taking headphone amps on airplanes?

m3ta1head

Has anyone ever been hassled before for carrying their headphone amp in their luggage while traveling? I have a fairly compact hybrid tube amp (see sig), but I'm still concerned about being raped by the TSA because everything with a circuit board is suspicious....any advice would be appreciated.

Carry-on or checked? If it is checked it'll be no big deal - carry-on will depend on who's running the x-ray machine that day. My guess is you'll be fine, but who knows how they'll react to a vacuum tube.

I'd agree with Forceman, You'll probably be okay so long as your not dealing with idiots in security.

If you don't mind me asking, is this something you're planning on using in-flight or just at your destination? ...I presume it would be paired with your Denon phones.

looked at the amp in question, it looks like a off the shelf electronics gizmo, not someones handrolled minttin headphone amp. i see no issues, but i would make sure you have all of the parts (patch cord, power supply, headphones, source) ready to rock just incase they decide that would look really nice on their bookshelf at home. this way you can you can just say.. here, let me plug it in, you can listen, see that its just an amp, and go along with your buissness. they should have no reason to even question it.

just in case, TSA Contact Center at: TSA- [email protected] or 1-866-289-9673.

give em a ring, ask for their advice.

In my experiances (in europe and asia) they go stupid about everything they can on the wrong day. But as long as it isn't giving off any kind of signal (time before last, before I went on they scanned a battery charger for 15 minutes...) they didn't care about the props I had in my luggage (think futuristic mask things with giant needles and drip bags and wires and stuff) but this battery charger was a big deal.
But i've heard in flights to/from the US they can be pretty...over the top about things. If your unsure, then it's probably not worth the stress, I know sound quality is important but inflight isn't the best listening enviroment. So just get some low ohm decent yet cheap headphones. I've learnt over the years that weird looking electronics aren't worth the hassle (both ways).

Has anyone ever been hassled before for carrying their headphone amp in their luggage while traveling? I have a fairly compact hybrid tube amp (see sig), but I'm still concerned about being raped by the TSA because everything with a circuit board is suspicious....any advice would be appreciated.

It seems an inadvisable choice for a carry on, and an inadvisable choice for regular portage in checked.

However I've never been hassled beyond the bomb sniff, even while carying a two-Hammond effort.

While I'm sure you could I'd rather not just to keep myself from being hassled like some of the above posts have said.

Q: If you're checking it in, would the vac tubes survive pressure changes under the plane? I'm not sure how tightly controlled this is in modern aircraft...I feel like it must be, but we've all had exploded toiletries from the pressure changes...

Also, if you're talking about using it in-flight be careful not to turn it up too high unless you have some of those earbuds that seal off your ear canal - I'd bet you can crank that up dangerously high before you realize how loud it is compared to how loud the plane is.

The amp will go in my carry on because I never check baggage. I won't be using it in flight-don't have a power source and I have iems anyway. I'll be out of town for a month so having my rig with me would be really nice.

also-tubes in or out? I was planning on just wrapping the entire amp in bubble wrap and cushioning it between clothes. Don't want to break these tubes...they are from 1952, somewhat uncommon.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'd not take it at all to be honest. Surely common sense must enter the frame here - the potential for tears is high. However for two trips alone the risk is somewhat manageable - but I still wouldn't do it.

Just mail it to the hotel or place you will be staying at to arrive the day after you arrive. I have done this many times and never had an issue.

my headphone amp has no glass tubes, and is in a small plastic box. should be good, they didnt' say anything the last time i took it, but it was 3 years ago

Back