Talk about addictions

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, talk about freakin' DCin' addictions. I'm comin' at cha' wif a Pent m d610 lappy while jamin' to Joe Cocker :p (yeah I can dig it, I'm gettin' a little long in the tooth :rolleyes:)

But back on topic (we's got topics now :eek:) I purchased this Dell D610 (Dell factory refurb from DFS), installed a Gig of Ram (2x 512 modules), gots another 1 Gig board comin' to double up with the one I have already in the closet (I thought my past bad experiences with laptops was enough, go desktops) I got this laptop with the express purpose of using it to surf, listen to jams, watch news video clips, whatever without disturbing any 24/7 DCers I have going at the time (steal their cycles) ;) ATM I only have my 2x WCed Q6600 G0's and a pair of low performance, low TDP GPU's (a 8800GS and a 9600GSO, AFAIK they're the same cards)

I can honestly say I'm a little surprised at how spunky this over the hill, caveman lappy is (Pentium M) :eek: I'm also gettin' the chance to surf and things from the prone position, as laying in bed :)

Welp, gots to go, just switched DVD's with some more grampa jams, you know them oldimers Reo Speed and Bob Seeger :p Luck to all my brothers and sisters out there in DCin' land. :)

From what I have heard about Win7, it is supposedly does pretty well with "older" hardware. It makes them even "peppier". I have a Pentium something (sitting next to me waiting for it do something with its life). I may try to put Win7 on it and stick a GPU that is laying around to see what all the hubbub is about.

The older CPUs are perfectly fine for surfin' and stuff. My wife is repurposing her office and I may bring the Pentium back as a Print Server (there are 3 printers now in her office).

Hey thanks for the "heads up" brother capreppy :D I was thinking seriously about tryin' Win 7 (32 bit) on this PM, but then it's a hassle finding drivers for the Sonoma chipset (I've been usin' the VISTA drivers on my desktops when there ain't no Win 7 driver (32 bit or 64 bit), but according to the Dell lappy Website they don't work on the Sonoma chipset and Win 7 ain't gots no drivers for the Sonoma chipset yet (probably won't seein' Sonoma is a pretty ancient chipset, 915, single core cpu, max DDR 4200, max GB per slot 1 GB, max system RAM 2 GB's, 533 FSB, etc, not exactly a high performance setup) :(

I can testify to one thing though, for bein' just a 1.73 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, single core chip this little lappy is right spunky (NOT FOR EXTENSIVE CPU DUTIES) :p

Seein' I got a Dell DFS refurb including a new bat, recovery disk and a almost new appearence (I don't know how it'd be less than new, no bad pixels, no scracthes, etc, plus I've got it to 1 GB from 256 MB (who ever heard of 256 MB total system RAM :confused:) I'll just save my quads and GPU's for DCin' and play around with the lappy on wireless and battery charger just, surfin', listenin', watchin', etc :cool:

Back