Tariffs on Certain PC Computer Parts Lifted

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.techpowerup.com/259481/...xempt-of-tariffs-on-chinese-imports-to-the-us

The US Trade Representative on Friday granted a reprieve to the increased tariffs being levied at China-imported electronic goods. The exemption, valid for one year until 20th August 2020, includes some products that will be welcome to PC hardware enthusiasts, including motherboards, graphics cards, desktop cases, "mouse input devices" valued over $70, "trackpad input units" valued at over $100, and power supply units that output more than 500 W.

The exempts have come as fruits of requests from US stakeholders in the hardware space; should imports be available only from China (meaning there are no alternate sources of said materials) or if the tariff could cause "severe economic harm", a temporary reprieve on the levies could be sought. And so the exempts were requested, and now granted. Prices paid before the announcement of the reprieve that included the added tax penalties are final; the exemption is only valid for orders after September 20th. This means the 25% increased rates (itself an increase on the initial 10%) on the tax basis are now frozen when it comes to the aforementioned hardware. This means companies no longer have to scramble to source their manufacturing to countries other than China, and that prices increased for end consumers on the basis of the tax increase are now meritless.

The question is do importers continue on as if they could come back at any minute because the administration may just change their mind? Or do they roll back their processes they put in place to deal with the tariffs and hope they don’t come back in.

The question is do importers continue on as if they could come back at any minute because the administration may just change their mind? Or do they roll back their processes they put in place to deal with the tariffs and hope they don’t come back in.

These kinds of things happen all the time. It's more publicized at this moment for political reasons, but tariffs are all over the place. And in general, companies have to deal with ever changing regulations (think of the Affordable Care Act, or Income Tax laws).

Here is the database for US tarriffs. There are thousands and thousands of tarriffs.
https://dataweb.usitc.gov/tariff/database

I typed in the word "cheese" and 308 items came back. Those are active tariffs just on cheese. Some have been active for decades.

The power supplies specified are a 2U server form factor (148mm in length, 43 mm in width and 335 mm in height ), not ATX models so no help for us there.

I'm wondering what the $100 trackpads are supposed to be. Some laptop OEMs might charge that much for a replacement part (or much more if they've glued it, the keyboard, the top half of the chassis, and the battery into a single monolithic assembly); but that's gotta be pure markup pricing not what the part's actually worth.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-20442.pdf

At least cases are finally safe. Maybe this will bring some more stock to the stores allowing the prices to drop the $30 they've all gone up over the past couple of months.

Good news and one less excuse for the high video card prices.

I don't think these tariffs actually ever went into effect did they? I mean they were announced, a date when they would go into effect was announced, Trump granted a temp reprieve, and I think this is the actual result of that reprieve so I'm not sure the US actually charged anyone anything for the import of these goods beyond the previous values.

Does anyone know differently?

I don't recall if the tariffs went into effect but many people were using that as a justification for high prices this generation.

I don't recall if the tariffs went into effect but many people were using that as a justification for high prices this generation.
They started on July 7. They had no effect on this generations tech. Honestly seems like stuff been getting cheaper. Everything but Nvidia gpus.

Didn't intend to suggest otherwise, just thought it worth bringing up.

They started on July 7. They had no effect on this generations tech. Honestly seems like stuff been getting cheaper. Everything but Nvidia gpus.

I searched for my Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti lately out of curiosity and found it was $289 Canadian instead of $200 like I paid in December 2017. Just checked the exchange rate and there's only like 5 cents difference at that time.

The Tech companies and the resellers will just look at this and say, "Meh, they are now use to paying a higher price, let's leave it there". Very similar to the "Mining Craze". Bitcoin and others crashed, but the pricing of the cards did not start to decline until many many months after, or in Nvidia's case not ever.

I searched for my Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti lately out of curiosity and found it was $289 Canadian instead of $200 like I paid in December 2017. Just checked the exchange rate and there's only like 5 cents difference at that time.

I don't what's up with your specific card, but Newegg.ca has 1050 Ti's starting at $200, which is also where 1650's are starting at. Since the latter is about 50% more powerful for the same price my guess is that the 1050 Ti is discontinued and what's left on the market is new old stock that the sellers are trying to unload on people who don't know better at prices high enough they don't take a loss. Even by those standards $289 is idiotic although if was one of the fastest 1050 Ti's made you could be looking at attempted fleece the stupid pricing of some sort I guess.

I don't what's up with your specific card, but Newegg.ca has 1050 Ti's starting at $200, which is also where 1650's are starting at. Since the latter is about 50% more powerful for the same price my guess is that the 1050 Ti is discontinued and what's left on the market is new old stock that the sellers are trying to unload on people who don't know better at prices high enough they don't take a loss. Even by those standards $289 is idiotic although if was one of the fastest 1050 Ti's made you could be looking at attempted fleece the stupid pricing of some sort I guess.
This. It probably was a 3rd party sellers trying to jack the price up on discounted parts. Always happens on NE and Amazon.

This. It probably was a 3rd party sellers trying to jack the price up on discounted parts. Always happens on NE and Amazon.
NewEgg's price is actually higher in this case.

upload_2019-9-25_16-41-30.png

NewEgg's price is actually higher in this case.

View attachment 189436

Probably because Newegg's algorithms know some people are willing to pay a premium for them vs random 3rd parties, and there're no longer enough 1050 Ti sales to apply a countervailing 'these prices are idiotic and no one will actually pay that' signal.

Back