Tactical Multiplayer Shooters

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Whats with the lack of tactical shooters? Honestly, there hasn't been a good one since the original Ghost Recon.

-Call of Duty 4? Nope. I just see it as another deathmatch type game where you run around small maps killing anything that moves.
-TF2? Don't make me laugh.
-Insurgency? About as good as it gets from the past few years and its still in beta. Im getting a little tired of it and need something new.

I can't stand WW2 games so count Red October out.
Anything else worth discussing, go ahead and post it.

I've heard ARMA is good but I have yet to play it.

Hopefully Operation Flashpoint 2 will be good as well.

I've heard ARMA is good but I have yet to play it.

Hopefully Operation Flashpoint 2 will be good as well.

I tried ARMA but really didn't like it at all. I didn't give the multiplayer a shot (or even remember there being a multiplayer option) but it wasn't very much fun. I'm investing a lot of faith in OF2. I never played the original. I got into shooters right when the original was fading.

Aren't the GRAW games decent for tactical play? I've only played the demos so I don't know them in-depth. They seem a little deeper than CoD4 for tactical play.

Aren't the GRAW games decent for tactical play? I've only played the demos so I don't know them in-depth. They seem a little deeper than CoD4 for tactical play.

GRAW took what made ghost recon good, lit it on fire and pissed on it. Ghost recon featured large open maps that actually merited a sniper rifle.. whats the purpose of a sniper rifle in games when you can only see 20 yards in front of you because the maps are so small? They had a couple urban maps but it was a nice mix. Even the urban maps felt very open.

I did enjoy R6 vegas but won't buy the 2nd one. I like outdoor shooters more than breach/swat style shooters.

SWAT 4 was decent. The Brothers in Arms series might interest you.

Upcoming games are ARMA 2, Operation Flashpoint 2, and I think another America's Army game is being made.

SWAT 4 was decent. The Brothers in Arms series might interest you.

Upcoming games are ARMA 2, Operation Flashpoint 2, and I think another America's Army game is being made.

America's Army was really good too. I chased away by some of the cheaters. Hopefully they keep the same formula for their new one.

With a good team you can always go back to counterstrike source. That can be very tactical if you have the right players.

The only improvements in GRAW were the integration of ironsights and weapon customization. What they took away was the team selection, which was integral to mission success. They took away team member improvements. They took away dynamic mission planning with linear mission planning. They took away the ability to take control of any character. Sadly however its probably the most realistic shooter I have played since Raven Shield. Makes me sick.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

Vegas and Vegas 2 are practically a reskin of GoW except with no mele skills. Premission planning.. GONE. Team selection.. GONE. Mission variety... GONE. Peak...GONE. Instead we get a rediculous cover fire system and an army of enemies.

The only improvements in GRAW were the integration of ironsights and weapon customization. What they took away was the team selection, which was integral to mission success. They took away team member improvements. They took away dynamic mission planning with linear mission planning. They took away the ability to take control of any character. Sadly however its probably the most realistic shooter I have played since Raven Shield. Makes me sick.

Vegas and Vegas 2 are practically a reskin of GoW except with no mele skills. Premission planning.. GONE. Team selection.. GONE. Mission variety... GONE. Peak...GONE. Instead we get a rediculous cover fire system and an army of enemies.

Thank you. You hit it RIGHT on the nose.
Im tired of these "tactical shooters" where you mow down an entire army by yourself (or with 2 other dumb as hell computer players). I remember back in the day, when you saw "Tom Clancy" on a box, you knew it was going to be quality. Now its just a warning that screams "this game is a steaming heap of dog shit". Take a look at the new jet game coming... It looks more like the next Starfox than something you would see in a Clancy book. I bet Tom's sitting in his office chair shaking his head and regretting the moment he signed over rights to his name to ubisoft.

Edit: I can just see it now..

TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON 3! CIRCLE EVOLVED. Featuring Master Colonel.
Bent on humankind's extermination, a powerful fellowship of Russians known as the Kovenant (its spelled with a K so its obviously Russian) is wiping out the Earth's fledgling interstellar empire. You and the other surviving defenders of a devastated colony-world make a desperate attempt to lure the alien.. urrr.. RUSSIAN fleet away from Earth. Shot down and marooned on the ancient ring-world CIRCLE, you begin a guerrilla war against the Kovenant. Fight for humanity against an russian onslaught as you race to uncover the mysteries of CIRCLE.

I tried ARMA but really didn't like it at all. I didn't give the multiplayer a shot (or even remember there being a multiplayer option) but it wasn't very much fun. I'm investing a lot of faith in OF2. I never played the original. I got into shooters right when the original was fading.

Multiplayer is the only good part about armed assault its like installing the battlefield games and only playing the "singleplayer" and not liking the game. its a hell of a lot of fun, i cant even play cod4 or counterstrike or any of those games because its too fast paced and the guys jump around and are superhumans.

Armed assault multiplayer, Swat 4(although annoying due to bad gun balance)
Are the only multiplayer games i can stand.

Another vote for Armed Assault. I suggest trying out any server running the Evolution coop mission series with more than a handful of players.

TF2 isn't tactical enough for you? What's NOT tactical about run in and kill the other team, then kill them again as they try to leave their spawn, then kill them again once the round is over and they are all helpless?

Thank you. You hit it RIGHT on the nose.
Im tired of these "tactical shooters" where you mow down an entire army by yourself (or with 2 other dumb as hell computer players). I remember back in the day, when you saw "Tom Clancy" on a box, you knew it was going to be quality. Now its just a warning that screams "this game is a steaming heap of dog shit". Take a look at the new jet game coming... It looks more like the next Starfox than something you would see in a Clancy book. I bet Tom's sitting in his office chair shaking his head and regretting the moment he signed over rights to his name to ubisoft.

Edit: I can just see it now..

TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON 3! CIRCLE EVOLVED. Featuring Master Colonel.
Bent on humankind's extermination, a powerful fellowship of Russians known as the Kovenant (its spelled with a K so its obviously Russian) is wiping out the Earth's fledgling interstellar empire. You and the other surviving defenders of a devastated colony-world make a desperate attempt to lure the alien.. urrr.. RUSSIAN fleet away from Earth. Shot down and marooned on the ancient ring-world CIRCLE, you begin a guerrilla war against the Kovenant. Fight for humanity against an russian onslaught as you race to uncover the mysteries of CIRCLE.

Just following your lead ;)

I am sure Tom Clancy is doing just fine with the +$40 million he got for giving his name away. :(

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield & SWAT4
thats where it ended.

R6Vegas is exactly that, a reskinned GoW.

COD4 & CS are anything but tactical.

The gern was killed in favor of brainless arcade shooters like COD.

thats where it ended.

Wow, exactly what I was going to post.

I remember the days of Rainbow Six and Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. Those were some great tactical shooters, I played those online for a LONG time. I wish something of that caliber would rise again. I remember how pissed I was when I played the RS:Lockdown demo...

Wow, exactly what I was going to post.

I remember the days of Rainbow Six and Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. Those were some great tactical shooters, I played those online for a LONG time. I wish something of that caliber would rise again. I remember how pissed I was when I played the RS:Lockdown demo...

I knew the series was done when I saw preview screens where there were rocket launchers.

It's more arcadey than rainbow six, etc. but the mod for half life 1, Natural Selection, is the best game i've ever played for clan style matches where you actually have strategies and stuff.

thing about ARMA and OF/OF2 is they are as tactical as can get. If you try them and you don't enjoy them, you may be playing the game wrong. I absolutely LOVE operation flashpoint but when I first bought it I played a bit and gave up because it was impossible so I thought it sucked. Went back to it like a year later and everything kind of clicked in my head and it was then amazing.

ARMA isn't great, it's not the same as flashpoint but yet it is. You still need to think like a real soldier to play them, and they are way beyond the ghost recon games in terms of realism.

They really are great games, and they are best tactical games you can buy, but you need to sit down and play them like a flight or racing simulator. You can't just jump in and expect to enjoy it right away. You need to sit down and learn and then think about everything you are doing.

Since they are open ended, the possibilities of replay are almost endless. Even now I can load up flashpoint and play a mission and do it another way and 100% enjoy myself. Even more rewarding is when you go about the missions slowly and pull off a win without losing people.

:cool::D:cool::D:eek::eek::eek:

I can't find much info on this game, care to enlighten me some more?!
Here is a snip from their forums:

Ground Branch is the premiere title from Blackfoot Studios. The term Ground Branch is a little known Military and Intelligence reference phrase for the paramilitary wing of the CIA. Ground Branch is composed of a Command that oversees operational teams which conduct military and intelligence actions in support of the goals specified by the National Command Authority.

These teams are not constrained by the law of land warfare that applies to military units. They operate under the radar and outside public knowledge, often conducting operations in conjunction with Special Operations Forces. Their members are drawn from the best former SOF operators from around the world including US Army Special Forces, British SAS, Australian SAS, Navy SEALs, Delta Force, and GSG9 just to name a few.

Ground Branch often operates in an area where there is no official or allowed military presence and utilizes the most advanced weaponry, intelligence and support mechanisms.

The story in Ground Branch opens with the expanding Chinese oil companies backing a guerrilla leader in Sumatra. The goal is the over throw of the West Sumatran government in order to allow China easier access to the massive oil strata discovered to the west of the country in Sumatran waters. Loss of communication with an advance Intel gathering team along with Guerrilla seizure of oil platforms and a bold move toward the capital of West Sumatra result in the CIA deployment of a Ground Branch 6 man team to gather intelligence and assess the situation in preparation for possible US Military intervention.

The Ground Branch Team enters the fray and the player begins a whirlwind experience where the battlefield evolves and the morality of right and wrong become a matter of choice. The gamer will chase a warlord and an elusive truth across a country while employing advanced techniques such as covert underwater scuba operations and high altitude parachuting techniques known as HALO to surprise a vastly superior enemy.

The basis for the Ground Branch game experience is, like everything else in the title, realism. There are legions of FPS fans that are constantly saying, ?I wish there was a game where I could do such and such just like the real world.? With Ground Branch, they will. All the while getting their hands "dirty" and experiencing the visceral consequences of hard decisions made during desperate situations.

Dig around the forums and you'll find lots more information. Truly this sounds like the game many people have been waiting so long for.

I know people will laugh at this but COD4 has a tactical mod and I personally play on a tactical Hardcore server and I love it.

Ground Branch FTW....become a member and read the newsletters...many games devs nowadays, claim to have recruited military personnels to assist in building the game, but few actually have documented SOF/Green Beret assisting them.

In the beginning of the development, a wishlist was made, not on what are wanted on a tactical FPS, BUT what are NOT WANTED.
---bunny hopping
---unable to jump small obstacle
---rail/linear gameplay
and it was a long list.

This game is not built around a best-selling author or a well establish game publisher but around a gaming community.

BFS's mantra goes:
"Do not build your community around a game.... Build your game around a community"

Since they are old skool-folks they know the value of modders who can make or brake the longevity of a game; and dedication to make a game long missed by Tactical Gaming Community.

Read & join them, tell them Cpl_Led sent you :D

Dig around the forums and you'll find lots more information. Truly this sounds like the game many people have been waiting so long for.

Yeah, I was looking around there last night. This does sound like what I've been waiting for! Are there any release dates or screenshots or anything? IGN says the release date is 2008 TBA...

Yeah, I was looking around there last night. This does sound like what I've been waiting for! Are there any release dates or screenshots or anything? IGN says the release date is 2008 TBA...
If you register at the forums, you'll have access to screenshots. You can also get more information here.

ARMA isn't great, it's not the same as flashpoint but yet it is. You still need to think like a real soldier to play them, and they are way beyond the ghost recon games in terms of realism.

They are more realistic than the sequels. However Ghost Recon is pretty much a pure embodiment of a light recon unit. The only thing missing is iron sights. I can't think of a game that had as complex a damage model. Getting hit in the torso would be much different than getting hit on the left leg. Plus each mission could be handled dynamically.

OPF was more of a grunt soldier experience. But I thought it was a bit rediculous that you could pilot helicopters and tanks. How many riflemen are trained pilots?

Both are great but shouldn't really be compared.

Project Reality Mod for BF2 is just about the best tactical shooter I have ever played. It does very well at forcing you to work with and rely on your team.

If you got BF2 I highly suggest you check it out.

thats where it ended.

R6Vegas is exactly that, a reskinned GoW.

COD4 & CS are anything but tactical.

The gern was killed in favor of brainless arcade shooters like COD.

This man speaks the truth.

I think with ARMA you have to find a group to really enjoy the multiplayer, don't you? Or are the public co-op servers easy to drop into for an hour or two?

I know some guys that get into it for a few hours each night and it sounds pretty awesome, but I don't have that kind of time to invest. :(

Back