TAG Heuer, Intel, Google announce smartwatch that feels like a “normal watch”

radeon962

[H]ard|Gawd
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ce-smartwatch-that-feels-like-a-normal-watch/

From the article:

According to the leaks and quotes, TAG Heuer will release a "digital replica" of the Carrera, a fairly bulky sports watch. It will reportedly look and feel just like a normal, mechanical Carrera, but internally there'll be Intel hardware and Android Wear software that provide some smartwatch functionality. What isn't clear is the extent of the computerization: Will there still be a mechanical movement inside, or will it be all-digital with an LCD clock face?

"The difference between the TAG Heuer watch and the Apple Watch is very important," Biver said. "That one is called Apple and this one is called TAG Heuer."

:rolleyes:

What if I don't care about brand elitism and just want the best thing to wear on my wrist? Right now, my eye is on the Huiwei Watch. It looks cool, will be inexpensive (at least compared to anything from TAG Heuer or Apple) and should be free of watch-elitism.

:rolleyes:

What if I don't care about brand elitism and just want the best thing to wear on my wrist? Right now, my eye is on the Huiwei Watch. It looks cool, will be inexpensive (at least compared to anything from TAG Heuer or Apple) and should be free of watch-elitism.

Might want to check on the prices for the Huawai watch.

http://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-watch-price-a-lesson-in-context/

Further reports have stated that the device will come in several variations: the first costing $370 and coming with a black or silver finish and a stainless steel band. The second variant will cost $424 and feature a gold-colored finish and a leather strap. It is the final model that is said to cost $1000 and Huawei has stated this variant will come encased in three ounces of 24 karat gold.

Might want to check on the prices for the Huawai watch.

http://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-watch-price-a-lesson-in-context/

Further reports have stated that the device will come in several variations: the first costing $370 and coming with a black or silver finish and a stainless steel band. The second variant will cost $424 and feature a gold-colored finish and a leather strap. It is the final model that is said to cost $1000 and Huawei has stated this variant will come encased in three ounces of 24 karat gold.

And like that article points out, this pricing may be lowballing it (certainly for the gold model). A lot of people want to pretend that Apple's pricing is completely unreasonable... no, it's roughly in line with what you pay to use polished stainless steel and solid gold. If you want to take issue, it's whether or not steel and gold are wise material choices on devices that you'll probably want to replace in a few years.

Just wait until the TAG Heuer watch comes out. It's based on the Carrera, so you could easily be paying thousands of dollars for an Android Wear device -- even if eliminating the mechanical components reduces the cost.

Back