50 cents to send it too, get a 37 cent stamp, a 10 cent envelope and then the 3 cent rubber washer :)

I would consider their gasket flawed. Not only do they tear easily, but after a while the gasket gets compressed and doesn't seal well. Either way, you have water that goes around the nozzle plate instead of through it.

I think you be better of with a DIY replacement.

HeThatKnows said:
I would consider their gasket flawed. Not only do they tear easily, but after a while the gasket gets compressed and doesn't seal well. Either way, you have water that goes around the nozzle plate instead of through it.

I think you be better of with a DIY replacement.

Sounds good to me. i'm off to lowe's to find washers.

mission accomplished! there's a huge difference between the soft foam washer that was on there before and the rubber o-ring i found. i still think i deserve a new one from DD. i'll let you guys know if they send me one anyway.

i have the tdx too, what size oring did you pick up from home depot.... just in case i ever need it. By the way what were your temps before and after.

My temps were around 36C during summer and were as high as 42C before I took it apart. I haven't put it back together yet since I'm waiting on my new case. I'll be able to fit a 2-302 in it. I don't remember which size the o-ring was. I just brought the block with me and test fit them since the packages weren't sealed. i think it was something like a 7/16" id and 7/32 wall, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

My TDX had the same problem. My temperatures raised about 5-8C in one day. Figured something went wrong. The gasket was blocking the accelerator nozzle. I just ripped out my accelerator nozzle and gasket. Figured it might work the same without it. Pump has less restriction = faster flow in theory. Low and behold the temperatures with no gasket/nozzle is the same as when there was one in there and working properly.

The flow into my res is crazy fast now. I actually had to fill it to the top because the faster flow was causing bubbles to form.

thanks for the info, but if Dan's right, than that sounds like an even better solution

Back