Take Two taking down GTA mods.

The right way to kill mods is to just do what Blizzard did in WoW. Take the features that make those mods great and add them into WoW directly.

Hope one day these companies get people in charge that actually know how the market works, know that mods promote and push their games further which helps drive sales. I WANT to buy games from companies that support modding.

Hope one day these companies get people in charge that actually know how the market works, know that mods promote and push their games further which helps drive sales. I WANT to buy games from companies that support modding.

Unfortunately they won't, because everyone will keep buying their games either way. No incentive.

Isn't' GTA community so large that they can simply cry in social media and Take Two would have to act due to "bad marketing influence". Usually it works these days whether the company like Take Two is very conservative or not. Shutting down mods isn't 2021 of handling stuff. I know I won't ever pay for a GTA game until this changes at least.

Isn't' GTA community so large that they can simply cry in social media and Take Two would have to act due to "bad marketing influence". Usually it works these days whether the company like Take Two is very conservative or not. Shutting down mods isn't 2021 of handling stuff. I know I won't ever pay for a GTA game until this changes at least.

I would, but every time I get my Twitter account unlocked again, it's suspended within just a few minutes.

Dick move, Take Two Interactive. Absolutely dick move.

Too many games were made into things truly great because of mods, some of which branched out into standalone releases and while all the GTA examples were covered, alongside a few other things like SA:MP (imagine that, modding multiplayer into a game that didn't already have it yet):
-anything Bethesda ever puts out (mostly because the mods fix their games to begin with)
-Doom (which was probably the first id Software release designed to be modded, and still has a thriving mod community to this day)
-Quake (see above with Doom, only it's Quake that gave us Team Fortress)
-Unreal (the mutator system is the best I've ever seen for micro-mods, and it downloads map and mod files from the server that you don't already have so you can join; also, UT2003/2004 gave us Red Orchestra and Killing Floor, the former being the winner of the Make Something Unreal contest that led to the foundation of Tripwire Interactive)
-Half-Life (Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat with HL1, then Garry's Mod with HL2, also relatively minor stuff like Sven Co-op and Synergy besides the big ones)
-Starsiege: Tribes/Tribes 2 (Maybe not as prominent as all the other FPS examples, but you can get all sorts of custom maps and weapon/equipment mods, and they're still legal freeware with people playing last time I checked)
-Halo: Combat Evolved (Okay, we had to wait years for Halo 1 on PC/Mac after its Xbox debut, and don't get me started on how long we had to wait for MCC after that, but go look up stuff like SPV3 and Halo: Cursed Edition that kept the original game going even amidst all the sequels)
-Refractor-era Battlefield (BF1942 acked public mod tools at first, but that didn't stop anyone! Then they added a mod menu, released Battlecraft, and we got stuff like Galactic Conquest (a Star Wars mod well before Battlefront became a thing), Desert Combat (the likely reason Battlefield 2 went present-day), Battlefield Pirates, Forgotten Hope, even one inspired by Interstate '76/82...)
-Operation Flashpoint/ArmA (DayZ is the big one that broke out into a standalone release, but even outside of that, there's all sorts of realism mods, RP/sandbox mods, etc. that I can't begin to count)

For that matter, I can even name a few sim examples, rather than just FPSs and RPGs:
-Falcon 4.0 (Falcon BMS does a surprisingly good job of making you forget that it's built on a game/sim engine dating back to 1998, and the original F4 is really just a requirement to keep things legal)
-IL-2 Sturmovik: FB/AEP/PF/1946 (The original IL-2 has so many huge mod packs out, ones that even go as far as implementing Korean War-era jets with early heatseeking missiles, that you're bound to find something you like)
-Richard Burns Rally (Before DiRT Rally, we had RBR, which also has huge mod packs for additional cars and tracks, and even an OpenVR/SteamVR mod last time I checked)

Many of these went on to become iconic franchises, and start more franchises in turn (again, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike). Others are officially abandoned by their developers, but kept alive thanks to the efforts of devoted fans, especially when they have the source code. Some of those people even wind up with professional careers in the gaming industry, which is almost certainly the case for those who started on id Tech or Unreal Engine-based titles.

Long story short, don't screw over content creators. Those people modding your current game may help make your next one even better, and it also makes people want to buy your current game even years after its release because they want to try the mods that you're not even paying them to make.

When is GTA 6 coming out? If everyone just keeps modding the last game will they ever buy the new one hmm?

When is GTA 6 coming out? If everyone just keeps modding the last game will they ever buy the new one hmm?
They seem to be targeting mods for the GTA 3 trilogy(3, VC, SA), mostly graphics overhaul type mods. The speculation is that they're planning to release remakes of them but if they can't compete with fan made mods then they're not very good so it still seems stupid to me.

They seem to be targeting mods for the GTA 3 trilogy(3, VC, SA), mostly graphics overhaul type mods. The speculation is that they're planning to release remakes of them but if they can't compete with fan made mods then they're not very good so it still seems stupid to me.

Take2's layers are the best. I'm sure they're doing this for a very good (for them) reason.

Back