Target render versus actual final render Watch Dogs video comparison.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGIi9VA_AI#t=30

Man.. the difference is quite easily seen and this demo footage for release is from the PS4. Looks like the PC version will be the one to get..

Target renders can be quite deceptive of what actually turns out to be the final release as recently seen from Aliens : Colonial Marines (to some degree Farcry 3) which looked HUGELY different at final release.

How do you guys feel about publishers releasing target render trailers and passing them off as in game footage for final release? We all know about the warning "Does not represent final product" and so on but isn't this just getting to the point of the absurd?

I've read a little about these complaints. Maybe I'm ignorant to some information, but people are complaining that the PS4 version doesn't look as good as the high end PC version? Or am I missing something?

I don't have a problem with the company showing PC footage of the game instead of console, but if they tried to pass PC footage off as console, I have a problem with that.

From what I remember, when Watch Dogs was announced in 2012 they did not give specific platforms. At that time, all they could show was PC.

I've read a little about these complaints. Maybe I'm ignorant to some information, but people are complaining that the PS4 version doesn't look as good as the high end PC version? Or am I missing something?

I don't have a problem with the company showing PC footage of the game instead of console, but if they tried to pass PC footage off as console, I have a problem with that.

From what I remember, when Watch Dogs was announced in 2012 they did not give specific platforms. At that time, all they could show was PC.

Exactly as long as they are not misrepresenting it. Showing pc footage is fine but it needs to be stated and then upon release it better match up. No metalgear or colonial marines bullshit.

This.

When the game was first shown off we were getting PC footage. Right now we're getting footage that looks worse, but the platform is undisclosed. Lets consider that Ubisoft first showed the game on PC, as that's the only confirmed platform. At that point in the dev cycle, they are probably mostly in the dark on what they can do on the upcoming, unannounced consoles. They probably hoped this level of detail was capable on the consoles. Two years later, they know it's not.

Now, lets say the PC version actually does still look like the first showing. If they continued to use that as the only platform they show off, it would be a disaster. We would have AC:M all over again. PC gamers would be happy, but everyone with a PS4 or XB1 would rage that the game doesn't look anything like they promised. The other option would be for Ubi to start showing off the game on their "next gen" platform. When it releases, it still looks better on PC, making those guys happy, but at least the console people knew what to expect before they came home with the game. They may not be happy, but there is a lot less to rage about. Hopefully this is what is going on.

If what we're seeing now is what the game looks like on all platforms... well, that sucks. But at least they are showing it to you now. Again.. they could pull an AC:M and just lie to everyone until it's sitting on your HDD. If you're worried, go cancel your pre-order and move along.

Exactly as long as they are not misrepresenting it. Showing pc footage is fine but it needs to be stated and then upon release it better match up. No metalgear or colonial marines bullshit.

One of the earlier gameplay videos of Watch Dogs was running on high-end PCs but had on-screen button-prompts for the Playstation controller. Fairly blatant misrepresentation right there.

One of the earlier gameplay videos of Watch Dogs was running on high-end PCs but had on-screen button-prompts for the Playstation controller. Fairly blatant misrepresentation right there.

Yeah that is, ill have to go look at that. was that at a Sony conference or ubisofts own event?

Don't get the point of the comparison. It's PC vs Console. And we know who always wins that. Need to compare that footage with the actual PC retail release. Now if that sucks.. Then we can bitch:O

Maybe the PC copy supports button prompts for PS4 controllers.. I know almost every PC game does for Xbox 360 Controller. But that was last gen.

Maybe the PC copy supports button prompts for PS4 controllers.. I know almost every PC game does for Xbox 360 Controller. But that was last gen.

Maybe. Do PCs detect the PS4 controller like the 360 controller? PCs needed a mod for PS3 controllers to work IIRC.

You act like this is a new thing. Companies used high end PCs to show early 360 and PS3 games as well, same with PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. Games in early stages of development are also often shown on PCs and not on actual console hardware. There is a reason it's called a "Target Render". These games always have prompts for the controller currently being used.

It would be nice if one of these days the target render was actually worse than the final game.

It would be nice if one of these days the target render was actually worse than the final game.

Devs always tend to over estimate with new consoles. I assume it is much easier to scale down a game's graphics to fit the hardware than to try and make it look better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGIi9VA_AI#t=30

Man.. the difference is quite easily seen and this demo footage for release is from the PS4. Looks like the PC version will be the one to get..

Target renders can be quite deceptive of what actually turns out to be the final release as recently seen from Aliens : Colonial Marines (to some degree Farcry 3) which looked HUGELY different at final release.

How do you guys feel about publishers releasing target render trailers and passing them off as in game footage for final release? We all know about the warning "Does not represent final product" and so on but isn't this just getting to the point of the absurd?

Not sure why you felt the need to make a new thread on this, posting the same crap again. But whatever, this was my reply to the other thread.

That comparison video is mostly bullshit. It's funny because his riverside comparison has the wrong labels at first (on purpose or accidental I'm not sure), and the trailer video he pulled from is just overly compressed. If you take the gamersyde video and compare it's virtually identical to the 2013 (imo anyway).

He also fails to include the other gameplay video from 2013 which shows cars in the same bad way as the infamous gif.

We really need to stop going back to the 2012 reveal. It was running on a high-end PC and well before the next-gen console hardware was finalized, so there's no point.

Not sure why you felt the need to make a new thread on this, posting the same crap again. But whatever, this was my reply to the other thread.

That comparison video is mostly bullshit. It's funny because his riverside comparison has the wrong labels at first (on purpose or accidental I'm not sure), and the trailer video he pulled from is just overly compressed. If you take the gamersyde video and compare it's virtually identical to the 2013 (imo anyway).

He also fails to include the other gameplay video from 2013 which shows cars in the same bad way as the infamous gif.

We really need to stop going back to the 2012 reveal. It was running on a high-end PC and well before the next-gen console hardware was finalized, so there's no point.

Exactly when did I post this same thread before? This thread is about target renders and how its becoming more frequent to see renders that are entirely unrealistic except with high end PC's. This video is just a recent example. I'd use Aliens : Colonial Marines as probably the worst of the recent examples of how different a game is from the target render.
It wouldn't be that much of an issue if the publishers were pushing around trailers of target renders as if they were final footage and hiding tiny little * lines stating *Does not represent final product*. Its fine to expect the final product to change but the differences are getting more and more pronounced graphically.

The point being is that Watch Dogs was one of the best looking launch titles for the PS4/Xbox One (at the time) and after it got delayed right before the next gen console launch it left quite a few questions as to why. Now we know why , it was entirely unrealistic to expect it to look like how it did during the various Demo's in 2013. Perhaps it will look close to the target render on PC but not the bullshit sandwich we were fed as to how it would look on next gen consoles.

I don't know about you but I like the games I'm being show to meet at least 90-95 percent of the demo being shown at E3 in terms of graphics and there are times when the target render is actually worse than the final result for some games.

The point of this thread isn't console war comparison bullshit its that we're being shown one demo and presented with a final result that has been toned down significantly.

Exactly when did I post this same thread before? This thread is about target renders and how its becoming more frequent to see renders that are entirely unrealistic except with high end PC's. This video is just a recent example. I'd use Aliens : Colonial Marines as probably the worst of the recent examples of how different a game is from the target render.
It wouldn't be that much of an issue if the publishers were pushing around trailers of target renders as if they were final footage and hiding tiny little * lines stating *Does not represent final product*. Its fine to expect the final product to change but the differences are getting more and more pronounced graphically.

The point being is that Watch Dogs was one of the best looking launch titles for the PS4/Xbox One (at the time) and after it got delayed right before the next gen console launch it left quite a few questions as to why. Now we know why , it was entirely unrealistic to expect it to look like how it did during the various Demo's in 2013. Perhaps it will look close to the target render on PC but not the bullshit sandwich we were fed as to how it would look on next gen consoles.

I don't know about you but I like the games I'm being show to meet at least 90-95 percent of the demo being shown at E3 in terms of graphics and there are times when the target render is actually worse than the final result for some games.

The point of this thread isn't console war comparison bullshit its that we're being shown one demo and presented with a final result that has been toned down significantly.

There is already a thread in the PC forum and all of these videos/gifs are in there.

You should've used a better title and maybe some other games with evidence if you were trying to make a more general statement.

In regards to Watch Dogs specifically, everyone jumped on that one gif and some b-roll as evidence of a "downgrade" when in fact there is plenty of evidence to support at the game is unchanged from 2013.

Aside from that, wasn't the main problem with Colonial Marines the fact that the misleading footage was shown basically up to release? So people were pre-ordering on a game that didn't exist in that form? I didn't follow that whole debacle so correct me if I'm wrong.

All we have to go on is their word, whether you chose to accept that or not is your choice. I'll chose to wait until the game is actually out.

Also, there was an article about why Watch Dogs was delayed, and it had nothing to do with the graphics. It was all gameplay. But again, you can choose to believe what you want.

And I don't know about you, but I like to wait until a game has released before passing any real or final judgement.

That is a awful stretch. Misrepresentation. That's all. The Watch Dogs footage was straight-up during the Sony E3 Conference. Why would they show PC footage unless it was misrepresented?

The biggest thing this demonstrates is how far behind both consoles are. Drive Club looks absolutely horrendous, leaving the only graphical showcases for the ps4 as Killzone and Infamous, Killzone is a snoozefest at best, and Infamous looks the same, there is absolutely nothing new/intriguing about it. Both consoles come no where close to meeting target renders in Forza 5, and now drive club.

The 360 launched with close to if not better than PC hardware at the time, these console lifetimes had better be short, or they will be so incredibly obsolete by pc hardware it will be extremely possible to build a better PC at or above the console specs 5 years down the line. Especially with DDR4 and GDDR6 launching.

Imagine if Sony hadnt lucked the heck out with memory price dropping significantly and they were only able to afford 4gb of the gddr5, what a nightmare

The biggest thing this demonstrates is how far behind both consoles are. Drive Club looks absolutely horrendous, leaving the only graphical showcases for the ps4 as Killzone and Infamous, Killzone is a snoozefest at best, and Infamous looks the same, there is absolutely nothing new/intriguing about it. Both consoles come no where close to meeting target renders in Forza 5, and now drive club.

The 360 launched with close to if not better than PC hardware at the time, these console lifetimes had better be short, or they will be so incredibly obsolete by pc hardware it will be extremely possible to build a better PC at or above the console specs 5 years down the line. Especially with DDR4 and GDDR6 launching.

Imagine if Sony hadnt lucked the heck out with memory price dropping significantly and they were only able to afford 4gb of the gddr5, what a nightmare

Yeah, I'm calling it: this console generation will be worse for PC gaming than the PS360 generation. Both the PS4 and Xbox One are tapped out already, and it's not like developers can find new magic ways to improve the graphics because the systems are different - it's all x86 architecture.

What would be great is if Nintendo took this opportunity to launch a superior console in the next few years because they have better exclusives now then both X1 and PS4 this first year.

What would be great is if Nintendo took this opportunity to launch a superior console in the next few years because they have better exclusives now then both X1 and PS4 this first year.

Well there are rumors , quite a fury of them actually , that Nintendo is going to launch a "true" next gen system. I would imagine that they intended it to be off in the future but with the Wii-U at a stand still in terms of sales (although the Wii U funny enough still sold more during its launch than the PS4 did during Japan's launch) it makes logical sense for Nintendo to push it out the door faster and attempt to move the Wii-U behind them.

Nintendo is actually in a really interesting position right now. They know exactly what kind of hardware it will take to beat their competition , they know that as long as the console they launch is on par with the PS4 that they can easily gain back any developer/publishers they lost and if the price is right then they could actually provide some competition this time around.

But we all know Nintendo. They will probably fuck it up and take a weird path. I would love to be wrong but their past history educates us otherwise.

the lighting in the video is drastically different.
i may not notice if i was to smear patrol jelly on my screen.

the lighting in the video is drastically different.
i may not notice if i was to smear patrol jelly on my screen.

That's what I said. It's like they decided to turn off advanced lighting/shadows. Everything looks dull and overly bright. I'm hoping that's just something they dropped from the console version to make it run. It'd be a plus for the PC version if we still had the advanced options.

I think this will be one of Ubisofts first next gen titles where we see how they handle the port. In the past, their ports have been iffy. Since this is x86, I'm hoping it'll be better where instead of adding things to the PC (porting to PC), it'll be just stripping things for the consoles (porting to consoles). It'd be a win for PC gamers.

As for Nintendo .. Knowing them, they'll muck up any chance to jump on the competition. Being they're behind on certain interfaces (MP, etc). Make a Nintendo powered by a Steam clone. The ecosystem is where the money is. So if they have a console that plays PC titles, they lose. Unless, they have a store that takes a cut. The games could be very simple ports - Linux, test on hardware, lock in options for best frame rate. Add in exclusives and they may have a winner.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm calling it: this console generation will be worse for PC gaming than the PS360 generation. Both the PS4 and Xbox One are tapped out already, and it's not like developers can find new magic ways to improve the graphics because the systems are different - it's all x86 architecture.

not that this is going to make people and developers flock back to the PC

Back