Taiyo Yudens at Best Buy: $15 YMMV

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
And here we go again -

For this week, Best Buy has 50 pack spindles of Fujifilm DVD+R and DVD-R discs for $15 + tax.

If you find a DVD+R spindle that says "Made in Japan" then you have yourself some Taiyo Yuden TYG02 discs. 8x rated, can be burned at 16x in select drives (like NECs, Benq 1640 with some software or feature I forgot...).

That makes the deal 'warm'

If it's Made in Taiwan, it's probably just CMC junk - and this deal becomes icy.

Alright, I'm a self proclaimed noob of media. Can someone explain what is the big deal with "Taiyo Yuden" based media?

My best buy only had the MIT stuff.

On another note, Meijer carries the Taiyo-made Fuji's in 100 packs for $25.

Z(+)DIAC said:
Alright, I'm a self proclaimed noob of media. Can someone explain what is the big deal with "Taiyo Yuden" based media?

High compatibility with many drives and burners (unlike crap like Prodisc discs), will pretty consistently give you excellent burn quality, probably some of the most reliable and longlasting discs (of course, you should always store discs properly).

Quite simply, it's one of the best. :)

Considering you can order a 100-pack of TY discs from places like rima.com for $30 (non-branded, just straight from TY) it's a pretty cheap price to pay for good media.

All I have these days are TYs, Mitsubishi 03s, and RicohJPN discs. When archiving, I don't like to use the same kind of discs or discs from the same batch, so I keep other media lying around.

Kil4Thril said:
On another note, Meijer carries the Taiyo-made Fuji's in 100 packs for $25.

Is that a sale or their regular price? Doesn't sound bad at all if there's no rebates involved.

That's normal price at Meijer. Look for the ones that are in a dark-blue outer wrap. Those are good. I just reread my post- sorry, they're 50 packs. It isn't a great price on them at all, but they're available in a pinch. Occasionally, they put them on sale for 15.99, that's when I bought all my local store had (4 -r's and 5 +R's), so I have plenty. I just keep my eye on the rack everytime I go shopping.

Back