Tape vs. Disk Backups

I just saw that in an SMB magazine today.....
I was looking at some HP D2D2500 models earlier..but this Zenith product looks nice. Looking for a backup appliance like this for a client with 5x servers..wanna ditch those stand alone tape drives.

What about Zenith's BDR: http://www.zenithinfotech.com/bdr_sol.asp

We're actually tossing around buying one of these today. The reviews I have read are pretty good.

If you go back to post #11

That is what I have and I am so happy with it.
If you have more questions about it ask away.

If you go back to post #11

That is what I have and I am so happy with it.
If you have more questions about it ask away.

The 2100r is exactly the one we're looking at. I don't know how I missed your earlier post. Have you ever had to use the virtual server? If so, is the 30 minutes really accurate and do you lose any functionality?

If you don't mind; what did you pay for the 2100r?

The 2100r is exactly the one we're looking at. I don't know how I missed your earlier post. Have you ever had to use the virtual server? If so, is the 30 minutes really accurate and do you lose any functionality?

If you don't mind; what did you pay for the 2100r?

I did do a test virtual server of my file/print/sql server on a weekend. It really did only take about 30 minutes to have it up and running. This was a server that has 11 gigs used on the boot driver and 100 gigs used on the data drive. From my desktop I could access everything that was on the server just fine. I never used it as a production virtual server yet, but I also have only had it for a few months.

When I did a test restore of a single email directly to the users inbox it toke about 7 minutes to do that. Restoring a file is even quicker.

I did not outright buy the 2100r. I went through a reseller that I use that also handles anything for me while I go on vacation since I am a one person IT shop here (small nonprofit trade association with 20 employees). I pay $199 a month for the 2100r and $0.59 per gig offsite and it does get pretty good compression. You have to choose whole partitions to be offsite or not. I had a brunch of crap (ms patches, drivers etc) that where on a partition I was going to be sending offsite so I had to buy a new drive to put that crap on because no way was I going to pay to offsite back that up,

Total setup time of the server was about 4 hours not including the first overnight full base backup of all the servers (which is then mailed to the company on a sata drive). That 4 hours did include testing of their restore boot cd on my servers to make sure nic and raid controller drivers loaded.

I will also say the 2100r is loud. Very loud compared to my 3 Dell servers sitting next to it.

I did do a test virtual server of my file/print/sql server on a weekend. It really did only take about 30 minutes to have it up and running. This was a server that has 11 gigs used on the boot driver and 100 gigs used on the data drive. From my desktop I could access everything that was on the server just fine. I never used it as a production virtual server yet, but I also have only had it for a few months.

When I did a test restore of a single email directly to the users inbox it toke about 7 minutes to do that. Restoring a file is even quicker.

I did not outright buy the 2100r. I went through a reseller that I use that also handles anything for me while I go on vacation since I am a one person IT shop here (small nonprofit trade association with 20 employees). I pay $199 a month for the 2100r and $0.59 per gig offsite and it does get pretty good compression. You have to choose whole partitions to be offsite or not. I had a brunch of crap (ms patches, drivers etc) that where on a partition I was going to be sending offsite so I had to buy a new drive to put that crap on because no way was I going to pay to offsite back that up,

Total setup time of the server was about 4 hours not including the first overnight full base backup of all the servers (which is then mailed to the company on a sata drive). That 4 hours did include testing of their restore boot cd on my servers to make sure nic and raid controller drivers loaded.

I will also say the 2100r is loud. Very loud compared to my 3 Dell servers sitting next to it.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I think this is what we're going to do!

Serious quote?

Yeah, I just filled out their form on their website to contact me.
I am planning an upgrade of a backup system for a client with 5x existing servers in their rack. Currently a bunch of mix-matched old school tape drives..but due to fast growth of their servers..it's time to redo their backup system. After reading through the Zenith website a bit...the product does look very interesting to me.

Yeah, I just filled out their form on their website to contact me.
I am planning an upgrade of a backup system for a client with 5x existing servers in their rack. Currently a bunch of mix-matched old school tape drives..but due to fast growth of their servers..it's time to redo their backup system. After reading through the Zenith website a bit...the product does look very interesting to me.

check pm

Back