Taking ownership of a drive after Fresh 10 install?

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
So I had to bite the bullet and reload windows thanks to a failed Radeon driver update and not having system restore turned on. WONDERFUL FOR ME!

I've had this issue in the past with my server drive and not being the owner of it after a reinstall of windows to where I can't save to the drive as I don't have permission to. This drive is where all my media is and where obviously downloads go so I need to be the owner of it.

I swear I'm doing what I have done in the past but it's just not working and I just seem to not be able to get ownership of it.
I'm right clicking on my D: drive in file manager and selecting properties, security, advanced, then clicking change next to the owner.

I've tried Administrator, Administrators, and my user name with the check box below (Replace owner on subcontainers and objects), Apply, then ok. It tells me I can't take ownership of system volume info ok who cares don't need access to that. Then it completes and says I have taken ownership of object.

I hop in a browser right click a image, save image as, select my d:\downloads and poof

You don not have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator instead.

This is annoying as hell. I'm sure it's a simple step I'm forgetting.

UPDATE

Well SOB!
For the heck of it I right clicked on my downloads folder and selected security. My user account wasn't listed in the group or user names box. I add it and click full permission and I just saved the [H] logo up top to my downloads folder without issue.

Do I seriously have to add permissions for each folder on my D: drive? Isn't that the purpose of taking ownership of the drive? What accounts should be listed for security in the users box? I have Everyone, SYSTEM, my account (thecomputername\my user name), Administrators (thecomputername\Administraitors)

Everyone has R&E, List, Read
SYSTEM has Everything but the special
My account has Everything but the special
Administraitors has everything but the special

Last edited:
Id just reinstall and get a new drive if it keeps doing that, that would aggravate me....They need to just add moreee USB 3.0s and just crackkk 3 or 4+ 256gb drives or try to make some bigger ones. That would be awesome.

Id just reinstall and get a new drive if it keeps doing that, that would aggravate me....They need to just add moreee USB 3.0s and just crackkk 3 or 4+ 256gb drives or try to make some bigger ones. That would be awesome.
Um yea not looking to wave bye to 6TB of media. Lol I sorted the ownership out with manually adding permissions to each individual folder. Don't know why it doesn't work across the entire drive at once.

There is a registry hack you can do to add the entry to your right click menu and select the whole directory giving you trouble. TAKE OWNERSHIP

Reactions: scgt1
like this
There is a registry hack you can do to add the entry to your right click menu and select the whole directory giving you trouble. TAKE OWNERSHIP
The thing is you can do that very thing with windows as it is although it doesn't properly work and I was forced to manually do it to each folder. LOL Oh well. I just hope the accounts I have listed under the update in my op are ok with how they are set.

glad it worked out. Its a good tool to have in the right click menu.

Back