Tablets, tablets and more tablets!!

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
So i am at a loss when it comes to tablets, the wife had a Samsung 10" tablet and then it got dropped, screen shattered, It is going on 4 years old, maybe 3? so it was showing it's age.

She was looking at maybe a kindle, but i know she would certainly use a tablet again but i really don't know what is decent these days..

Is it still Samsung kicking butt?

We are in Canada so prices are a bit more but was thinking in the sub $500 range..

If anyone has some feedback or direction to head it would be great. She does use it to read, but also play some games but usually surf the web, skype calls with family back home and that's about it.

Depends -- are the games she plays graphically intensive? If not, you have tons of options. If they are (3D, etc) then yeah, something like a Galaxy Tab S / S2 would be a good choice. Not sure what those run in Canada though -- Samsung has a high opinion of their hardware. EDIT: Looks like a Tab A 9.7 is ~$500 CAD at NCIX.

Sticking with a 10" or willing to go smaller? The Nvidia Shield tablet (8") is a very good deal at $200, still very capable, though I hear there is a new version around the corner. Add $40 for the magnetic close cover/stand, $20 if you want a stylus (very accurate, lots of pressure levels, good for drawing), $60 for the Shield controller if you want to game on it. If you have a PC with a recent Nvidia GPU it also supports game streaming. EDIT: Shield is $280 CAD at NCIX and currently backordered.

I'm personally fond of the Nokia N1, but it's hard to get here in North America.

Last edited:
Nothing major, Bejeweled, candy crush, the usual chic games ;). I have ordered several times from U.S sites and not been "raped" on import taxes so it could be an option, last resort if need be, pretty sad the price difference between US and Canada, I really feel for those across the pond now!

I'd say go Shield Tablet, regardless. It's the most powerful by a large margin at its price point (and most others), has the option of the nice magnetic soft on/off case, stylus, and all that. She'll get good performance, and you can use it for game streaming if you feel like it.

You can even get an LTE compatible version if you're willing to pay a bit more and look around a little.

Unless 8" is too small I'm convinced it's the way to go.

If 8" is too small, the Galaxy Tab A / S / S2 would be it, but it's nearly 2x the cost.

Kindle HDX would be another option, though I think they're getting a little long in the tooth and any apps not on the Amazon store (as HeavensCloud brought up) would have to be sideloaded, which is kind of a pain.

Last edited:
Check the Amazon App store to make sure the apps she uses are available before you go that route. They don't have nearly as much available as the Play store does. You can get Google Play on Kindles usually, but just an fyi.

1280x800 is pretty nasty, but otherwise, for the price, that thing doesn't look half bad.

I think I'd rather deal with Android on a weak processor though.

My current favorite budget tablet is the Chuwi Hi8. Dual boots Win10 and Android, very snappy, HDXC support, only $100 when Amazon has it in stock. The 1920 x 1200 IPS screen is beautiful. Only downside is the weak speaker, but I use headphones if I'm watching something on it anyways.

I'm in love with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. Super AMOLED screen is superb for reading and streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc., micro SD capable, plenty of RAM, thin and light build. I have the 8", but it comes in 9.7" size, too. I paid $300 on eBay for a new/sealed black S2, $50 for a 128GB Evo SD card, $14 for a nice magnetic smart case back in January.

Last edited:
personally I would get an x86 tablet, I would not get any arm based one as even the weakest atom is still pretty fast and gives more than respectable battery life. My tablet of choice is my dell Venue 11 Pro with an i5

Well, the sister decided to pitch in (for all of it!!!!) and go the Samsung S2....wife is loving it so far, loves how much faster it is than her old one..and dam it is light....

Any recommendations now for good cases?

needing help with an older HP touchpad with no webos and its stuck at the activation screen since the servers are no longer exist. Can anyone help besides me trying to figure out how to use the no activation tools tutorials i'm seeing online right now? the webos doctor is no longer available online.

needing help with an older HP touchpad with no webos and its stuck at the activation screen since the servers are no longer exist. Can anyone help besides me trying to figure out how to use the no activation tools tutorials i'm seeing online right now? the webos doctor is no longer available online.

WebOS is dead, but you can put Android on it.

Shut it down completely. Hold Vol+ and the Power button until you see a USB icon on the screen. You are now in the Touchpad's recovery bootloader. From here, you can flash the tablet to Android using any one of a number of online tutorials.

WebOS is dead, but you can put Android on it.

Shut it down completely. Hold Vol+ and the Power button until you see a USB icon on the screen. You are now in the Touchpad's recovery bootloader. From here, you can flash the tablet to Android using any one of a number of online tutorials.

Already have done that. My pc is not recognizing it.

Back