Take Control of Your 4800 Video Card's Fan @ [H]

... For me "profiles" isn't a folder but instead a 14kb .xml file? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

A few questions.... Is the fan profile entry 'Automatic' required for regulating the fan speed upward without human intervention, as temperature climbs due to graphics loading? If you create a profile and forget to change it to high speed prior to starting gaming, are there any protections in place to stop the card from overheating? Will the ATI tool regulate the fan speed upward automatically as well?

A few questions.... Is the fan profile entry 'Automatic' required for regulating the fan speed upward without human intervention, as temperature climbs due to graphics loading? If you create a profile and forget to change it to high speed prior to starting gaming, are there any protections in place to stop the card from overheating? Will the ATI tool regulate the fan speed upward automatically as well?
If the fan profile is set to automatic, the fan speed will be changed automatically by the fan controller of the card as a function of the gpu temperature. This regulation is done in hardware (i.e. it doesn't depend on the drivers or CCC). By default settings the fan speed should become 100 % when the temperature is near 100 °C, but keep in mind that this behavior depends on the bios of your card. For example on some 48xx single GPU cards the fan speed is set to 100 % when the temperature reaches 95 °C.
Anyway you can tune the parameters of the fan controller with Rivatuner in order to get your desired fan speed profile.

This is a great tutorial and it worked great... However, I had to reformat my pc last night and now when I try to create a profile to change the fan speed, the fan control settings are no longer listed! It's in the original Profiles.xml file and I've tried copying and pasting the fan code but it's not working.

Any idea why? I'm still updating the OS and need to install SP1 still but not sure if that's what's causing it. I installed the 8.9's and they installed succesfully.

lllinnnuuuxxx i am on linux you fiends..... heeelppp me this @#$ is melting!

lllinnnuuuxxx i am on linux you fiends..... heeelppp me this @#$ is melting!

The stock fan speeds are enough to cool the video cards. ATI wouldn't have released them set to the speeds they use if it could have resulted in damage. Stop worrying about temps and just enjoy your card.

I'm going to try and use this and riva tuner, I use the g15 mod for riva tuner, so i see all of the data on the screen, at 25% my idle is 58-60deg, and load is about 75, at 30% its even better. the fan doesn't really need to go that high for gaming.

CS:S at 32% fanspeed I get around 62-63load (ac off) 58 with my ac on

i think the best way to take over the temperature is to flash your card to Asus Bios and you will be set :)

what does the asus bios give u

nothing special but it drops the temperature...idle 45 to 50c and on load 70ish...plus its a permanent fix means you don't have to set things again and again if you reinstall windows. One extra feature i guess you can get and i.e extra clock speed on stock..:)

Great post! This definitely helped me drastically reduce my gpu temperature while gaming. Thanks!

I have a Gigabyte HD 4870 and was getting between 69C and 71C at idle. Made speed to 30% and now it's at 42C. When I try 40% it goes to 32C !!!

Thanks.

I adjusted my fan speeds using this method, then for various reasons I wanted to revert it. I deleted all my profiles, uninstalled Catalyst, and reinstalled it. Will it now operate as it did originally?

I adjusted my fan speeds using this method, then for various reasons I wanted to revert it. I deleted all my profiles, uninstalled Catalyst, and reinstalled it. Will it now operate as it did originally?

Yeah, it should.

I installed Asus smartdoctor to speed up the fan, and I found a little problem. I set it so that it is at 60% normally, to keep the card cool.

I then decided to uninstall SmartDoctor. Now when I play games, the fan is stuck at 60% as that is what Smartdoctor set it as before uninstall. I had to reinstall Smartdoctor to let it upscale to 100% at max load to fix it.

Instead of setting it to a fix speed. Is there anyway to set it up for a certain speed for a certain temp?

Ex.

temp < 50c : fan speed = 30%

50c <= temp < 60c : fan speed = 40%

temp >= 60c : fan speed = 50%

and so on....?

Instead of setting it to a fix speed. Is there anyway to set it up for a certain speed for a certain temp?

Ex.

temp < 50c : fan speed = 30%

50c <= temp < 60c : fan speed = 40%

temp >= 60c : fan speed = 50%

and so on....?
Not with CCC.

Back