Taliban Renamed in Medal of Honor Multiplayer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Electronic Arts has just announced that the bad guys in the new Medal of Honor game are no longer called the Taliban, they are now simply the “opposing force.”

Electronic Arts announced it is renaming the opposing side in the game's multiplayer to "Opposing Force" in response to the media controversy that erupted last month when it was discovered players could pit Taliban forces against U.S. soldiers.

Yeah I saw that this morning. I am glad they did it, but should've done a long time ago....

Yeah, we wouldn't want to offend any Taliban members out there. :roll:

So the Taliban was offended they were getting killed in the game? I don't get it? So when do we rename the Nazi's? Sad...

OK, a video game that is about killing in the 1st person and you cannot truly name all the playable parties by their correct name for fear of offending someone, you have to be kidding me ! This is censorship in fear of sales. Honestly EA, I would have had alot more respect if you would have told your critics to stuff it and make their own game if they don't like it with their own spineless revisionist view of the world. LAME
:rolleyes:

OK, a video game that is about killing in the 1st person and you cannot truly name all the playable parties by their correct name for fear of offending someone, you have to be kidding me ! This is censorship in fear of sales. Honestly EA, I would have had alot more respect if you would have told your critics to stuff it and make their own game if they don't like it with their own spineless revisionist view of the world. LAME

+1 rant, love it.

Stupid. Should have left it. Who honestly gets offended about this shit? :rolleyes:

+1

I feel like folks in this country were all "America FUCK YEAH!" "Bomb those dirty bastards" etc, until we got our shit bombed and then we became super sensitive about it. I'm thinking that this wouldn't have been an issue if the events of 9/11 hadn't occurred. Or am I totally off base here?

So the Taliban was offended they were getting killed in the game? I don't get it? So when do we rename the Nazi's? Sad...
Uh, no. People were offended you could play a taliban member and kill Americans.

Yeah I agree. Political correctness ruins everything...

Whatever. Whether it's due to political correctness, courtesy, or fear of lackluster sales and bad press, I think it's a common sense move. It would be about as smart to leave it alone right now, as McDonalds giving happy meals with toys of suicide bombers, grenades, and effigies of the president for you to burn.
They could do it, but do you NEED to? Is it smart to? I sometimes get aggravated with people who do stuff just because they can - and who cares - F everyone in the process.

meh, more important things to cry over
True.

let me get this right...
NAZIS vs US : ok
USSR vs US : ok
DPRK vs US : ok
VIETCONG vs US :eek:k
Taliban vs US : not ok?

some one explain this to me

Anyone remember when they did this in army of two 40th day? The first game was gritty, blunt and hilarious. The second game was 'more sensitive', and SUCKED! Yeah... EA you should grow a pair.

lol at this thread. Half the people in here think EA took it out because they were afraid of hurting the Taliban's feelings.

Could you imagine the "won't someone please think of the children" moments on cable news when they reported on a "new game where you play as terrorists to kill American soldiers?"

I knew the fucking pussies would cave in. This is why the world sees Americans as weak, we apologize for everything we do and bend over backwards to appease everyone.

let me get this right...
NAZIS vs US : ok
USSR vs US : ok
DPRK vs US : ok
VIETCONG vs US :eek:k
Taliban vs US : not ok?

some one explain this to me

I think the issue is there are Taliban soldiers killing US soldiers right NOW.

I knew the fucking pussies would cave in. This is why the world sees Americans as weak, we apologize for everything we do and bend over backwards to appease everyone.

More like bend over forwards and grab our cankles. :(

Pretty stupid in my opinion to go this far maintaining the naming scheme only to change it at the last minute. Despite technicalities inevitable in a gaming world, the game is trying for realism, and is set in Afghanistan. Also, this naming scheme is set to be changed only in the multiplayer portion. From this I can only guess that it's OK for American soldiers to be killed in the story mode of the game by the Taliban AI, but entirely unacceptable in the multiplayer mode.

I guess it's in their best interest to satisfy complaints, while also quietly dodging the obvious audio re-work that would be needed to be done in the single player when your in-game commander says something like: "Soldier, the Taliban's leader Shabbir Okhmund has been located!" to "Soldier, the Opposing Force's leader Shabbir Okhmund has been located!"

It would likely be to avoid offending those serving in Afghanistan and their families more than anything else, since what they're going through is being used as a reference for making what we will probably find fun.

The issue isn't the killing of Taliban; it's being able to play as them, when Allied forces are currently fighting them. This is already stated in the media coverage. Surprised people here have missed this point.

Uh, no. People were offended you could play a taliban member and kill Americans.

So what? They are the Taliban they are supposed to kill Americans, that's what they do because they are the "opposing force".

I feel like folks in this country were all "America FUCK YEAH!" "Bomb those dirty bastards" etc, until we got our shit bombed and then we became super sensitive about it. I'm thinking that this wouldn't have been an issue if the events of 9/11 hadn't occurred. Or am I totally off base here?

Hmm. I suppose there's some truth to the fact that if there were fewer associated deaths, there probably would be less public sensitivity about it.......like if I punched you so hard in your snot-box you pissed yourself in public - to the amusement of others around you - you might be real angry about people having fun with games that glorify street-fighting.

I still say "Bomb those dirty bastards" anyway. Should have dropped a nuke YEARS ago - and made it one big glass parking lot. Could have named it the United Arab States of America. Think of what the economy would be like with all that oil flowing from us. Gas could be 10 cents a gallon for citizens.

Oh, wait. We could.....but is it really smart to? :D

This thread is as ignorant as them changing it, how many of you don't actually know what's going on? :/

Hey guys...its a cluster of pixels you're crying about.

If this is your biggest problem...

Don't worry....we'll probably be dumping all our money into rebuilding THEM too. Only problem is they will slit out throats with the knives we give them at the first opportunity.

More like bend over forwards and grab our cankles. :(
Heh - heh. Cankles.
Maybe reach a little further and grab you rolls of back-fat.:D

So what? They are the Taliban they are supposed to kill Americans, that's what they do because they are the "opposing force".
I'm not debating the opposing sides, it's just bad timing. Give it a while, and they can release a patch renaming them back to the taliban, and no-one will care anymore.

Bad timing? It's perfect timing, they are a real enemy right now, it's totally relevant. Are people saying that if you play as Taliban then you must therefore be Taliban? Are people afraid the ability to play as Taliban is a recruiting tool for the Taliban? What's the real problem? Are they afraid that soldiers who play this game will have flashbacks about being killed by a Taliban guy named UrM0mm@?

In the back of their minds some people are thinking that because you play as Taliban that you want them to die over there at the hand of the Taliban. This must be what they are thinking but it doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe they are afraid real Taliban will want to kill them in the video game instead of real life? Oh that's scary as fuck, dying in a video game.

And EA is a business, and this would have been bad for business. As an EA shareholder, I would have been pissed if they did this in a major reboot for a franchise.

Unlike what most of the people sounding off in this thread seem to believe, they didn't do this to be "PC" because the Taliban would get mad, they did it because American consumers would get mad, it would be plastered all over cable news about how you get to play as terrorists trying to kill americans, and it would probably be boycotted. This is so simple an issue that I cannot understand why people in this thread are making it out to be so much more than a simple American marketing decision.

And EA is a business, and this would have been bad for business. As an EA shareholder, I would have been pissed if they did this in a major reboot for a franchise.

Unlike what most of the people sounding off in this thread seem to believe, they didn't do this to be "PC" because the Taliban would get mad, they did it because American consumers would get mad, it would be plastered all over cable news about how you get to play as terrorists trying to kill americans, and it would probably be boycotted. This is so simple an issue that I cannot understand why people in this thread are making it out to be so much more than a simple American marketing decision.
Exactly. For all we know EA is pissed they had to do it, but they did it for good reasons. I can flip the bird to my boss all I want, but it would suck to lose the paycheck....so I don't.
Not everyone can do what he pleases without consequences.

+1

probably the opposite

I'd of been fine just calling them terrorists.

Yeah, about that word. You know, it once was that a terrorist was defined as someone who attacked *civilian* targets in order to scare said civilians into acting in a certain manner. If you are attacking military targets, you're not a terrorist (at least, those are not terrorist acts).

BTW, the Taliban didn't attack the US on 9/11/01.

Bingo, this would be plastered all over Fox News and another stupid boycott would start from all the mindless drones that take their marching orders from them. (Note I did not say all watchers of Fox News)

I reference the ridiculous Pepsi boycott as one example (stupid no edit).

Back