t6600 vs. i3 330m (C2D v. i3)

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
So im planning on getting a laptop for my parents. Nothing too simple, they just watch movies, surf the web, do tax stuff, word, speadsheet, ect.

Im trying to keep the laptop to <~$700 and i've been looking at the Dell Studio 14s. Anyways, i ran into a configuration, one with the t6600 and one with the 330m. As i understand, the 330m has hyperthreading, so it gives 2 physical cores, 2 logicals. Thats 4 cores, but some programs and such do not support hyperthreading. What i want to know is, Is hyperthreading widely supported in major programs yet? Is there any other reason to chose the 330m besides that fact that its 32nm and newer?

Also, side question: How does a 8-cell compare to a 9-cell. Its just one less cell, so does that configure to that much more of a battery-life?

Get the i3.

It's newer and will run cooler and is more power efficient. No point in geting old tech.

8 cell will have about 30-45 min less battery life than the 9 cell assuming same hardware and most efficient power settings.

The overall windows experience will be significantly faster and snappier using the i3. Everything will be more seemless.

Plus as already mentioned, cooler running and better battery life.

Back