TCL 55" HDR 4K TV for 450 (costco members)

I have one of the tcl Roku TVs. I personally can't recommend them for the following reasons:

Audio problems
Network problems
F'ing ads in the home screen

I was about to jump on this until I found out that the TCL 800 series (while looking cooler) is worse than the 600 series for the reason tayunz mentioned above - edgelit vs local dimming backlit.

I have one of the tcl Roku TVs. I personally can't recommend them for the following reasons:

Audio problems
Network problems
F'ing ads in the home screen

Minus the ads and you have the exact reasons I dumped Vizio and never looked back.

I bought one yesterday. I have not seen any ads on my 55" TCL P605 yet. As others have said id avoid anything but the P series because the price difference is minimal for the bump in IQ. The roku is nice compared to the Sony XBR55X800B it replaced. I have better blacks, better color / contrast and the app list is not only huge but much faster. I am not sure I like the remote on the 605 -- its very small and simple. No buttons on the tv, my sony had a control panel on the back so i could turn it on, change inputs , etc without finding the remote.

Beware of light bleed because this model is edge lit. Nice looking TV though. Just doesn't stack up to the P series. I believe the S series even beats it in picture quality due to having a full backlight. As always, check it out in store before you pull the trigger.

Not enough FALD TVs out there. :(

I am still baffled with LG insists on edge lit local dimming when IPS needs that FALD more than any other panel type. Coming out with a really good FALD solution could make their 8500/9500 series not junk.

I bought one yesterday. I have not seen any ads on my 55" TCL P605 yet.

BTW: The 6xx is the good one with full backlighting. The one the OP posted is the 8xx - which is the super thin / looks cool model but only has edge lighting.

BTW: The 6xx is the good one with full backlighting. The one the OP posted is the 8xx - which is the super thin / looks cool model but only has edge lighting.

I mentioned that in the second post of this thread BTW.

I bought the TCL 49S405 but ended up retuning it. Connectivity issues galore and I was not overly impressed with the backlight bleed. I didn't expect a perfect TV at this price but it wasn't all that good.

Just picked up a Vizio M-50 to replace it. Light and day better. FYI, Best Buy currently has the M-50 on sale for $499.

Back