TCP monitoring

azn712

Limp Gawd
Hey all, i dont know if this is the right section to post this but it seems the closest to me.

Here is the problem. I have a HTPC setup in the basement, which doubles as a server. I have an xbox in the living room. I stream movies from the HTPC to my xbox in the living room using tversity. Apparently, windows does not count traffic over TCP as activity, so my HTPC goes to sleep every 20 minutes, which interrupts my movie viewing experience. I could extend the sleeping time on my computer but i would like to save some power. Just dont feel right to have my computer on when no one is using it.

Here is the question. Does anyone know a way to monitor my TCP? So when it is active, it will prevent the computer go into sleep mode.

thanks.

I know this doesn't answer your question but, I was under the impression that streaming content typically used UDP rather than TCP.

I hope this doesn't derail your thread. Your question got me thinking.

I know this doesn't answer your question but, I was under the impression that streaming content typically used UDP rather than TCP.

I hope this doesn't derail your thread. Your question got me thinking.

I hope not either. haha

Maybe i should update my question. Anyway to monitor UDP or TCP activity to prevent my computer from sleeping???

Have you checked the power management options for your NIC? Specifically 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.' Either that or one of the other two (or more?) options is most likely the culprit.

It's called a "server" for a reason, because it's always on. If you do it right it it would be all light weight hardware that is enough to stream and hold your stuff. Not some power hungry octo core beast that is also capable of gaming. Underclock it, leave it default but lower the voltage or whatever it does zero good if your server is a sleep when you want to watch something on it.
/rant

Good luck, hope you figure something out. My server is constantly on but with lowered voltages and only powerful enough hardware to do what I need. If I turn it off/set it to sleep I'd only save like $28 a year...

There shpuld be an option in the power management section that will let you not sleep if their is disk activity which is what happens when you're watching a movie. It actually sounds like you have someting screwed up if TVersity is running and streaming yet it's still going to sleep.

Back