Target Has $70 Blu-ray Players

Here's the http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp5010_f7/bdp5010_f7_dfu_aen.pdf]manual for this player. It doesn't seem to support mp3 nor DLNA, so I'll be passing this one.

I need a standalone player that can read network storage devices and play back mp3's as well as do Blu-ray and DVD. I know there's a lot of players that can do it but they're all in the $179-300 range. This is for a spare room, so I don't want to spend too much.

I have friends that buy truck loads of returned electronics and sell them on ebay. These philips are the number one returned dvd player period. a 10 to 1 ratio. And while most electronics that are returned, still function. These philips were always almost DOA.

This is not a deal. This is a way to throw your money away.

This price is low for a reason.

In fact, don't take my word for it. Go Google Philips dvd quality. It's all there black and white.

This deal is COLD.

Having experienced Philips DVD players in the past, I'm gonna avoid it. If it were anything but a Philips I might be tempted.

Ya get what you pay for.

Maybe, but that Blu-ray player used to be in the $200 price range before the drop. Should be "you get what you deserve" - as in if you don't do your research, you're gonna get burned. ;)

I have a PS3 for a blu-ray player, it gets all the updates, that's way better than any budget blu-ray player!

Thought about buying one since I don't have Blu-ray yet, but it won't give me any more time for the already large backlog of TV shows, games, and movies I have yet to finish. I might as well pass for now, and when I'm ready, there should be more competition in the sub-$100 arena and better quality.

Having experienced Philips DVD players in the past, I'm gonna avoid it. If it were anything but a Philips I might be tempted.

huh. i own a phillips DVD/DivX player and been really happy with it. so have friends that own one. go figure. what bothered you in particular with phillips?

I also own 2 Phillips DVP5140's and a DVP3982 that play back Divx/avi (and the 3982 does MP4 as well. I have been very satisfied with them so far.

huh. i own a phillips DVD/DivX player and been really happy with it. so have friends that own one. go figure. what bothered you in particular with phillips?

I also own 2 Phillips DVP5140's and a DVP3982 that play back Divx/avi (and the 3982 does MP4 as well. I have been very satisfied with them so far.

Me3, my Phillips DVDplayer/Theater in a box works wonderfully for the past 4 years, then again, it wasn't bottom of the barrel/cheapest dvd player i could find.

To be honest they were cheaper units, like the one in question. One was an up-convert HDMI unit. The picture quality was terrible, the HDMI quit working, anything that you burned yourself wouldn't play (tried everything), it was slow, uhmm..... The other one wouldn't play any DVD that had any semblance of a scratch on it. I think that was the same one that would lock up and you couldn't get the DVD back out of the drive without prying the damn thing open. :mad:

Not saying Philips is totally bad. Their TV's seem to be pretty good. I did read reviews on a combo LCD/DVD unit a while back and all the complaints about it were based around the.....DVD player part. My folks have a 32" Philips TV and love it.

I will say that this shows promise that Blu-Ray players might finally be coming down in price.

I have a PS3 for a blu-ray player, it gets all the updates, that's way better than any budget blu-ray player!

Until you get a YLOD and sony tlls you that will be 150 dollars to fix it, because they provide a horrible 1 year warranty, and to buy one costs at least 4 times what this one does, but other than those few flaws your right it's "way better than any budget blu-ray player!".

But I think I will also pass, not because of it's brand, but because it's @ target and their return policy's are a conveluted nightmare of a pain in the ass, honestly I would rather be taken out back kicked in the jewels than to have to stand in line and explain to 6 different people 3 of whom were managers, that the gameboy I had just bought for my girl friend was DOA when I took it out of the box that was sealed with a piece of duct tape, kust so I can get my money back!

To me it's the store not the player that make this a pass.

Me3, my Phillips DVDplayer/Theater in a box works wonderfully for the past 4 years, then again, it wasn't bottom of the barrel/cheapest dvd player i could find.

Probably because its Funani (sp?) now and not Phillips. I have a phillips lcd that was made right before they were bought.

Why not just put $70 towards a a PS3? That way you get a bluray player that you know sony is going to be dedicated to keeping up to date for the next 7-8 years and a box that operates as a media center as well.
I'm waiting on the next gran turismo to actually come out or the price to drop a little more on the PS3 slims.

Why not just put $70 towards a a PS3? That way you get a bluray player that you know sony is going to be dedicated to keeping up to date for the next 7-8 years and a box that operates as a media center as well.
I'm waiting on the next gran turismo to actually come out or the price to drop a little more on the PS3 slims.

I can't personally imagine buying a bluray player unless it has some other purpose like playing games.

Until you get a YLOD and sony tlls you that will be 150 dollars to fix it, because they provide a horrible 1 year warranty, and to buy one costs at least 4 times what this one does, but other than those few flaws your right it's "way better than any budget blu-ray player!".

But I think I will also pass, not because of it's brand, but because it's @ target and their return policy's are a conveluted nightmare of a pain in the ass, honestly I would rather be taken out back kicked in the jewels than to have to stand in line and explain to 6 different people 3 of whom were managers, that the gameboy I had just bought for my girl friend was DOA when I took it out of the box that was sealed with a piece of duct tape, kust so I can get my money back!

derr?

i've had mine for a year and a half and it gets minimum useage, but i've had zero problems with the PS3. At least it's not a 360 RRoDing every other month

I'm also going to chime in and say I'm a day one PS3 user with zero issue. The only time I had "trouble" was when I brought my PS3 over to my brother's who had a smaller TV at the time and the PS3 would turn on, but not display on his TV. This was because his TV was 720p and I had my PS3 set up for 1080p with 720p unchecked.

Reading the manual would tell you to hold down your PS3's power button to put it in standby (red light), then hold down the power button again for 3 seconds until it beeps twice, then wait 10 seconds and the display will reset to 480p, then you can change the resolution to 720p.

But that's hardly an issue.

derr?

i've had mine for a year and a half and it gets minimum useage, but i've had zero problems with the PS3. At least it's not a 360 RRoDing every other month

PS3 is the best Blu-ray player out there, bar none.

With that said:

I have a launch unit, it plays games / Blu-ray in a 50/50 split...mines been down three times...only one was covered under warranty.

The $599.99 ($649 counting HD cables)

$300 repairs ($150 x 2)

(Disclaimer: I have multiple Xbox 360s and over the last 5 years: I've had two RRoDs and an E74 in that time, all fixed for free. We have a Wii as well. The Wii was bricked by an update right off the bat - fixed for free)

I also had 2 bricked Wii, both repaired for free. Nintendo even emailed me a FedEx ticket for me to ship it free too. Can't beat that!

Both Wii were returned with a repair log saying the mainboard had been replaced.

I just bought a cheapish samsung blu ray player for a second tv. Just realised but its the first one to have a fan! its damn noisy too. Didnt realise till I plugged it in at home

since when did a blu ray players need cooling??

I've got the $499 OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player (Amazon.com).
As far as I'm concerned, it is THE best Blu-ray player out there.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
PS3 is the best Blu-ray player out there, bar none.

With that said:

I have a launch unit, it plays games / Blu-ray in a 50/50 split...mines been down three times...only one was covered under warranty.

The $599.99 ($649 counting HD cables)

$300 repairs ($150 x 2)

(Disclaimer: I have multiple Xbox 360s and over the last 5 years: I've had two RRoDs and an E74 in that time, all fixed for free. We have a Wii as well. The Wii was bricked by an update right off the bat - fixed for free)

Everybody's gonna have problems, there's people with launch 360's that by some miracle still work fine to this day.

There's always extremes, but that said, as we both agree, the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player simply because you can get all the latest firmware updates and it plays Blu Ray and upscales DVD with good quality

Kinda how I feel about BR in general...

Well, I do appreciate the 1080p resolution, but when I play blu-ray movies on my PC on my 1080p monitor, the image quality is much better when using Cyberlink PowerDVD than Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum. Even my kids could notice the difference right off the bat.

Everybody's gonna have problems, there's people with launch 360's that by some miracle still work fine to this day.

There's always extremes, but that said, as we both agree, the PS3 is the best Blu Ray player simply because you can get all the latest firmware updates and it plays Blu Ray and upscales DVD with good quality

Yeah, but the PS3 consumes around 140-160W when watching movies (around 180W when playing games). The Wii consumes around 15W when playing games (oh, how I wish it could play DVD's.. curse you, Nintendo!). Most DVD players and Blu-ray players consume far less than 40W when watching movies. If you watch a lot of movies, I'd definitely consider this.

I don't care about my electricity bill, it isn't going to send me into the poorhouse

I sometimes hook my laptop up to my TV to watch stuff using HDMi, sometimes I use the dvd tray on my laptop, I don't have a DVD player hooked up to my TV, just the PS3 and sometimes my laptop, I can really use either.

It's nice to be able to browse the web on my big screen, but other times it's not cause the resolution doesn't look as good or as crisp as it does on a native monitor

Wattage really only matters if you're gonna do heavy duty pulling a lot, if you're watching the odd movie here or there, it wont' break your bank.

I'm almost never home as it is, so it's really all moot.

Back