TCL 65X925 vs Samsung QN900A

shadowj

Limp Gawd
Which one would you recommend, guys ?
As PC monitor (with RTX 4090 )
The native contrast ratio for the TCL X925 is 4000:1 and for the Samsung QN900A, 1658:1 My previous monitor, Samsung 55" Q9FN, has 6000:1 native contrast. Which is amazing, compared to my actual Q90R - 3250:1 native contrast
Nits peak brightness - TCL X925 - 1000
Samsung QN900A - 1650
Couldn't find some details about the input lag.
What would you recommend, guys ?
Any advices are welcome, thank you

hi, you can read about input lag here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qn900a-8k-qled

they say 6.0 ms at 4k120

also, the contrast ratio is a lot higher on the samsung with local dimming enabled.

i had a 65 Q90R and i changed that for a 85 inch QN85A (the 85" model that has a VA panel and 1100+ dimming zones) i think its an outstanding PC display - 4k120hz with freesync premium, G-sync compability and its alot faster as a PC display than Q90R, but - it's an 85 inch behemoth - dosent work on the desk :)

Last edited:
My actual Samsung Q90R has 3 options for the Local Dimming
Low, Standard and High
I keep it Standard.
I'm a bit confused with this option. How to disable it?
I don't want to disable it, but just asking.
So, if I get the Samsung QN900A and have the Standard or High Local Dimming, it means, the contrast is way higher than the native contrast?
20.000 contrast with local dimming vs 1600 without...
In this case, who would use the local dimming off?
Thank you for your reply

i also kept my Q90R at standard - but i use my QN85A on High - it has a way better algoritm for the dimming zones - and produced a way better result.

that being said - having 1100+ zones vs the 60ish also helps tremendously..

So, your previous TV - monitor, was the Q90R?
How is the image quality vs QN85A, generally speaking?
Do you use it as a TV or PC monitor?
I use it only as PC monitor
I'm so confused with the Q90R native contrast vs QN900A native contrast
It's 3250 - Q90R vs 1650 - QN900A
Thank you, again, RamboZombie.

Yes, i used a 75 inch Q90 before, it was quite good, i think that the QN85A is quite a bit better - black levels look a lot closer to Oled - but won't compare - that being said, it's the closest i have seen.

I used both for shield streaming, PS5 and my 3090 gaming.

the reason (as i understand it) for the low native contrast - is a filter that work against reflections from lightsources on the QN900A - but this also does something for percieved blacklevels, which IMHO seems better.

so, i don't think that you can compare directly.

Okay, thank you very much
I ordered the Q900A - 65 inches
It should arrive next week, the RTX 4090 as well
I'll be back when everything is up and running

Yes, i used a 75 inch Q90 before, it was quite good, i think that the QN85A is quite a bit better - black levels look a lot closer to Oled - but won't compare - that being said, it's the closest i have seen.

I used both for shield streaming, PS5 and my 3090 gaming.

the reason (as i understand it) for the low native contrast - is a filter that work against reflections from lightsources on the QN900A - but this also does something for percieved blacklevels, which IMHO seems better.

so, i don't think that you can compare directly.
It has a different filter so that viewing angles are broader. This caps the native contrast to about 3000:1 though, which while isn't the best, is a decent compromise for a VA panel to bring it closer to IPS angles. It also has dimming zones to help boost the perceived contrast.

I received the Samsung QN900A, tested only with the RTX 3090 - 8k hdmi cable ( didn't play, only browsing, etc)
So far, I'm impressed with image quality.
It looks absolutely beautiful.
In the nVidia CP I see 10 bpc instead of 8 bpc
Is this real 10 bpc? Or 8 bpc with FRC?
I'm using the hdmi input PC. Does it mean, HDR is enabled by default, isn't it??
Game mode is off
Thank you

Back