Talk me out of a BenQ BL3201PT

00Dan

Weaksauce
As the title says. I'm feeling drawn to this monitor however I still can't rule out a 27" 144 hz 1440P of some sort. Whichever way I go, coming from a 22" TN will be a large upgrade. I will be using the monitor for various school-type productivity tasks as well as some gaming. I'm currently running a 295x2 so freesync is a major plus.

I'm primarily drawn to the BenQ due to the screen real estate and potential "future-proofing" that 4K offers. However, I am not sure how if it is worth missing out on a faster monitor for gaming experiences. Thoughts?

Depends on what kinda gaming you do. If it's mainly competitive FPS type, the 144hz g-sync is where you want to be. Personally I don't really play a lot of online FPS anymore, single player, probably going to play the Division, and mostly RPG/MMO/Strategy games for the rest of the time. In those types of games, I could give a flying F about 144hz and the eye candy is where it's at. I've battled with this for a while too, I've been using a 27 1440p IPS for about 5 years, used to the IPS glow, used to 60hz, you seem to be in a similar boat coming from TN. Either way you go you will be 10x more happy.

Depends on what kinda gaming you do. If it's mainly competitive FPS type, the 144hz g-sync is where you want to be. Personally I don't really play a lot of online FPS anymore, single player, probably going to play the Division, and mostly RPG/MMO/Strategy games for the rest of the time. In those types of games, I could give a flying F about 144hz and the eye candy is where it's at. I've battled with this for a while too, I've been using a 27 1440p IPS for about 5 years, used to the IPS glow, used to 60hz, you seem to be in a similar boat coming from TN. Either way you go you will be 10x more happy.

I'm not doing any sort of twitch FPS or anything of that sort. Probably the fastest online FPS I play is the occasional match of Battlefield. Beyond that my library does include a fair amount of single player FPS games, as well as first and third person RPGs. I certainly do like my eye candy, although I do not have any first-hand experiences as to if the extra pixels on a 4K panel will make up for potentially having to turn some of those down.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that this monitor will also be used for desktop productivity tasks, so while gaming is certainly in the equation everything else does not revolve around it.

I am sure you are aware of the flashing line artifact in the benq (as well as at least 2 other 32 in all using this same ips panel)? Just something to keep in mind. It doesn't happen that often each day but it will happen like at least once a day.... check the benq 3201 thread if you want to know more. Other than that it probably one of the best 32 in 4K out there .

Buy the Acer XB321HK - same exact display, but with G-Sync.

Panel artifacting does occur, but it is very intermittent/random, disappears immediately... not really a reason not to buy the display.

Buy the Acer XB321HK - same exact display, but with G-Sync.

Panel artifacting does occur, but it is very intermittent/random, disappears immediately... not really a reason not to buy the display.

I have an AMD card, so the freesync on the BenQ seems to be a bit more useful to me.

I have an AMD card, so the freesync on the BenQ seems to be a bit more useful to me.
Then definitely go for the BenQ. 60Hz isn't that bad man... I came from 120Hz 1440p and never looked back. If you've never used a 32" or larger monitor, especially at 4K, you're in for a treat.

Then definitely go for the BenQ. 60Hz isn't that bad man... I came from 120Hz 1440p and never looked back. If you've never used a 32" or larger monitor, especially at 4K, you're in for a treat.

This is the sort of answer I was looking for. I have read lots of threads on various forums all proclaiming how a fast monitor is better than a 4K, but none with any real usage experiences to back it up.

Back