Tablet for a quadriplegic student

hound

2[H]4U
A student of a friend is quadriplegic and is looking for a new tablet (her current one is a first gen iPad; she's working on getting her BA). I am not super up on what's out there in the tablet world, or what would work for someone with major limitations to their dexterity.

Her major interests are in reading, writing, and editing documents (pdfs are a big part of her reading). She cannot really type on a true keyboard, she basically uses the side of her palm to swipe the screen. For typing she uses her knuckles—mainly her outermost knuckle since its on the far side (so she has some limited arm/wrist mobility, but no real manual dexterity).

If possible, she'd like to be able to write and have an ebook or PDF open at the same time on the screen. I am not sure if any device is currently capable of that.

Her budget is $1000. I, and she, will appreciate any suggestions.

My little brother is a C6-7 quad with limited hand use. I bought him an iPad Air 2 and he loves it. I also got a case with a cover that wakes up/sleeps the tablet when he opens/closes the cover.

Here's the one I got for him: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-air-2/128gb-space-gray-wifi

I opted for a SquareTrade warranty instead of extended AppleCare. SQ covers accidents like drops or spilling a can of Pepsi all over the tablet.

Nuance's Dragon Dictation 2.0 is a really useful tool for him to e-mail, web browse, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
My little brother is a C6-7 quad with limited hand use. I bought him an iPad Air 2 and he loves it. I also got a case with a cover that wakes up/sleeps the tablet when he opens/closes the cover.

Here's the one I got for him: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-air-2/128gb-space-gray-wifi

I opted for a SquareTrade warranty instead of extended AppleCare. SQ covers accidents like drops or spilling a can of Pepsi all over the tablet.

Nuance's Dragon Dictation 2.0 is a really useful tool for him to e-mail, web browse, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, and that's a good point on the warranty--I imagine the risk of dropping/knocking the tablet off of things increases when you can't really hold on to it.

IPad air or surface pro I'd imagine would be perfect. Both have excellent build quality and their dictation software support has been excellent.

If possible, she'd like to be able to write and have an ebook or PDF open at the same time on the screen. I am not sure if any device is currently capable of that.

iOS 9 will add splitscreen multitasking. I assume sticking with familiarity and what works might be a bonus so the latest iPad Air 2?

If she wanted something larger there is also the persistent rumor of an iPad Pro.

The other rumor going on is that Apple will being implmentating "force touch" with next gen products. Not sure if that would be a bonus or not or worth waiting for.

Thanks everyone, going to rec the iPad Air 2 and that dictation software for her needs.

iOS 9 will add splitscreen multitasking. I assume sticking with familiarity and what works might be a bonus so the latest iPad Air 2?

If she wanted something larger there is also the persistent rumor of an iPad Pro.

The other rumor going on is that Apple will being implmentating "force touch" with next gen products. Not sure if that would be a bonus or not or worth waiting for.

What is this "force touch"?

Thanks everyone, going to rec the iPad Air 2 and that dictation software for her needs.
I think she'll be very happy with it.

It's Apple's new trackpad on their MacBook Pro retina line. Basically, you no longer physically press and click the pad. You tap on it with varying degrees of pressure to click, click and drag, scroll, etc. I like it. The same feature is expected for the Home button on the next round of iPhones and iPads.

I'll expand a bit. Basically the idea is to accept "pressure" (different than duration, eg. long touch) as an additonal read for input.

It is currently implementated in the new Macbook trackpads as well as the iWatch's touchscreen. There are rumors Apple will begin implementating in future products as well.

Back