TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K TV Is $719 at Amazon

cageymaru

Fully [H]
I don't own one so good luck! Seems that others think these are great as PC monitors. I left a link to the RTINGS review at the bottom of the page. There is a 75" version but it was only $300 off.

TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) is $719 at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NJMFL8/

TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) is $528 at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079N9HDNQ/?th=1

According to Reddit, Best Buy has a cheaper version of the same TV for $699 but the remote requires you to aim it at the TV unlike the Amazon version.

Best Buy 65" version is $699.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Best Buy 55" version is $499.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

RTINGS review.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018

The TCL 6 Series has excellent low input lag, as long as Game mode is enabled. With Game mode disabled, input lag is extremely high. 1080p and 4k input lag is very similar. The TV is a 60Hz panel, as such 120Hz input is not supported.

For use as a PC monitor, the TV automatically detects when it is connected to a PC. If it doesn't automatically detect it, changing the input label to Computer will enable PC Mode. For the lowest input lag in PC mode, Game mode must also be enabled.

The TCL 6 Series doesn't support any of the Variable Refresh Rate technologies like AMD Freesync. We tested on a PC with an AMD Radeon RX 580.

TCL.jpg

TCL2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the previous generation of this TV and it's been great. I'm waiting for at least 75-80" to come down in price or OLED maybe before I upgrade again.

As another excellent alternative, Costco still has the Samsung nu8000 55" for 699. This gives you FreeSync and 1080p/1440p gaming @ a true 120hz refresh rate. My local store has at least a pallet of them.

I'm glad I got my 65" for 899 with f ree 5 yr warranty. The ”2019” model is $1700+ and it's the exact same set panel/spec wise.

My 55p605 is still chugging along as a prime streamer mostly, and my 43s405 is a great pc monitor. Roku is still the best smart tv ui by far. Really hoping for vrr on the next refresh, but the first 43 inch freesync tv at reasonable pricing probably gets my money regardless

with owning two r617's the 55 and 65" if you have a bestbuy near you save the money and get it there.. sure the non IR remotes nice but other than turning each tv on once to start the setup i've never touched either remote again, i just use the roku app on my phone so i can skip going through menu's on the tv to open things in roku. that being said i'll never use another tv that doesn't have roku.. one of the best UI's i've ever used on a smart tv and there's zero lag going through all the menu's.

oh and scaring the shit out of my parents when they were visiting while i was at work was priceless.. they were sitting at my house watching tv and during my break i randomly set a youtube video to play on my tv.. :p

with owning two r617's the 55 and 65" if you have a bestbuy near you save the money and get it there.. sure the non IR remotes nice but other than turning each tv on once to start the setup i've never touched either remote again, i just use the roku app on my phone so i can skip going through menu's on the tv to open things in roku. that being said i'll never use another tv that doesn't have roku.. one of the best UI's i've ever used on a smart tv and there's zero lag going through all the menu's.

oh and scaring the shit out of my parents when they were visiting while i was at work was priceless.. they were sitting at my house watching tv and during my break i randomly set a youtube video to play on my tv.. :p

I'll dissent from this. I got the 55" 6-series from Best Buy with the cheaper remote. It bugs the shit out of me. I thought it would work like my old Roku remote, which you only have to aim in the general vicinity of the Roku player. Nope, you have to aim right at a little round circle for the remote to work. I put the Roku app on my phone, but whenever the phone sleeps, the Roku app defaults to the main screen, which has no volume controls etc, and so I have to click through to get to the remote. That's even more annoying. I'm thinking about buying the damn remote that comes with the non BB versions.

I picked up a 55R617 with the 15 percent back for using an Amazon Prime credit card when the price briefly dipped below 520 dollars before reward points.

It’s not perfect (dim corners, some DSE) but I am still very satisfied for the price I paid. Makes a great placeholder TV until HDMI 2.1 and the new consoles come out!

I can also confirm that the built in Roku is quite good. I no longer use my PS4 to stream anything.

Back