Tampa Man Says Apple AirPod Earphone Blew Up

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple is investigating an incident out of Florida in which one’s man’s right AirPod reportedly blew up. Jason Colon says he was working out at an LA Fitness when smoke began billowing out one of the earpieces.

“This looks like this was the battery,” Colon said when explaining the malfunction to 8 On Your Side. He isn’t exactly sure what happened to the right AirPod, but he’s definitely sure others should be warned. “Just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again,” he said.

This is outrageous. Everyone knows apple only uses the best, safest batteries ever that are designed to last for a lifetime !

What's that? Lifetime is the expected lifetime of the tech which is 6 months? Not the actual lifetime that the device can last?

What? Apple batteries explode just like all other types? They are not magical? There is no unicorn dust powering them?

Well he'll. . .

And I'm sure he will say they have never been dropped or damaged. Most batteries self-destruct from damage, not internal failure. Media tends to ignore this since it doesn't sound like exciting news once you mention that.

And I'm sure he will say they have never been dropped or damaged. Most batteries self-destruct from damage, not internal failure. Media tends to ignore this since it doesn't sound like exciting news once you mention that.
Dropped? Yeah, that's not user negligence... That can only be considered normal use, as that is an expected occurance.

This is outrageous. Everyone knows apple only uses the best, safest batteries ever that are designed to last for a lifetime !

What's that? Lifetime is the expected lifetime of the tech which is 6 months? Not the actual lifetime that the device can last?

What? Apple batteries explode just like all other types? They are not magical? There is no unicorn dust powering them?

Well he'll. . .

I thought it was fairy dust and unicorn tears.

Well he'll. . .

They just forgot to slow down his earbuds.

Reactions: Nunu
like this
Seriously? No sorry dropped is user damage.
Yeah if they put a warning to that end, who in their right ming would buy that crap? Dropping out either from your hands or ear will happen with such small things.. i mean i guess you can tie then to your neck or something, defeats being wireless i suppose. Yeah yeah they are snug and whatever, they still will be dropped, and should be designed with that in mind, its just absurd otherwise, but this is apple and they seem to make the sales no matter what.

Pretty sure we all called this when these stupid things were first announced, during the height of battery fires too; only idiots would stick a battery in their ears.

Any lithium ion battery device will eventually have a battery failure of this type. We all know this. As they age and get hot they eventually expand and one somewhere will pierce the casing and whala.

For those who do not read, no, it was not in his ears when it happened and he did not get burned.

He is lucky he noticed a problem and removed them before the one self destructed. Eventually, there will be someone not so lucky, perhaps due to falling asleep while listening.

He said, "I always bite them before I put them in, just to make sure they're legit, right, bro?"

/s

Gotta say, for gym work, only wired earbuds. See, when I'm lifting heavy, I've found that my max lift causes the earbuds to shoot right out! At least the wired ones don't hit anyone nearby and don't get lost.

The first question from Apple - Was the recharger a REAL apple product or a knock off from Amazon?

For those who do not read, no, it was not in his ears when it happened and he did not get burned.

That's misleading. It was in his ear while he was listening to music. That's when he noticed smoke so he took them out put them down. Thus they did start to meltdown while in his effing ear!

“Just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again“

Well no, that would be some weird quantum entanglement type shit if that were true. Though it is pretty much the amount of logical reasoning I’d expect from someone who wears headphones that look like you have toothbrushes in your ears

Back