[TBG] Video Card Comparison: Blower-Style vs. Open-Air Coolers

wand3r3r

Limp Gawd
The Tech Buyers Guru has investigated open air (custom) vs. blower (reference) coolers. They tested a reference 780 ti and the MSI 780 ti Gaming models in both a full size ATX case as well as an ITX case, in single and in SLI modes.

They briefly cover the history of blower cards which I found interesting that it started off with loud vacuum like blower coolers (interesting with cards like the 290x).

http://techbuyersguru.com/coolercomparo.php

I found it interesting to see how well both cards maintain tolerable noise levels (imo). I personally really like MSI Twin Frozr coolers and it doesn't fail to disappoint. I have had this exact combination (reference + aftermarket) combo and came to the exact same conclusion about the best arrangement. There is a very significant difference between the cooler types with multiple cards, as well as the space requirements.

That's actually a benefit for XDMA crossfire, you don't need a physical connection so you can use e.g. slot 1 and slot 4 and have a huge air gap which would keep 2 custom cooled cards cooler than the comparable SLI setup which has to be close to each other.

I'm fairly surprised at how well the lackluster ITX case (in the sense that it doesn't have the air movement of an ATX case with multiple case fans) held up. Of course it helps that the reference card expels that heat and I suspect it would be a little different with a custom cooler in the ITX case.

What is your preference (single vs. dual as well)?

For me, it depends on the card and the case.

If the case doesn't have good vent, and I need a medium / medium-high card, I'd go with reference... It will exhaust the hot air easier, and I'll change the case's fans around for high positive case pressure.

For a case with plenty of vent with a medium-range card, I'll go with an open cooler. They tend to be happy, and make less noise.

For a high end card in a gaming system, unless I need to pack them all in, I'll always go with aftermarket coolers.

For a high end card in a server / workstation, I'll never stray from reference.

Back