Take care Nikon has ended all support Windows 7. Don't buy Nikon or Sony.

Jandor

Gawd
This is really bad since they didn't do the same for XP and Vista at the end of support. It is the brand I use for DSLR, and I am in pain about this.
Only Windows 8.1 and 10 supported for anything new from 2020 on, including older firmware or software.

Same problem at Sony DSLR. But I already discovered that on Sony Smartphones when Vista and XP support ended.

BUT Canon still providing everything for XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10, plenty of MacOS of all kind support.
I'm sad I swapped from Canon on film for Nikon on digital. Will think about how to come back to Canon. I'm quite unpleased with Nikon on other issues. I will never ever use Windows 10 or Windows 8.1. I have everything I need on Windows 7 for plenty of years (Ryzen 3950 runs on Windows 7 with no problem and maybe 4950 will also) and Linux will be the only alternative.
And not only I don't use Windows 10 at Home, and I prevent all my familly and convinced friends not to, but I'm also preventing anyone of using Windows 10 at my company. I've already told them that if I ever see someone with a Windows 10 personal laptop, I'll fire them... (just kidding but they took it seriously :) )

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Right? Without getting into the windows 7 vs Windows 10 debate... But in the end even the naysayers will switch over. They always do. The same shit when people refused to leave XP.

I mean, could always just unplug the editing machine from the internet, but otherwise?

Update your stuff.

Right? Without getting into the windows 7 vs Windows 10 debate... But in the end even the naysayers will switch over. They always do. The same shit when people refused to leave XP.

Uh... you mean Nikon isn't supporting WinXP either.

If you rely on security solely from os updates you're doing it wrong.
Not supporting win 7 which is still half the market is pretty stupid.

Well this is kind of a problem because your DSLR isn't related to internet. It's not like, "I need a new PC with Windows 10 up to date" to use my new DSLR. This is some stupid behavior from Nikon. You could for instance have your second home with an old PC with XP or some older laptop or a firend who brought his Windiws 7 or even XP laptop who wants to see the content of your DSLR or you want to show him... well, not possible you need Windows 10. :(

How long do you expect companies to support legacy products? Even after the manufacturer stops supporting it main stream?

I have no issue updating hardware and software to keep current support especially with hobby things and things I make money with.

I say get with the times. So many people clamor to old outdated software. And I was a huge fan of a Windows 7, but it’s had it’s day.

What support is getting removed or stopped?
Generally all first party software is garbage. I haven't used Nikon's software, but I've seen it (I have a friend that uses a Z6 and Atomos Shogun Inferno). I have first hand experience with Canon and Sony software. And basically everything all first party software does, CaptureOne or Lightroom does better. So if it's software that isn't getting updated then that is no loss.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that matters is updated RAW support which likely won't affect Windows 7 users for a few years and/or until these camera manufacturers create new cameras that have new RAWs that don't get supported in these older operating systems.

Last edited:
Nikon's software was approaching the definition of ass when I last checked, but that was years ago.

Canon's is okay in terms of usability, but can produce some pretty incredible results and is worth keeping up with. I'm speaking specifically to their Digital Lens Optimization function.

Sony's is... about as good as the menus on their cameras.

In all cases, I wouldn't expect them to continue to develop for deprecated operating systems that are no longer receiving security patching.

Nikon software is quite good to fine tune RAW images, denoise etc. I mean not those they used to sell but the free new ones.

This is really bad since they didn't do the same for XP and Vista at the end of support. It is the brand I use for DSLR, and I am in pain about this.
Only Windows 8.1 and 10 supported for anything new from 2020 on, including older firmware or software.

Same problem at Sony DSLR. But I already discovered that on Sony Smartphones when Vista and XP support ended.

BUT Canon still providing everything for XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10, plenty of MacOS of all kind support.
I'm sad I swapped from Canon on film for Nikon on digital. Will think about how to come back to Canon. I'm quite unpleased with Nikon on other issues. I will never ever use Windows 10 or Windows 8.1. I have everything I need on Windows 7 for plenty of years (Ryzen 3950 runs on Windows 7 with no problem and maybe 4950 will also) and Linux will be the only alternative.
And not only I don't use Windows 10 at Home, and I prevent all my familly and convinced friends not to, but I'm also preventing anyone of using Windows 10 at my company. I've already told them that if I ever see someone with a Windows 10 personal laptop, I'll fire them... (just kidding but they took it seriously :) )
Thanks for the headsup.

Common folks, any semi serious photographer uses Lightroom or Photoshop.

True as this largely is, camera manufacturers still do provide software that can be useful, be it better lens corrections (Canon) or stuff like the multi-shot pixel shift images that many manufacturers with IBIS in their cameras save to proprietary or mostly proprietary formats, etc.

Oh No! Nikon and Sony is no longer supporting an EOL MS OS that MS is not releasing any more updates for.

MS has been telling people for a long time when support for Windows 7 was going to end.

Windows 7 came out over 10 years ago. How long do you expect MS to support it? Not like they are selling or making any money off of it anymore. It would be a stupid business decision for MS or any other company to continue to support Windows 7.

Go to Windows 10. The upgrade is completely free.

Common folks, any semi serious photographer uses Lightroom or Photoshop.
Proprietary software from the manufacturers denoise (for instance) better than general software. I remember this has been tested and you could spend hours on pro software to get close to tools like those made by Nikon on purpose for your camera and lens. And yet those software are free.
Yet what is not normal is that you don't have to put your PC on the level of your camera whether it's new or not. They are just unrelated. It can be a PC you don't use for Internet at all and you just use for photography only for many years... You've got good Core 2 Duo laptops with enough RAM and good HDD you could have upgraded with an old photoshop (Photoshop doesn't need huge RAM). Windows Vista or XP. Everything fine. Why would you need to buy a new laptop ?

There is always open source.......
Open source is even worse as a manufacturer like Nikon won't describe the detailed hardware specifications of his cameras. For instance the denoising achieved by Nikon on the Sony built sensors are much better than those of Sony cameras on their own sensors that are the same they sold to Nikon. And this is true on the inner software to the camera and also the manufacturer's software on computer. Software not using the non disclosed hardware knowledge, by some manufacturer plugin or tool, are not even close to those offered by the manufacturers.

Then write your own
What kind of response is that?
He gave a credible answer in context with the thread.
Nothing posted here confirms he has the ability to write his own.
His reply to you describes why it is better coming from Nikon.

Last edited:
Yeah, cuz he's the only one suffering from this.

There is always a way, or keep with the times. If it's that important, a solution is available. That is if you really wish to continue with an item that has hit it's expiration date... Maybe don't use products that are so proprietary. Just saying. Alternatives are out there

Yeah, cuz he's the only one suffering from this.
Not true.

There is always a way, or keep with the times. If it's that important, a solution is available. That is if you really wish to continue with an item that has hit it's expiration date... Maybe don't use products that are so proprietary. Just saying. Alternatives are out there
He explained there isnt a good enough alternative.
How are you able to decide a products expiration? Explain how you can be so sure about this.

Ok <shrugs> WTF we arguing about?
Don't use obsolete operating systems that lack security update support.
Oh No! Nikon and Sony is no longer supporting an EOL MS OS that MS is not releasing any more updates for.

MS has been telling people for a long time when support for Windows 7 was going to end.

Windows 7 came out over 10 years ago. How long do you expect MS to support it? Not like they are selling or making any money off of it anymore. It would be a stupid business decision for MS or any other company to continue to support Windows 7.

Go to Windows 10. The upgrade is completely free.
Proprietary software from the manufacturers denoise (for instance) better than general software. I remember this has been tested and you could spend hours on pro software to get close to tools like those made by Nikon on purpose for your camera and lens. And yet those software are free.
Yet what is not normal is that you don't have to put your PC on the level of your camera whether it's new or not. They are just unrelated. It can be a PC you don't use for Internet at all and you just use for photography only for many years... You've got good Core 2 Duo laptops with enough RAM and good HDD you could have upgraded with an old photoshop (Photoshop doesn't need huge RAM). Windows Vista or XP. Everything fine. Why would you need to buy a new laptop ?

Not true.

He explained there isnt a good enough alternative.

I think any of the pro solutions are more than a "good enough" alternative. It's likely the other way around in which if you're using an inexpensive $500 dslr you probably would rather just use bundled software rather than pay $300 for CaptureOne Pro 20 or get into Adobe's subscription plan.
If you didn't want to even use those then there are still even third party options like Affinity Photo or even "The Gimp" as an open source solution.

As far as wanting "perfect" noise reduction, you do realize that all these pro pieces of software exist within this hardware landscape right? As an example for serious film you're likely using: Avid, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, or FCPX. There is no "first party" NLE alternative and we're talking about software that is used for $100million dollar films (neither Red nor ARRI make NLE software, surprise). So I guess they're just screwed right because no software exists that is first party?
I say that to say if you don't think companies have time or spend the resources to reverse engineer, use AI, or a slew of other resources at their fingertips in order to have their software work right, you're wrong. Adobe as an example creates profiles for every camera that every manufacturer makes. Meticulously. And it's an absurd way of looking at the situation to believe that the third party alternatives somehow aren't able to compete when in actuality the software is far more developed than first party alternatives.

I'll go back to my earlier post in this tread: first party software is garbage. No one who is a photographer at a high level is using any of it. The only support that is necessary is support for new RAWs.

I think any of the pro solutions are more than a "good enough" alternative. It's likely the other way around in which if you're using an inexpensive $500 dslr you probably would rather just use bundled software rather than pay $300 for CaptureOne Pro 20 or get into Adobe's subscription plan.
If you didn't want to even use those then there are still even third party options like Affinity Photo or even "The Gimp" as an open source solution.

As far as wanting "perfect" noise reduction, you do realize that all these pro pieces of software exist within this hardware landscape right? As an example for serious film you're likely using: Avid, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, or FCPX. There is no "first party" NLE alternative and we're talking about software that is used for $100million dollar films (neither Red nor ARRI make NLE software, surprise). So I guess they're just screwed right because no software exists that is first party?
I say that to say if you don't think companies have time or spend the resources to reverse engineer, use AI, or a slew of other resources at their fingertips in order to have their software work right, you're wrong. Adobe as an example creates profiles for every camera that every manufacturer makes. Meticulously. And it's an absurd way of looking at the situation to believe that the third party alternatives somehow aren't able to compete when in actuality the software is far more developed than first party alternatives.

I'll go back to my earlier post in this tread: first party software is garbage. No one who is a photographer at a high level is using any of it. The only support that is necessary is support for new RAWs.
You should address the op.

The camera will still operate as a card reader on windows 7. I am a Canon user but I know plenty of people that use Nikon's including current models with XP based laptops still when they are out & about. I also know a lot of professional Nikon users that do not use 1st party products at all & their photos are used in printed media at the highest RAW resolutions. They use lens correction & denoise functions in Lightroom & Photoshop without any issue at all.

Well this is kind of a problem because your DSLR isn't related to internet. It's not like, "I need a new PC with Windows 10 up to date" to use my new DSLR. This is some stupid behavior from Nikon. You could for instance have your second home with an old PC with XP or some older laptop or a firend who brought his Windiws 7 or even XP laptop who wants to see the content of your DSLR or you want to show him... well, not possible you need Windows 10. :(
It depends on the reason. If they are ending support just because they want to end it, I guess you can be upset. But if it's to take advantage of a new tech that 7 doesn't have, I can't blame them. Another way to look at it is as a software developer, how do you decide when to pull the plug on a specific OS? I guess you can go based on Microsoft support. You could go based on install base too. I don't know.

Another way to look at it is as a software developer, how do you decide when to pull the plug on a specific OS? I guess you can go based on Microsoft support.

This is really the beginning and end of it. Nikon's developers will be targeting a baseline, and while the baseline of a deprecated OS will remain static, as vulnerabilities pile up and drivers drift further from the mainstream they'd find themselves in a support nightmare.

Nikon is also a smaller company and has taken a beating lately. Nikon recently dropped their sporting optics lines didn't they? It's entirely possible that on top of the choice to follow the operating system creator's support path, they simply don't have the resources to continue to support antiquated operating systems. I'm not sure. I am a Nikon user myself, but the only thing I've used of theirs is SnapBridge or whatever it's called basically to attach geography data to my photos. I never used it much for looking at photos.

The best they can do, and maybe they sort of have, is release a final working copy with no official support for older operating systems. If you have an older version of the software, I'd expect it would still function (with all the potential pitfalls there). It wouldn't be the first time a software would be considered mature and production abandoned (though usually only on very small scale).

Back