Taking a while to "get internet" after a boot.

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Hi,

So This has been happening for a while now. Not sure what happened. I've even changed routers and its the samething. Basically, it takes a good 1-2 mins upon boot to windows before Internet comes "online" on my computer. It is a wired connection. Wireless connection is always ON, and no problems there.
Is there a setting I have wrong?

Are you using any non-Microsoft Windows supplied software for the wireless? Sometimes it can take a minute for the third party software to load, obtain an address (if you are using DHCP), etc. It's worse if you are using a slower mechanical drive as well.

What OS? (Choose one): 3.1 3.11, 95, 95b, 98, 98se, 2000, XP, vista, Win7, Win8

What AV? Name and version.

Run MSconfig, what is starting up with the PC in question?

Are you using any non-Microsoft Windows supplied software for the wireless? Sometimes it can take a minute for the third party software to load, obtain an address (if you are using DHCP), etc. It's worse if you are using a slower mechanical drive as well.

Nothing that I can think of.
I am using an OCZ Agility 1 SSD.

What OS? (Choose one): 3.1 3.11, 95, 95b, 98, 98se, 2000, XP, vista, Win7, Win8

What AV? Name and version.

Run MSconfig, what is starting up with the PC in question?

Windows 7.
Total Defense(It's currently not installed properly, maybe that is the case? I get an error upon boot up, was always too lazy to fix it).

MSCONFIG:
BoxSync
Security Suite(Total Defense)
Common Desktop Agenty
Steam client bootstrapper
Google update
MS OneDriver
KiesPDLR
Search Protection(spyware)?
WIndows update
Kies
KiesAirMessage
AMD Dual core Optimizer
Apple Push
Adobe reader
Super Charger(MSI Charger program on Mobo)
Kies TrayAgent
FlexNET Connect( Flexera Software) - No idea what this is
Paperport
paperport
SSEreg(from same mfg. as paperport)
Quicktime
Itunes
Catalyst Control Center
Microsfot windows OS
Javea auto update
Dropbox
Box sync

Well, I unchecked most, if not all of those start up programs and it did not really help.

It's worth a try to get that running or just disable/uninstall it completely if it isn't even correctly installed. Having a broken software that even partly works isn't doing you any favors.

FlexNet Connect - seems like some OEM crapware. I'd uncheck that and save/restart if you can't remove it entirely from Programs.

Kies TrayAgent - Looks like complete crapware.

Search Protector - Definitely crapware.

Do yourself some favors and take great care when installing software. They really try to trick you even Oracle with their Java Updates. Use Avast!, Avira, AVG, or MSE for your Anti-Virus. You don't usually need all that Suite crap anyways, unless that isn't something you can remove.

Also install Malwarebytes Free Edition. Give your machine a thorough scan. That spyware crap most certainly can cause issues like this and it's one of the easier ways to tell when you have malware on a system when they don't visible stick out.

Are you plugged into any switch at all? Or perhaps your router is acting a lot like a managed switch?

This can happen with STP trying to verify your computer is not another switch. You'd need to enable Port Fast or another similar technology on your switch to speed it up.

I've seen this happen on laptops that have a shitload of wireless connections in their inventory. If this applies to you then clear out unneeded wireless connections. Or try disabling the wireless and see what happens.

Maybe try reinstalling the NIC drivers? I built a computer for my dad and Windows installed it's one drivers for the NIC so I didn't bother then it started not connecting or taking a long time to connect so I installed the drivers off the motherboard CD and it's worked fine since.

you could always try statically assigning an IP address to the NIC on your machine and see if you experience the same troubles.

It looks like it was the antivirus. I removed it and did a proper reinstall(I still have 6 months left on this key) and I don't have that delay anymore.
Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Back