TCL 2021 6-series is all 8K

I bought 4k before there was tons of 4k content but it's still on the adolescent stages not even 4k content in broadcast media yet. When if that day comes then I'd consider adopting early 8k. Surely 8k desktop browsing and productivity is doable with what we have now but gaming we are still struggling with 4k add to that raytracing nothing is over the top capable. I'd think at 8k to make the screen real estate practical you'd need at least a 40" screen to split 4 usable ways. I doubt any mainstream 8k TV will do beyond 30hz as content/Hollywood standard will be 24hz limited at this time or even the near future.

What's the smallest they make tho? Even for gaming 8K would be fine thanks to integer scaling support for 4K, 1440p and 1080p. It comes down to if it could support e.g 120 Hz at those lower resolutions, VRR and so on.

For productivity 8K would be great for tons of desktop space while retaining very sharp UI and text. But if the only TV sizes available are very large then that's probably not that great. An 8K TV at say 50-55" would probably be totally usable as a desktop monitor without being massively oversize.

8K is weird because it would be great for desktop but is completely useless for TVs for many years..

What's the smallest they make tho? Even for gaming 8K would be fine thanks to integer scaling support for 4K, 1440p and 1080p. It comes down to if it could support e.g 120 Hz at those lower resolutions, VRR and so on.

For productivity 8K would be great for tons of desktop space while retaining very sharp UI and text. But if the only TV sizes available are very large then that's probably not that great. An 8K TV at say 50-55" would probably be totally usable as a desktop monitor without being massively oversize.

8K is weird because it would be great for desktop but is completely useless for TVs for many years..
No screen is 'useless' you just have to have a setup that can use it at the right distance... when you can't 'fit' the screen around your setup then it's too big/low PPI/etc.

The 2020 6 series goes down to 55". I'm hoping that will continue to be the case for 2021 models; 55" is probably doable with a floor stand or wall mount.

I just switched to an 8k monitor for my desktop with the clearance going on with the 2020 samsungs (65 q800t). Switched from a 4K 55 OLED, ended up going for a 65 since the pixel density would be a bit high for a 55. Its crazy sharp and really nice for photo editing (my main camera is 47mp so takes advantage of the extra resolution). With a 65 on my desk about 2-3ft away the native res pixel density is still too sharp, so I ended up running it at 150dpi. There is also a ton of new 8k footage out on youtube thanks to the canon R5, and 8k footage on an 8k monitor is like looking through a window, super sharp. I think in a year or two a lot of people currently running 4k monitors on their desks will be running 8k ones.

The 2020 6 series goes down to 55". I'm hoping that will continue to be the case for 2021 models; 55" is probably doable with a floor stand or wall mount.
Yeah you could probably work with 55" just fine at similar distances as say the LG CX 48" when it comes to how big the display feels overall. Now...can we get a 55" 8K LG OLED....

I just switched to an 8k monitor for my desktop with the clearance going on with the 2020 samsungs (65 q800t). Switched from a 4K 55 OLED, ended up going for a 65 since the pixel density would be a bit high for a 55. Its crazy sharp and really nice for photo editing (my main camera is 47mp so takes advantage of the extra resolution). With a 65 on my desk about 2-3ft away the native res pixel density is still too sharp, so I ended up running it at 150dpi. There is also a ton of new 8k footage out on youtube thanks to the canon R5, and 8k footage on an 8k monitor is like looking through a window, super sharp. I think in a year or two a lot of people currently running 4k monitors on their desks will be running 8k ones.
That's awesome to hear. Are you running it at 60hz RGB? What card are you using to drive it?

That's awesome to hear. Are you running it at 60hz RGB? What card are you using to drive it?

Planned on getting a 3090 but the miners ruined that for me, when they are available again at retail msrp I'll get one. On an ek watercooled zotac 2080ti, using the club3d displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter. The adapter doesn't always work right though and needs lots of power cycles to reset it when changing resolutions, but 4k120 upscaled by the tv looks really nice for COD gaming. Forza horizon 4 also can max out the 8k30 bandwidth on a 2080 ti, (havn't figured out how to get the stupid adapter to work at 8k60 rgb yet). Also the latest nvidia drivers broke 8k support through custom resolutions, so had to downgrade to get 8k working again. I imagine most of the issues would be worked out with a card that supported hdmi 2.1 natively. Definitely still in the early adopter issues crowd but seeing the potential of it and when it just works right its pretty awesome. As far as tv's / movies / home theater go, I still think projectors on a 100"+ screen are the best experience, but I suspect computer monitor use by geeks will drive a lot of 8k sales over the next year or two.

On an ek watercooled zotac 2080ti, using the club3d displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter. The adapter doesn't always work right though and needs lots of power cycles to reset it when changing resolutions, but 4k120 upscaled by the tv looks really nice for COD gaming.
Contact Club3D for a firmware update. My adapter has been rock solid on the v1.04 firmware. VRR is the only thing missing.

I do find that using a Nvidia driver above 456.71 version causes it to break DSC, resulting in 4:2:0 color at 4K 120 Hz as if it was connected over HDMI 2.0. I contacted Club3D about it but have not heard back yet. It's probably just an Nvidia driver issue.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
There are tons of generic demo reels and test shots if you search for canon r5 8k on youtube. It shoots 8k30 raw.
That's a hilarious answer haha. I don't get why they aren't just making better 4k TVs.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
That's a hilarious answer haha. I don't get why they aren't just making better 4k TVs.

because we dumb ass Americans throw money at anything new “cool” lol.

fucking sorry ass direct tv and spectrum after all these years of 4k only have like 2-3 garbage full 4k channels

Back