TAAT for 3rd place

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
Since we are building relationships with TAAT and we are currently leading league 2, I was wondering if the team would be interested in trying to bump them to 3rd place in League 1. Right now it looks like XS has pulled back their efforts and are slipping a bit. TAAT doesn't have points in several projects and has a lot of room to move. They are about 91 points from 3rd as I type this. Some of the projects probably wouldn't take that much of a boost on.

Thoughts?

For example, we are waaaaaay in the lead for BURP in League 2. At this point we can continue to draw work units away from XS there and put those towards helping TAAT. The same for Xansons.

My initial impresssion is that I'd only want to do this on those low CPU usage projects projects that we are a good ways ahead of XS in, and that are difficult to get WUs. I'd prefer my overall CPU useage going to projects that we need to get ahead in.

I'm interested in further discussion of which projects you are thinking of specifically.

ChelseOilman, Xansons is on our list of projects everyone should be hammering because they only have work in batches and goes quick. Phoenicis added it on post 5 - https://hardforum.com/threads/everyone-needs-to-do-this.1964900/

This is why it doesn't matter if we help TAAT in those instances because we have such a lead XS cannot catch us. Keep in mind we are down to less than 3 months and the team will probably be heavily invested in WCG during the Birthday Challenge in November and possibly for the X-mas Challenge throughout December.

I understand the strategy and thought behind this idea, but I personally hate the idea of crunching for another team - even if they aren't in our league. That's just my gut reaction, though. I'll need to mull it over...

I highly doubt XS is slipping or slacking. more like sneaking some extra big bunkers for the remaining sprints.

Edit. I do support bumping them in sprints that we have clear path to victory in. especially like last time where XS helped push SUSA past them.

I don't think we have the processing power to help TAAT.

XS hasn't pulled anything back. They're currently doing nearly half a million points on WEP right now which is generally a low scoring project.

Stupid WEP.... Hard-headed admin only allows a Linux app... Idiot.

Yes, I know I should be running Linux, but I am stubborn and generally like Windows, and I know it well. Linux... not so much.

That and another mathematician already debunked his theorem.....

I understand the strategy and thought behind this idea, but I personally hate the idea of crunching for another team - even if they aren't in our league. That's just my gut reaction, though. I'll need to mull it over...

I don't typically like the idea either. However, this year there has been a lot of people doing it and using it as a tactic. Figured I would bring it up while there was still time. I honestly haven't crunched the numbers to see if it is even feasible as it is a lot of points in a small period of time to accomplish while holding our own.

Edited for sensitive information.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-11-20-43-40.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-11-20-43-40.png
    534.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In principle, I like this idea. In fact I like most ideas that still get the science done whilst keeping crunching fun.

They're great guys at TAAT and deserve some assistance where possible. I'll keep looking for opportunities to help that won't jeopardise our own position too much.

Back