Taskbar as a Start menu alternative?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is there anyone else who uses the toolbars function of the taskbar as a Start menu alternative in Windows 8? I didn't think to do this until now, but you can simply create a master folder, add subfolders for categories, and then drag shortcuts into them. You can even sort and rename your shortcuts right from the menu.

HS3VJvo.jpg

All I have left to do is create a shortcut for restarting and shutting down my system. And I was getting all excited about the new Modern UI features of Windows 8.1; now I'm not sure if I will even be using it. :D

A lot of folks have bought this up, I've tried it and personal don't care much for it. I do add shortcuts for some things in a folder that's in my File Explorer Favorites. I did that with Windows 7 as well as going to the Start Menu wouldn't be necessary if I'm already in Explorer.

I thought about this before since I've done it as far back as Windows XP. The problem is that I don't have a lot of screen real estate given that half of it is already pinned by my commonly used programs. It's why I'm asking for a good 1440p monitor for under $600 in the Displays forum.

Never thought of this, that's a really good idea. I will be using this when I go to 8.1

Thank you OP!

I've been using this on Server 2012 for a while now. Works great.

I keep too much junk on my workstation desktop for this to be a good start menu replacement though.

Startisback is so much easier.

nice solution for people that don't have the option to install 3rd party software though

Is there anyone else who uses the toolbars function of the taskbar as a Start menu alternative in Windows 8? I didn't think to do this until now, but you can simply create a master folder, add subfolders for categories, and then drag shortcuts into them. You can even sort and rename your shortcuts right from the menu.

HS3VJvo.jpg

All I have left to do is create a shortcut for restarting and shutting down my system. And I was getting all excited about the new Modern UI features of Windows 8.1; now I'm not sure if I will even be using it. :D

May give that a try, may remove classic shell.. Hmmm...

hey mods and win8 fan boys. do you think the op is afraid of change? what have we come to! please ms change win8. great idea op!!!

The only advantage I could see to this is if you had a small resolution monitor, so you wanted to make categories to save space, other wise why not just pin what you use? But then again it wouldn't really work for that because if you had a small resolution monitor why would you risk losing all that space where pinned items could be for the categories?

So the only solution is you need to flip your task bar up onto one of the sides so you don't run out of space.

Seeing people hobble along reinventing the wheel is painful

I wish I could do something about it

Try truelaunchbar and freelaunchbar I guess

Back