Take a look at this TEC Waterblock

that will certainly cool you pr0k, but what about your room? that be a space heater

Why anybody would spend 200 for the block and then 200 for 2 Meanwell PSUs to power the thing when they could get a low end Vapochill for that much is just beyond me. Of course judging by how incredibly stupid some people can be by buying without doing any research Im sure it will sell. Just for thehell of it for the people dont know how TECS work, the TEC module alone will produce Heat in Watts = [(voltage into tec / max voltage tec can handle ) x max amperage] x voltage tecs running at. In this case lets assume a 24V PSU. From the specs on the Frozen CPU site of the TEC 25V = Max Voltage and 25 amps = max amps.
(24V / 25v) X 25 amps = 24 amps needed for it to run at 24 V.
24 amps x 24 V = 576W of heat just from the TEC alone. Then add the wattage your CPU is outputting which is usually 80-120W or more and you need your radiator(s) to be able to dissapate 656W - 696W or more of heat. I hope your room that this is going into is air conditioned 24/7 all year round.

aww your taking all of the fun out of it :p

there was quite a history of TEC use till the phase change and chip chiller scene was fully developed, but I agree

there is one area where the new development in TEC capacity still has a potential for some innovative home grown extreme cooling (but at an atrocious efficiency cost) and that would be if you could figure out how to employ stacked pelts (likely 3 to 4 layers deep) to a large enough interface to flash water to steam which has a huge heat transfer potential

SprayCooling.jpg

(Water Boiling Convection in the chart above)

the stacked pelts increasing the temperature differential, but again that would just be an exercise in possibility, easily exceeded by a cascade phase change setup

Ive never really liked TECs much beacuse if something goes wrong there everything goes to hell in a handbasket very very fast

there arent many TEC w\ ambient cooled rad people left these days but it was an interesting period

My friend stacked 4 lower wattage pelts on top of each other then water cooled it about 4 years ago in high school. Celeron 300A @ 660+ MHz, running -20C..

at one point a dual layer was quite common, but the upper layers need to deal with so much more heat that reliable use becomes problematic, and at the time the limiting factor was the total capacity the upper layer pelts had
(was common to stack one 72 watt, cooled by 2 x 72 watt, ect)
with the added capacity since then it would be interesting to see this revisited

four deep is impressive, but the capacity scales up right?

Personally, I'm going dual TEC for my next rig (one on CPU one on GPU). I'm doing this because I'm going to mod my case, and because of the style I want to go. The look I'm going for I need water cooling/TEC. If I wanted pure speed, the sure, phase change all the way. But for looks, I'd go TEC.

I would say that that this is probably for people using chilled water. Imagine running -20C water/anti-freeze through that! Probably beat the temps of the Phase Change systems!
:p

Oh Yea. If anyone is wondering what a noob is doing here; The first thing I watercooled (sub ambiant) was a P1 233 mmx @ 292 MHz. D2Heat spreader. :rolleyes:

Back