Taking pics with a telescope...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

So I've got a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Telescope that I want to mount my Canon T2i Camera to so I can take pics of what I see. What do I need?

Basically what I know.

T-adapter - This guy goes in the place of the eye piece on the telescope with a mounting point where the "eye" would normally go allowing you to mount the camera directly to it. These are basically universal. Tubes might be different sizes, but there are only a few standard sizes. The end mounting point is the same on all though.

T-ring - This piece screws onto the t-ring and has the same connection as a camera lens for your particular camera allowing you to mount the camera to it. These will only work with the specific camera you buy it for. Although if you buy one for a Canon DSLR then it will most likely work with all Canon DSLR cameras as long as they use the same lens mounting type.

However, I've been reading about this specific telescope and it seems that you can't just use a regular t-adapter because the "focal plane" (might use the wrong terminology here) is not in an ideal place for the camera to focus correctly and you need something like a barlow t-adapter that moves the focal plane to a position that the camera can then focus on. Am I close on this?

So after doing some research I think these are what I need. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

$12 - T-RING FOR CANON EOS CAMERA
$50 - 1.25" UNIVERSAL BARLOW AND T-ADAPTER

Then I will be able to use the telescope as a lens without any issues of focus. Correct?

I have the Astromaster 130 Eaq and hooked a 60D to it with T adapter and t ring. I wouldbrecommend a better mount because the weight of the camera will throw off the mound and be un even. And any tiny vibration will likely show in any pictures. I have a few pictures i can show you that I took.

I never really had trouble focusing it. I think i didn't knock down the exposure enough on the moon.

8686154460_7b87560114_b.jpg

8603870347_484dcd4495_h.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Not my telescope though. It's a friend of mine. He was going to take it to the cabin a bunch of us got last weekend, but he ended up not taking it so it didn't matter. That first picture looks amazing though.

Back