Take On Helicopters (new Bohemia game)

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/31/c...-helicopters/?mtc=comment-59862#comment-59862

Just announced. With this and Cliffs of Dover this year is looking great for flying games. I'm a huge fan of flying the helicopters in Arma 2. If they can keep up that level of support (trackir/eyefinity), but improve the throttle, it will be great. The throttle support in Arma 2 was kind of crap (couldn't use the full throttle range). DCS is a little too real for my taste, this sounds just about perfect. I am hoping they have some combat missions though.

I'm excited for Cliff Of Dover since I've been playing the original IL-2 since 2001...but I'm skeptical of anything made by Bohemia Interactive given their track record of shitastic unrefined lagfests in games dating back to the original Operation Flashpoint. If you want a helicopter game that is a little more arcadey than simulator, you should try that game that was made by the creators of Wings Of Prey., it's pretty decent on PC.

I'm excited for Cliff Of Dover since I've been playing the original IL-2 since 2001...but I'm skeptical of anything made by Bohemia Interactive given their track record of shitastic unrefined lagfests in games dating back to the original Operation Flashpoint. If you want a helicopter game that is a little more arcadey than simulator, you should try that game that was made by the creators of Wings Of Prey., it's pretty decent on PC.

I do want to try that Apache game, but I want to buy it on Steam or Direct2Drive and not YuPlay (which I hate having to run anyway). I loved Wings of Prey, but YuPlay is annoying as hell.

I do want to try that Apache game, but I want to buy it on Steam or Direct2Drive and not YuPlay (which I hate having to run anyway). I loved Wings of Prey, but YuPlay is annoying as hell.

Agreed..no matter how many times I change my password to something I want that shit never saves it and always tells me I'm putting in the wrong password in and makes me use their random generated crap.

Looks awesome, can't wait to play it, almost inclined to buy OA just so I can play it this weekend which I am sure is part of their plan!

It reminds me of a certain helicopter rescue simulator. Don't know if anyone remembers the title, it was released in the early 2000's I think.

It reminds me of a certain helicopter rescue simulator. Don't know if anyone remembers the title, it was released in the early 2000's I think.

Search and Rescue series. The last one was Search and Rescue 4: Coastal Heroes

They finally fixed analog throttles!!

I really hope they roll that into Arma 2 asap. That is such a huge improvement.

Cool video here (not mine):
[ame="http://vimeo.com/26057596"]Take on Helicopters on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
Is the Community Preview ongoing or just for this weekend? Might have too much going on to give it a try this weekend.

I have seen no indication of it ending any time soon. I would assume it's ongoing. There are already some custom missions being pumped out as well.

The preview that comes stock w/ the installer is just a short flying course.

Looks ok, but I think SimCopter was the ultimate helicopter game.

To the OP and anyone else excited about Cliffs of Dover: don't get your hopes up, as the game is pretty much broken and borderline unplayable even after multiple patches. In fact, the patches have broken certain things they were supposed to fix, and the lead designer has flat out said the person in charge of the sound had no idea what he was doing so they're hiring someone else. It's just a huge mess of a project and why the NA release kept getting delayed. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't cancelled altogether.

Pre-ordered it on Steam. I had a ton of fun playing the alpha so far. I can't wait to see a similar flight model in Arma.

Sigh ..., there are times when I hate my self-imposed Steam purchase policy of not paying anywhere close to full retail on games and this is one of those times.

Hopefully there will be some decent sales for Thanksgiving or X-mas this year, if not then I'll be playing this next X-mas.

Three singleplayer scenarios.
This does make me wonder though whether this is a very short SP campaign and once you have done that there's nothing else to do.

I've seen the "community preview" in Youtube showing what appears to be other maps, other than the desert valley challenge....how it this? Can I use more than the 1 map that loads w/ the "community preview"?

I read people saying the frame rates are not very good in the beta for Take On Helicopters. Kind of what I expected from Bohemia and after the Clod fiasco I am staying away. I can't enjoy sims if the frame rate sucks. Need fluid motion to play them properly.

I played the "community preview" (I have, but not have played much, Arma 2 CO/OA), spent some time flying around, though about what happened w/ Arma (it was an ok game, but too complicated, herky/jerky, and buggy), and began to realize, I'm not going to buy this game....for sure not at that price point. I uninstalled all my Bohemia games as I don't foresee giving Arma/etc. another shot, for now. Not w/ BF3 in the pipeline.

I played the "community preview" (I have, but not have played much, Arma 2 CO/OA), spent some time flying around, though about what happened w/ Arma (it was an ok game, but too complicated, herky/jerky, and buggy), and began to realize, I'm not going to buy this game....for sure not at that price point. I uninstalled all my Bohemia games as I don't foresee giving Arma/etc. another shot, for now. Not w/ BF3 in the pipeline.

Patch 1.6 is set to fix the banding issue's in mp I've been holding off on arma until it releases but word from the guys running the beta patch is that it is a massive improvement.

Patch 1.6 is set to fix the banding issue's in mp I've been holding off on arma until it releases but word from the guys running the beta patch is that it is a massive improvement.

Oh you mean they finally decided to improve the same netcode they've been using since 2001? :eek:

Any feedback? Worth getting? Enough to do in single player or is it very short?

I had a ton of fun flying the alpha/beta version, but unfortunately I need to wait until the end of the month to download the final version as I'm bumping up to my 250GB Comcrap monthly cap :( That's not enough bandwidth with the amount of games being released now days. I may end up going to a friends and downloading it onto an external drive this weekend. The game is pretty tough if you start turning off the assists. You are constantly adjusting your trim - it's a balancing act. Great fun if you like that kind of stuff and have a hotas/rudder setup.

Great fun if you like that kind of stuff and have a hotas/rudder setup.
Would you say that hotas/rudder is required to make this game fun? The old keyboard/mouse or maybe a gamepad just doesn't do it?

They said that they will eventually add a demo and without one it's just tough to decide whether this is worth buying or not.

Would you say that hotas/rudder is required to make this game fun? The old keyboard/mouse or maybe a gamepad just doesn't do it?

They said that they will eventually add a demo and without one it's just tough to decide whether this is worth buying or not.

You can definitely fly with a keyboard or gamepad. The game has auto-trim options for this reason. It will still be a pretty big challenge even with that option enabled. The hardest difficulty basically requires proper controls as it is a simulation. (you need several analog axes for that).

Search and Rescue series. The last one was Search and Rescue 4: Coastal Heroes

I remember those games....I always remember being creeped out because of the music that would play in the background. Something about it made me think a monster or something was about to attack me.:eek:

So I bought this during the Steam sale and it's junk.

The voice acting of the story line is mediocre to a mediocre script. The textures are low res and even then there are some frame rate issues (i7-2600, HD6970, 12GB RAM).

The flight model is meh. Though I have to say that it is difficult to recreate a helo flight model. I have flown probably some 30 hours in the past 5 years as a passenger on helicopters (AS350, Bell 206-L4) and flying one of those is all about feeling the aircraft. Your body is essentially a sensor that tells you what is happening. Obviously that doesn't work in the game. Couple that with the inherent lack of spatial awareness in games (just not the same to look around in a game vs looking around IRL), and some of TOH just becomes frustratingly tedious.

I paid $20 for it including the DLC. I only went through the tutorial and the first couple career missions. May try the DLC (military aircraft) or may just uninstall and do something else instead.

As of now I consider this game to be quite a bit of a letdown.

Back