'Tails' on a thumb drive... problem

RIRed48

Limp Gawd
I downloaded the 3.16 version image, added the verification extension to Chrome, verified. DL'd Etcher, ran the .exe, and then selected the Tails img.

Error message... "The disc image file is corrupted." I tried several times with same outcome.

Anyone?

EDIT... Just tried again: Etcher started > this time got java script error message > syntax error, invalid token, then "flash failed" error message.

Last edited:
Sounds silly, but have you tried a different thumb drive to rule out hardware issues?

I was building a kali memstick installer the other day using rufus from a windows box and eventually had to take a hammer to the thumbdrive as it wouldn't image properly. Worked with a different/newer drive (and using dd mode, and doing a bios recovery to an updated flash file on the target system, etc, nothing is ever easy, lol).

Sounds silly, but have you tried a different thumb drive to rule out hardware issues?

I was building a kali memstick installer the other day using rufus from a windows box and eventually had to take a hammer to the thumbdrive as it wouldn't image properly. Worked with a different/newer drive (and using dd mode, and doing a bios recovery to an updated flash file on the target system, etc, nothing is ever easy, lol).

I was building a kali memstick installer the other day using rufus from a windows box and eventually had to take a hammer to the thumbdrive as it wouldn't image properly. Worked with a different/newer drive (and using dd mode, and doing a bios recovery to an updated flash file on the target system, etc, nothing is ever easy, lol).[/QUOTe

Thanks, but the drive is working....

If you use windows and the image file is corrupted even though you're sure it's intact, two common causes: Antivirus and/or infection. If your AV doesn't like something in the image it may stop you from either accessing it properly or it made it 'safe' by corrupting the contents when you downloaded it. Probably removed some 'bad' bits :D

Of course worse possibility is that something in your machine injected something nasty in the image and corrupted it in the process. Very possible and common also in Windows.

Try running Etcher on linux or OSX for the same image and see if it starts working magically.

One thing to do is to check your MD5 hash after download to verify your image is a) authentic and b) intact.

I downloaded the 3.16 version image, added the verification extension to Chrome, verified. DL'd Etcher, ran the .exe, and then selected the Tails img.

Error message... "The disc image file is corrupted." I tried several times with same outcome.

Anyone?

EDIT... Just tried again: Etcher started > this time got java script error message > syntax error, invalid token, then "flash failed" error message.

Old thread but, just a heads up, my very first thought after reading the post is that you have failing ram. (Or it needs to be reseated or ran at stock.)

Back