Taking another run at Oblivion

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
I have never been able to finish it previously but we'll see if I have the stamina to finish this time. Anybody have any favorite dungeons or quests to recommend? I have done most of the city based quests in my previous attempts.

I am currently in the process of power leveling with my initial focus on Strength, Endurance, and Agility. I will reach my max in Strength and Endurance at level 10 (I am currently at level 6) and switch to leveling Intelligence and Speed at that point. I will complete my Agility leveling at 13 and switch to Willpower. With my power leveling strategy I will max speed at 22, intelligence at 24, and willpower at 27 (Personality and Luck are my focus after that). I have never played beyond that point before.

I am wrapping up the Imperial City quests right now (except for the collector quest) and will shortly switch to the surrounding cities. I have done the Anvil quests also (except for where spirits have lease) since I have the Thieve's Den add in and that is my primary base. I am well into the Arena quests and just starting the Fighter's Guild quests so I will probably focus on those for the next couple of levels.

I haven't even started the main quest yet ... I usually start into it after I finish the first stage of my power leveling at level 10 or 13. So, any suggestions on favorite areas or plug-ins. I have the unofficial patch and some of the make it pretty type mods. I am also a member of the Assassin's Guild (although I haven't started their quests yet) ... I murdered the poor Orc Adventurer to get in :cool:

One suggestion if I may is to stay away from mods! Every time I play one of these Bethesda games I get so wrapped up finding and installing the best texture mods, character mods, graphic mods, item mods, etc, etc, etc that I actually lose interest and never start playing the game! :p

The ONLY Bethesda game I've EVER beat was Fallout 3...and that was strictly because I followed the main story and ONLY the main story from the beginning. Other than that...I don't know...I hardly finish games anymore, even if they are really good. Fucking ADD is only thing I can come up with...anyways O.T. now...sorry...

Thanks, I have several of the guides ... I always gave up on the game before reaching the end (one of the downsides of the power leveling approach) ... probably my favorite quest is the Shadow Over Hackdirt one since I am a big HP Lovecraft fan and their homage was pretty good ... I haven't gotten to it in this run through yet ... will probably get to it by late week :)

Side quests were always something I like in Bethesdas games. I remember the few that I did play were SO unique and actually special. Special in that it took you to places and gave you items that you would NEVER have seen or even hope to discover if you just followed the main quest. To many games with side quests often involve fetching something or the other...Bethesda puts them on an entirely different level though.

Always respected them for that...games that put more thought into side missions than the main one (not that the main quest isn't good, just sayin).

If you get sick of doing those portals that appear everywhere later on in the game (i know i did) just buy or make a bunch of those jumping potions jump over all the walls, run to top of the tower, grab the thingy and port. you can do all of the portals in about an hour.

If you get sick of doing those portals that appear everywhere later on in the game (i know i did) just buy or make a bunch of those jumping potions jump over all the walls, run to top of the tower, grab the thingy and port. you can do all of the portals in about an hour.

HAHA! genius! never would have thought about it

Thanks for the heads up ... I never got that far in the game in my previous attempts ... sounds like a good approach ... especially since by the time I start into the mid to late portions of the main quest I am usually in the high level 20's or low 30's ... portals should be pretty dangerous at those levels :)

Cheating using no cheats...I like that LOL! :p

Sad thing is pretty much all Bethesda games have exploits to make everything easy as crap if you know what you are doing. Good thing is they are all Single play and the NPC's don't use said exploits so it's all up to the player if they want to be godlike or if they want to play fair. :p

Side quests were always something I like in Bethesdas games. I remember the few that I did play were SO unique and actually special. Special in that it took you to places and gave you items that you would NEVER have seen or even hope to discover if you just followed the main quest. To many games with side quests often involve fetching something or the other...Bethesda puts them on an entirely different level though.

Always respected them for that...games that put more thought into side missions than the main one (not that the main quest isn't good, just sayin).

Wot? Bethesda is the king of boring fetch quests. Skyrim was especially guilty of that, but Oblivion had its fair share.

I just ran through them and didn't bother to stop and fight the enemies. Pretty easy.

I just ran through them and didn't bother to stop and fight the enemies. Pretty easy.

ya i could have run all the way through but with that crazy jump potion you can basically jump from the entrance portal to the front of the tower it cuts down on the time considerably.

I liked the dark brotherhood quests the best because the missions had a lot of variety to them.

IMO strength and endurance are the most boring things to upgrade. If you upgrade that stuff you're just going to end up playing it like a generic RPG which isn't very fun IMO.

The most fun I had with oblivion is leveling my character in uncommon ways. One character I did was extremely agile and good with a bow. I would run around like crazy shooting people from afar and on rooftops but if I got trapped I was in trouble. It adds a lot of excitement to the gameplay having a weakness.

Another character I did was extremely sneaky and good at illusion and summoning. I would summon a beast and sneak around or go invisible as it fought for me.

Elder Scrolls games are all about playing however you want. Take advantage of that.

One suggestion if I may is to stay away from mods! Every time I play one of these Bethesda games I get so wrapped up finding and installing the best texture mods, character mods, graphic mods, item mods, etc, etc, etc that I actually lose interest and never start playing the game! :p

I'm glad this doesn't just happen to me!

I bought Morrowind on steam a while ago thinking I would relive the glory days. After hours of installing mods I might have played for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

When they gave Darkfall away for free the same thing happened. Spent all the time getting Dosbox to work, getting it up and running and...I just can't do it! lol

Wot? Bethesda is the king of boring fetch quests. Skyrim was especially guilty of that, but Oblivion had its fair share.

Yes we all know how retarded skyrim is, but that is one game out of 5. Ever try morrowind? Side quests took ages without a guide and took you places, some were even hard to get to.

Yes we all know how retarded skyrim is, but that is one game out of 5. Ever try morrowind? Side quests took ages without a guide and took you places, some were even hard to get to.

Yep, Morrowind was pretty good stuff. It definitely had some crap quests here and there, but it was the pinnacle of the ES series.

Daggerfall was full of pretty crappy quests, other than a few story arcs.

Arena; I don't even really remember this game very well as far as quest quality goes.

Yep, Morrowind was pretty good stuff. It definitely had some crap quests here and there, but it was the pinnacle of the ES series.

Daggerfall was full of pretty crappy quests, other than a few story arcs.

Arena; I don't even really remember this game very well as far as quest quality goes.

I really liked Oblivion as well. It was actually one of my favorites in the series. I can't even get into Skyrim, the game just feels dead(as in you do stuff and no one cares).

Once Knot's guides are back up I'm gonna mod Oblivion again and play it. For Morrowind I think that Overhaul 3.0 is good enough.

I still stand by my opinion that Oblivion is Bethesdas best game.

(especially when its nice and modded out etc)

What mods would you recommend? I'm particularly interested in something that makes the inventory menu more Skyrim-like (after putting in the inventory mod) and such, rather than graphics. I looked at BOSS etc. and couldn't get a bunch to load either. Thanks.

I spent about a week compiling mods to work together in Oblivion a long time ago. I even have them all zipped up with install instructions. If you ask nicely, I will upload them for you.

What mods would you recommend? I'm particularly interested in something that makes the inventory menu more Skyrim-like (after putting in the inventory mod) and such, rather than graphics. I looked at BOSS etc. and couldn't get a bunch to load either. Thanks.

Darn-UI

Also, yes--Bethesda failed hard with their "radiant quest" system. They should have just hand-written a bunch of side quests and it would have been way more interesting than the random fetch nonsense that the radiant system comes up with. Who cares if there are unlimited quests to do if they're all a fuckin' snooze-fest?

Regarding Morrowind, Skywind's alpha is due out soon. I'm curious to see how far along they have taken that project :drool:

I'll second the Dark Brotherhood sidequests, it's the best of Oblivion IMHO. I wasted close to 2 years in this game.

What is your standard ... the Oblivion map seems pretty big to me ... especially when I had to do some of the follow quests :eek:

it just seemed so tiny. The whole game takes place in a valley with very little terrain change or climate change. which for me leased made oblivion seem tiny. morrowind seemed 10 likes bigger to me.

it also could be the lvling model that they have been using since oblivion, where the mobs lvl up with you. i absolutely despise this method. it makes lvling totaly pointless all lvling does is make the game easier. i think one of the reasons older rpg/mmo's seem so much bigger is if you went into a area with higher lvl mobs you died! so you had to wait till you reached an appropriate lvl. which lent certain areas a air of mystery and made the world seem bigger and less explored.

I spent about a week compiling mods to work together in Oblivion a long time ago. I even have them all zipped up with install instructions. If you ask nicely, I will upload them for you
Could you please upload them? I (and others I'm sure) would really appreciate it. Thanks.

It will always be my opinion that Oblivion is one of the worst games ever made. Just my opinion, wasn't for me.

I've tried literally everything to like this game, i bought it full price. Mods got me so annoyed i would just stop playing, and vanilla was sooo underthought. As in D3 unthought.

The things i cannot get by, the skill system is SOO dumb the way it progresses. Monsters scaling with you, gear felt extremely limited.

Then i would get distracted by all the pretty ass fricking plants and stuff my pockets with so many herbs that i couldn't move, and then a wolf would start wandering towards me and i'd be saying "Don't come near me wolf i have too many plants in my pockets to move!" but after 1,034 bandits widdled me down to 10hps, the wolf would kill me.

Also i would get confused when i started talking with someone i'd think "hey isn't this the same guy who i was just talking to in the other town with like some aging special effects on his face? Nah... he's probably just related to him, even though he has EXACTLY the same voice."

Last edited:
it just seemed so tiny. The whole game takes place in a valley with very little terrain change or climate change. which for me leased made oblivion seem tiny. morrowind seemed 10 likes bigger to me.

it also could be the lvling model that they have been using since oblivion, where the mobs lvl up with you. i absolutely despise this method. it makes lvling totaly pointless all lvling does is make the game easier. i think one of the reasons older rpg/mmo's seem so much bigger is if you went into a area with higher lvl mobs you died! so you had to wait till you reached an appropriate lvl. which lent certain areas a air of mystery and made the world seem bigger and less explored.

This might be a big question but how is Morrowind different from Oblivion ... I also have the GotY edition of Morrowind but have never played it ... my Steam backlog is pretty bad ... not enough hours in the day :)

I still stand by my opinion that Oblivion is Bethesdas best game.

obl2013mod.jpg

That's what I'm running atm.

Solid, stable..... way better gaming experience etc.

This might be a big question but how is Morrowind different from Oblivion ... I also have the GotY edition of Morrowind but have never played it ... my Steam backlog is pretty bad ... not enough hours in the day :)

they're different games released on a different time frame, they were both great at their times. ;)

I just got into Oblivion. Got about 70 hours in it I guess. I like it... to me it's a retro-Skyrim since Skyrim was my first exposure to the Elder Scrolls. The quests are more interesting IMHO.

i know its late in the discussion but get the skeleton key as soon as possible.. that really made the game a lot more fun for me, enever having to worrry about breaking or losing lockpicks :)

i know its late in the discussion but get the skeleton key as soon as possible.. that really made the game a lot more fun for me, enever having to worrry about breaking or losing lockpicks :)

It is on my list but I need to be level 10 to perform that quest ... with my power leveling strategy I level certain areas a little slower as my skills get higher ... I just hit level 7 after wrapping the Arena quests ...

since I am still heavily focused on maxing Strength and Endurance until level 10 (when both attributes will hit 100) I will be focused on Fighter's Guild and The Collector (maybe a few Assassin's guild quests) ... since my Heavy Armor just hit 76 and my Blade just hit 59 my leveling with those is starting to slow ...

all my other major skills are spell families and I won't use them until I start leveling Intelligence and Willpower ... I'll start Intelligence leveling at level 10 and Willpower at level 13 (after I max Agility) ... I plan to make a run at about half the Daedra quests once I hit level 10 ... I should have completed the Fighter's Guild and Collector by then

Oblivion is a great game. It has/had its flaws for sure, especially early on; but hell, now you can download a few unofficial patches that fix all or at least the vast majority of bugs and a few graphics overhauls and it can look as good as anything released today.

Oblivion is level scaled to the extreme and fairly generic fantasy. They also cut out a ton of the spellcrafting and gear enchanting. Joining and becoming the leader of guilds is also much less restrictive. Morrowind expected you to slowly work your way up in guilds, while honing the skills that guild would require. You also have the House factions, which provide interesting gameplay and story.

ok hmm morrowind seemed to be more complex. enchanting was much more versatile. and it seems bigger which i talked about in my previous post. when i got off the boat in the begining of the game i felt kind of lost and a bit overwelmed, which isn't something oblivion did, even though you just got out of jail. it also took me waaaay longer to beat. no way you could beat morrowind in 20 hours. plus the overall game seemed more challenging. Finding items was more exiting since they were more challenging to get. sneaking was more challenging ( or it seemed that way to me). plus the expansions were way bigger. i couldn't find the boat and i swam to the island than was added in one of the expansions and it took like 15-20min lol.

and if the dated graphics are an issue for you overhaul 3.0 does an amazing job of bringing the game up to dated.

Back