Tales of Vesperia

tskiller

[H]ard|Gawd
So seeing as how this just came out, has anyone gotten a chance to give it a go yet? I'm thinking about picking it up on the way home from work, and just wanted a little input before i go drop 60 bucks on it.

i think it ships today (the 26th) and will be in stores tomorrow

and i'll be picking it up

It should be out in stores today. Video games and music albums come out on Tuesdays normally.

I'm picking mine up soon. Gonna bounce after lunch :D

Dunno but I loved Symphonia. Unfortunately though I think I'm gonna skip out on this one, methinks that now that I'm a married man my wife would laugh at me playing a japanimation RPG game :p

Dunno but I loved Symphonia. Unfortunately though I think I'm gonna skip out on this one, methinks that now that I'm a married man my wife would laugh at me playing a japanimation RPG game :p

Get her to play with you. My girlfriend is really excited to play this with me. We just got her a blue controller as well hehe. She wants to play with me to see why these games are so fun. ;)

yeah, dont let the art style keep you from playing a good game.
Remember muppets tonight? Yeah, that was a muppets show aimed at adults, and was hilarious. Would you refuse to play mario kart or galaxy because its a cartoon style game about a plumber?

does anyone know if it is only local multiplayer, or can you play through xbl??

well IGN says"Online Play: 4 Co-Op" Does that mean the full game or just some side quest thing??

Oh, well then i have no idea. The previous talk i've read on some forums have always indicated that the full game would have 4 player multiplayer, but offline only. guess not though?

If it is co-op it'll most likely be like Eternal Sonata where one character controls all the world map actions and the only "co-op" thing about it is the fact each player controls a single character during combat.

Just checked IGN and it says local play is only 2 players(kinda dumb), but online is 4. But multiplayer is better than no multiplayer. I'm excited :D

looks interesting i have no clue about the series or anything would like to hear opinions on if any good though for someone who knows nothing of the series.

I am about to go and purchase it w/ a friend so we can play online, I will post back my results soon!

Question :

I have never played any of the Tales games before. Is this a sequel or stand alone game? Will I be missing out on anything by not having played any of the others?

Question :

I have never played any of the Tales games before. Is this a sequel or stand alone game? Will I be missing out on anything by not having played any of the others?

I'm sure it's a standalone game so you won't be missing out on anything.

I loved Tales of Symphonia but I'm waiting to see how Infinite Undiscovery compares before I decide which game will take up the next 40 hours of my free time.

The girlfriend I had while playing Symphonia begged me to play it constantly. She loved to watch just for the story.

dude im married with 3 kids and we love playing rpgs. my wife asks me to play them when we have the time..

I want this game, but luckily my gf wants it more so she's going to buy it ! haha

i got sucked in for about 4 hours. it starts off slow while its showing you stuff and i got really nervous because of how long it took but then after you get out of the main city it gets really fun.

Man i just picked this up on my lunch break today and now i cant concentrate. :(

curse you 12 hour shifts.

I bought it last night but haven't cracked it open yet. Was hoping to play it with my girlfriend. If she doesn't like it, oh well, I know my sister is into anime shit. :)

I played for about 30 minutes and i like what i see so far. the single combat experience was fun and the characters seemed interesting, atleast so far. those two idiot knights were hilarious

Got a couple of hours of it, sister jumped in when I got the pink hair chick, then the pup. Good coop fun, but I can see how it might bore 3 or more people.

My 360 is currently RRoD-ed and I'm lazy to send it in. Any news on the PS3 version's release?

My 360 is currently RRoD-ed and I'm lazy to send it in. Any news on the PS3 version's release?

Denied by the Devs. Doesn't mean there won't be a port in the future though, maybe they'll pull a ToS and release it only for Japan. This release will of course feature the obligatory maid and swimming suit costumes. :p

I played this a ton over the weekend and it is defintely a "Tales" game.

The graphics are good. The story line is competent and building well. Combat is fun and interesting.

My one point of negative so far is the freaking Wolf-boss thing that you fite when crossing Almead Hill. Jebus cripes, talk about going from easy fights straight into redonkulously hard, "you die in 15 seconds" boss battle. I had fought everything I encountered up until that point, so I figured that it would have been balanced or something, but boy was I wrong. I finally broke down and read GameFAQs after getting crushed 8 times in a row because I figured I had completely missed some trick. I had tried to use the billybally plants a ton of times. The only help anyone had was to go and powerlevel to 18 minimum, which took a while as I was at 14.

After that fiasco, it was back to wholesale slaughter and even the bosses I am facing now aren't as bad as that.

The graphics are good. The story line is competent and building well. Combat is fun and interesting.

My one point of negative so far is the freaking Wolf-boss thing that you fite when crossing Almead Hill. Jebus cripes, talk about going from easy fights straight into redonkulously hard, "you die in 15 seconds" boss battle. I had fought everything I encountered up until that point, so I figured that it would have been balanced or something, but boy was I wrong. I finally broke down and read GameFAQs after getting crushed 8 times in a row because I figured I had completely missed some trick. I had tried to use the billybally plants a ton of times. The only help anyone had was to go and powerlevel to 18 minimum, which took a while as I was at 14.

After that fiasco, it was back to wholesale slaughter and even the bosses I am facing now aren't as bad as that.

Yeah, i'm sorta new to jrpgs, just started playing them this generation, and this bugs me a lot. You're going along just fine, having fun, then a stupidly hard boss shows up that slaughters you in one turn. Kinda puts me off of the whole genre. I went back and started FFX, but I can't beat the final boss and it pisses me the hell off. So now I'm leary of starting any others.

Got a couple of hours of it, sister jumped in when I got the pink hair chick, then the pup. Good coop fun, but I can see how it might bore 3 or more people.

To elaborate, I think it would bore 3-4 players because they'll collectively have nothing to do when you're not battling. They just get to watch you walk around and engage in conversations with NPCs, which may seem like an eternity when you're not player 1. I know with my friends, I'd have to rush through dialogue, and from area to area just to keep their attention.

With just my sis and I, there's no rush. Can let the story unroll without worrying about boring her.

Yeah, i'm sorta new to jrpgs, just started playing them this generation, and this bugs me a lot. You're going along just fine, having fun, then a stupidly hard boss shows up that slaughters you in one turn. Kinda puts me off of the whole genre. I went back and started FFX, but I can't beat the final boss and it pisses me the hell off. So now I'm leary of starting any others.

Incredibly challenging portions of the game out of right field are rather characteristic of JRPGs.

Final Fantasy 1. Marsh Cave. Nuff said.

Yeah that boss was quite the eye opener, leagues harder than anything else prior and after(but i am only about 20 hours in). I was around level 16 and couldn't put him down, even with tons of items. Ended up grinding till level 18 and just over limit spamming on him. But all in all, i love this game. Great graphics, the story is good, and i cant quite put the game down. The characters are all likable too, which is something not typical of all jRPGs. I usually find myself hating the main character for being such a whiny pansy, but this is not the case in tales of vesperia.

What's interesting to note is the fact that most final bosses in JRPGs aren't even the hardest boss. There's almost always a optional uber boss that counters everything you do by dropping a Ultima on you or something. Of course, it'll always drop an overpowered item that's completely useless by that point of the game.

Since you're new to the JRPG front, just keep in mind that most bosses have a certain procedure you have to follow. IE a boss that constantly cast reflect on itself, forcing you to use summons, physical attacks, or bouncing a magical attack off a teammate with reflect on to defeat it.

How does the multiplayer work?

They control a character in battles? Is there enough playability to keep another player engaged and is it fun for the other player

I am considering buying this game and a second controller

Was this wolf-boss the one in the demo?

yeah, but from what i read the boss in the demo was artificially made even more powerful than he is in the full game. not really sure why they did that.....but then again i dont make games. :confused:

I'd love if my gf got into this game (haven't picked it up yet, maybe tonight). She loves her DS, Animal Crossing, Mario, and Viva Pinata series on my 360. Atleast my point of saying, "Well you hated VP and the DS until you played them for a few hours.. and look how that turned out. Give this a try."

Although the last thing I need is her liking more games, its actually hurtful to the wallet.

I'm afraid to read this thread now. Are yall above me posting spoilers? :(

Back