Taking my P4 past 1.6v dangerous?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
Specs in sig. The system will post but wont boot windows at 3.6ghz, about a 255FSB i believe. Is it dangerous to put the voltage past 1.6 on these p4's for stability, or should i give it a go? I think i've narrowed it down to the cpu and not the ram . agp/pci is locked at 66/33.

btw, at idle at the speed in sig are approx. 43 C and at full load about 55 C... these are estimates using mbm as the ic7 motherboard with the latest bios flash, which is supposed to fix the incorrect temperature reporting to be off by about 5 degrees. :rolleyes:

i asked this question a while back and people said to keep it under 1.7v with the p4c's

acascianelli said:
i asked this question a while back and people said to keep it under 1.7v with the p4c's

Thanks, how are your temp readings with that overclock? What would be considered dangerous for the p4?

HotL3@D said:
Thanks, how are your temp readings with that overclock? What would be considered dangerous for the p4?

Definitely keep it under 70C. That's the Intel thermal spec, as far as I know. It will probably start heat throttling at anything past 70.

ehZn said:
Definitely keep it under 70C. That's the Intel thermal spec, as far as I know. It will probably start heat throttling at anything past 70.

K. thanks! Wish i could get some more accurate temp readings with this damned ic7-g motherboard. :mad:

mine runs alittle over 50C under full load, prime + 3dmarks. but i have my gpu/nb/and cpu on the same cooling loop. i personally would not run a cpu over 60C.

acascianelli said:
mine runs alittle over 50C under full load, prime + 3dmarks. but i have my gpu/nb/and cpu on the same cooling loop. i personally would not run a cpu over 60C.

Yea, well, personally, no one cares nelli :p :p

Keep in mind that although 70C is a high limit, long term exposure to high heat conditions is generally known to be BAD. Take nelli's advice and try and keep it under 60;)

Back