Taking apart an MX1000.....

Moose777

2[H]4U
I spilled some Cranberry juice last night. It was dark and I was playing BF2 and I went to take a sip of juice and I inadvertantly punched the glass. Luckily I didn't knock the glass over but it did spilla bit (it was a full glass).

Some of it ended up on my keyboard (which I could care less about) and some ended up on my MX1000. I cleaned what I could off the surface of it with alcohol wipes but some got inside it and now the damn buttons are sticking.

Are they easy to pulla part to clean without destroying them? I'd like to clean it up some now that the friggin buttons are sticky with sugary Ocean Spray Cranberry juice.

P.S. if this is the wrong board please relocate it. I thought since I use it to play games I could consider it a gaming device.

Be carefull man, I have MX510 and one of the buttons was getting stuck so I decided to open it, oh boy what a mistake was that. I mean everything was fine when I put it back together only now I have no spring that makes the wheel button click when you scroll, it's very hard put that spring back, I spent quite some time on it. You will be able to open it up and then put it back together but that one detail which is very annoying to me made me want to regret what I did.
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but you might find it helpfull too moose, if anyone knows how to put that spring back please post.

The mouse wheel on the Mx1000 doesn't click. At least mine never has.

I'm assuming that I have to pull the little feet off to get tot he screws underneath. Does anyone know where I can get replacement feet if I can't reuse the ones on there?

I'd say give it a day or two of use with sticky buttons, eventually it'll stop sticking and you won't have to muck with potentially killing your mouse. Just a thought, as I've done something like that and it eventually corrected itself with use.

The screw-holes are under the stickers on the bottom of the mouse; not the feet. Look for die-cut crosses - the holes are under them.

Opie said:
The screw-holes are under the stickers on the bottom of the mouse; not the feet. Look for die-cut crosses - the holes are under them.
Oh hey!! Check that out.

Nice. Although I didn't have any cross-cut sections. I just kind of rubbed the large sticker on teh bottom till I saw where it pushed down to reveal the holes. Then I used a knife to cut away the stickers covering the holes. Looks like theres 2, maybe 3 screws.

Thanks.

Awesome, I also lost one of the screws within 30 seconds of trying to take it apart. ya think Logitech could've used smaller screws? :rolleyes:

I have been taking logitech mice apart for years. I recently had a nice spill on my mx510 and I had a hell of a time getting the stickiness out. First remove the screws on the base and then take the base off. The trick to this is making sure you remember exactly where all the parts went. The guy who was complaining about how it took his click away, did not put his mouse back together properly. I also have an mx1000 and i have taken it apart too. The problem with the mx1000 is that its insides are a bit more complex then the 510 and you have to be extra careful getting the laser back in the right position. If it is not calibrated right, you will get weird performance issues with it. Also to get rid of the stickiness I recommend a solution of water and alcohol. Then even if it sticks a little after, just keep using it and eventually the minor stick left should dissipate.

I actually decided that its not exactly worth pulling apart after I lost one of the very tiny screws. I just put it back together and I'll deal with the sticking. I just don't want to be bothered with screwing it up any further. If it was an LED based mouse then I'd do it but I don't want to risk messing it up any further.

MrSatan said:
I have been taking logitech mice apart for years. I recently had a nice spill on my mx510 and I had a hell of a time getting the stickiness out. First remove the screws on the base and then take the base off. The trick to this is making sure you remember exactly where all the parts went. The guy who was complaining about how it took his click away, did not put his mouse back together properly. I also have an mx1000 and i have taken it apart too. The problem with the mx1000 is that its insides are a bit more complex then the 510 and you have to be extra careful getting the laser back in the right position. If it is not calibrated right, you will get weird performance issues with it. Also to get rid of the stickiness I recommend a solution of water and alcohol. Then even if it sticks a little after, just keep using it and eventually the minor stick left should dissipate.
yeah, the guy also said he tried putting it back together but he couldn't get it right each time he tried. If you know how to put that spring back in its place please share.
yeah that was me.

mouse7tm.jpg

mouse20ff.jpg

How about it? ;)

-J.

Well, I've pulled apart my MX510 and MX518 to remove the massive weight at the top of the mouse (Logitech apparently added it to give it a sense of "quality") and never ran into any problems.
I think the thing you're going to have to be careful of is what in the mouse is actually sticking. Is it the visible, outside buttons that your fingers rest on, or is it the inside contact points? If it's the latter, you're going to have an incredibly difficult time trying to clean those. I've killed a mouse (not a Logitech) trying to fix those contact points. It's the only time I've killed one, and the second mouse I tried it on was successfully restore, but I still killed it.
I'd say go pick yourself up a Microsoft IntelliMouse of some type and practise on that :D.

Its the buttons themselves that are sticking. They still work and make contact just fine. Its just in betweent he buttons are fairly gummed up.

uzor said:
Here's a MX1000 disassembly guide. According to the comments on the page, several people have used it successfully.

http://www.daosu.com/archives/2005/06/logitech_mx_100.html

Oh, awesome that would explain why i can't get it apart. I'm going to do this right now.

Thanks alot. :)

Got it apart, cleaned it and it no longer sticks.

I am wondering though, what that little dial is for inside of it. And now I'm on a hunt to see if I can find a battery for it. Not that I need one, just to see if theres one that'll work.

Back