[TBG] The Video Card Rankings - Fall 2014

wand3r3r

Limp Gawd
The Tech Buyers Guru has updated their Video card rankings with the newly introduced maxwell cards and current market pricing.

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/VideoCardRankings.php

Based on this history, we have doubts that the amazing new GTX 970, offering unheard of performance at its suggested retail price of $330, will actually remain broadly available at that price. If it does, it will be the most game-changing product since the awesome 8800 GT, on which our Speed Rating system is based. That card was released in October 2007 for $300 - and so, accounting for inflation, the GTX 970 on paper offers an impressive six times the performance as that card for the same price, translating to nearly one Speed Rating added for each of the seven years since the 8800 GT's debut.
It's interesting to see the concrete improvements.

I guess the rate used to be "doubling every 18-24 months"? Which would put it at 2007=1x, 12.2009=2x, 12.2011=4x, 12.2013=8x, 12.2014 = 16x. We're not there even if the large 980 ti brings 50% more.

It feels like nothing changes dramatically, since we have only got tiny bumps since 2010. At least the prices are finally back down to earth.

It's the first time in a long time when NV has a great card for a good price. I guess AMD will have to drop prices at some point.

+1 for competition.

Take a look at the pricing trends:
The 6x speed was brought down to earth a lot quicker then the other trends.
http://www.techbuyersguru.com/VideoCardRankings4.php

Does that mean that the market doesn't support the extremely high prices, or is it to hard to correlate anything like that from the chart.

Never came across this comparison series. Very useful information! Thank you for the post.

You're welcome, I agree on the usefulness and it's always fun to compare performance with past generations. The pricing trends are very interesting and it's fun to compare releases to see where they fall. :)

They investigated memory overclocking and found the memory holes/inconsistencies which were later discussed by The Stilt when he tightened the latencies in his BIOS mods for mining.

What do you guys think about the pricing trend? 28nm had some high pricing with only a couple value cards in the high end lately (290/970). Will the market withstand this increase, or will it only get worse?

nuW5uYZ.png

I'm having trouble understanding the chart.

For example, GTX 970 is 6x faster than what exactly, 8800GT and HD6670?

I'm having trouble understanding the chart.

For example, GTX 970 is 6x faster than what exactly, 8800GT and HD6670?

I hate stupid charts like that. Just stick with numbers and bar graphs. No reason to try to be super cool with your charting abilities. I'm finding a lot of tech sites are starting to do this to give the review some pizzaz and I spend more time trying to understand it than reading the entire review.

Its a BS chart honestly. There is no way that both the HD6970 and R7 265 are in the same performance bracket.

The r7 265 and 6970 are actually close, that line is the trend and cannot accurately run through the precise 3x speed or it would be jagged.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1061?vs=1127

The red lines were my paint attempt to portray pricing of high end and dual card setups from NV and AMD. They have raised the prices a lot this generation (28nm). Ignore that and the chart is pretty simple.

I'm not sure what the issue with that chart is, it's explained in the article, but it's quite straightforward.

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/VideoCardRankings.php

Speed rankings:
They have ranked GPUs based on the relative speed to an iconic gpu the 8800 GT. That is the baseline of 1x speed. Every GPU is relative to the 8800 GT, now you can see how fast the current GPUs are relative to the 2007 8800 GT.

We base our 1x Speed Rating on one of the most influential and game-changing video cards of all time, the Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, introduced in October 2007 at the $250 price point. In one fell swoop, it brought high-end graphics power to the masses, coming in at about half the price of the previous high-end card, the GeForce 8800 GTX, while offering almost the same processing power. Nothing stands still in the technology world, though, and it took just one year to drop the price of "1x Speed" from $250 to $130, with the introduction of the Radeon HD 4830.

Now the trend lines are just simple trends of the speed rankings, obviously with a trend some are a bit more powerful or expensive and fall slightly off of the trend line.

tldr;
The chart can actually predict future pricing fairly well. It's straightforward when you understand the ranking based on the performance relative to the 8800 GT. (2x ~ twice the performance of the 8800 gt). Read the article to understand, it's surprisingly not very difficult. ;)

^ Exactly, the performance that they have listed seems accurate on the cards. It's an interesting chart imo, it gathers aggregate data into a trend I haven't seen before.

Do you guys get the chart now?

What do you guys think about the pricing trend? 28nm had some high pricing with only a couple value cards in the high end lately (290/970). Will the market withstand this increase, or will it only get worse?

The pricing for higher end gaming cards during the past couple years has been skewed a bit by demand from bit coin miners.

If I recall correctly, the R9 280x and R9 290x were initially priced lower for retail.

I guess you mean that the mining demand did drive prices above retail for a while last winter, but even at retail prices were pretty high. (6970 was $380, 7970/290x were $550)

Not that hard to understand. The dotted line curves show relative performance. Price and release date are obvious then he has 3 levels of high end card prices showing the increase of top tier cards over time.

Hmm, this tells me I should really upgrade to a 290X.

Maybe read the article. It's not stating that, the 970 or 290 are the cards to buy (value-wise) with the new $299 price point the 290's back in the game.

Not that hard to understand. The dotted line curves show relative performance. Price and release date are obvious then he has 3 levels of high end card prices showing the increase of top tier cards over time.

Exactly, I'm not sure what the misunderstanding is?

What was hard to grasp?

Back