Task Manager CPU Usage is Broken in the October 2018 Update

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a Reddit user, the Task Manager is showing incorrect CPU usage in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. Per application CPU usage appears to be understated. Microsoft acknowledged this bug in a previous Windows build, but apparently it managed to slip into the current release. Thanks to Joe Wood for the tip.

On Patch Tuesday (October 9), Microsoft is expected to ship a new cumulative update for Windows 10 October 2018 Update with a fix for the Task Manager bug and other issues. Microsoft has tried to refine Task Manager in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809). The Task Manager now shows you the power usage of each process on your Windows 10 device and there's another column called "Power Usage Trend" that shows you the longer-term trend.

Correct, it's been fixed in the fast ring as of a week or 2 ago though.

Task manager often doesn't show proper CPU usage on servers. I often have no idea why so much CPU is being used due to it sometimes just not showing me enough about what's running. And yes, I'm running it as administrator. It's very frustrating.

Much easier in Linux ;) and reliable.

Task manager often doesn't show proper CPU usage on servers. I often have no idea why so much CPU is being used due to it sometimes just not showing me enough about what's running. And yes, I'm running it as administrator. It's very frustrating.

Much easier in Linux ;) and reliable.

I use it occasionally, but the actual numbers never really seem to correlate. Still, if you're just looking to see "WTF is using all the CPU?" it can be handy for that.

I find that there's a slew of broken features in win10, or at least things that frequently malfunction. For example, the hibernate function has never worked right for me.

If everything else is broken, might as well break the CPU usage display as well.

Task Manager has always been shit about those stats. HWInfo works like a champ though. Havent tried the updated afterburner usage stats but I would wager that's decent too but a lot more of a pain to read than HWInfo imo.

This was reported weeks ago, but I think MS was dead set on finalizing the 1809 update for a launch on 10/2.

Well, until it doesn't actually show what's using all the CPU, which happens fairly often for me. It's very frustrating.

I use it occasionally, but the actual numbers never really seem to correlate. Still, if you're just looking to see "WTF is using all the CPU?" it can be handy for that.

I'd like to see task manager utilize the dark mode as well. im liking the look of that so far.

Based on that screenshot you can tell there's an open Firefox tab.

TM started having metric issues for me around 1-2 years ago on my 4930k rig so this doesn't surprise me. It doesn't seem to know what my clock speeds are vs. BIOS settings.

Windows 10 cpu usage always seemed wrong to me.. it diffred from the details list with show the same as windows 7 process list

You were already getting inaccurate information before this bug. CPU utilization is poorly calculated and displayed inaccurately. Relying on the task manager to identify load is a bad practice.

So does TM still reset its features when the OS shuts down none-gracefully? Is this "feature" still present in 10?

Process Explorer is much better than task manager anyways.
99% of the time I just need what taskmanager does, show cpu and memory usage, whether it is safe to run another process. No need for process explorer for that.

Back