T42 Questions (alternatives?)

PhreakPhy

Limp Gawd
I am planing on geting the IBM T24 I am wanting to spend around $2600 but I am flexable. I think that I have made a good deciscion but I would like some feedback from owners, or sugestions of posable alternatives.

I want something that is light enough to cary around campus every day, good battery life, and enough power for moderate gaming.

Any sugestions? Or have I picked the best choice?

[edit]

the P model is also an option, but I dont think i will need that mych power on my laptop when I will have my desktop in my dorm too.

Or... Should I down grade even more and just spend my money elsewhere?

Or is there something coming out soon that I should wait for?

Realize that the T42 15" screen is not the best for gaming (60ms) due to ghosting. However, for games that aren't lightning fast, it should be okay.

If you want something lighter, you might consider the 14.1" display version. It's lighter and thinner...and cheaper. Also, if you don't need the extra 1MB of L2 cache, you could consider a T41 which you might get a better deal on right now.

My T42 (2379DXU) is scheduled to arrive today :D I'll know more after that. I went with the T42 (instead of the T41) because...I just wanted the latest.

Also, if you want to save a little cash, look at www.thinkpads.com for some more info about them and the guy is a certified reseller for IBM. Check the forums there as well.

i recieved my T42 (2374-3VU) 2 days ago, and i couldnt be any happier with it, i got the 14" since i didnt want the added size of the 15. everything on it is perfect, its built like a tank and runs like a champ. if you really feel youre gonna need the added screen size then go with the 15" but if you want a little more portability and better battery life then the 14" is perfect.

did either of you buy from thinkpads.com? how was your esperiance?

Do you know if the IBM 3 year warenty has the "Oh Shit!" warenty included?

[edit]

also its not that I want the extra inch of screen, I am more concerned with the extra 32 megs of video card.

I just picked up a T41p (2373 GEU) for 2400 after tax and shipping using my school discount, I would look into that if I were you

Just ordered my custom T42p Woohoo!!! It should be here in a little over a month. I cant belive how long it takes to have one built. Grrr... Good thing Im ordering it before i need it.

PhreakPhy said:
Just ordered my custom T42p Woohoo!!! It should be here in a little over a month. I cant belive how long it takes to have one built. Grrr... Good thing Im ordering it before i need it.

it wont take that long, they always say itll take over a month but it usually takes 2-3 weeks

PhreakPhy said:
did either of you buy from thinkpads.com? how was your esperiance?

Do you know if the IBM 3 year warenty has the "Oh Shit!" warenty included?

[edit]

also its not that I want the extra inch of screen, I am more concerned with the extra 32 megs of video card.

no, the 3 year doesnt have the Oh Shit warrenty, and Bill from thinkpads.com is very reliable, ive talked with him on the phone a few times and taked with many others that have ordered from him

Yea, Bill is a cool guy.

It usually doesn't take long to get your Thinkpad. I believe the only exception is when you order RIGHT when they come out, like I did for my X40 back in March. I didn't get it till early April.

PhreakPhy said:
Like it was said, it won't take that long

I got an email on Monday saying my T42 would not arrive for at least 3 weeks because it was backordered. Then on Tuesday, I got an email saying it had shipped.

Right now, I'm sitting on my back porch typing this post on my new T42 15" computer and am loving it. :D

I got mine direct from IBM because I found a killer discount. Not exactly the most ethical discount but it probably saved me close to a G. Here are the specs.

1.8 Ghz Pentium M
60 GB 7200 rpm HD
Gig of ram
9 cell battery
intel pro 220 B/G wifi
Xp Pro
CD/DVD burner
3 year warrenty
128 mb fire GL
slim bay floppy drive

all that for under $2800 shiped

killer deal or what?

PhreakPhy said:
I got mine direct from IBM because I found a killer discount. Not exactly the most ethical discount but it probably saved me close to a G. Here are the specs.

1.8 Ghz Pentium M
60 GB 7200 rpm HD
Gig of ram
9 cell battery
intel pro 220 B/G wifi
Xp Pro
CD/DVD burner
3 year warrenty
128 mb fire GL
slim bay floppy drive

killer deal or what?

real good, one of the better ones i've seen. Not the best though. Do explain how u got it though, i'm looking for a thinkpad t42 myself

PhreakPhy said:

1.8 Ghz Pentium M
60 GB 7200 rpm HD
Gig of ram
9 cell battery
intel pro 220 B/G wifi
Xp Pro
CD/DVD burner
3 year warrenty
128 mb fire GL
slim bay floppy drive

killer deal or what?

im assuming thats a 15"?

i didnt want the added size of the 15" so i got the 14", couldnt be any happier.

1.7GHz Dothan P-M
512MB RAM (upgrading to 1GB next month)
80GB 5400RPM
Standard 6 Cell Battery (buying 9 cell before i start school so i have approx 9.5 hours of battery between the 2)
64MB Mobility 9600
CD/DVD Burner
XP Pro
3 Year On Site 9x5 Next Day Warrenty

~$2100 w/ student discount

Not too impressed with the $2800 price. Here is a better deal I found on another schools website.

- IBM ThinkPad T42p 2373
- Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz
- RAM 512 MB
- HD 80 GB
- DVD-R
- Mdm
- LAN EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, 802.11b, 802.11g
- Win XP Pro
- 15" TFT Web Price
$3,449.00

Your Price
$2,276.34

it does have the firegl as well and a 3 year warranty. Not sure how many cells the battery is though.

now if you want something cheaper they also have

IBM ThinkPad T42 2373
- Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz
- RAM 512 MB
- HD 40 GB
- CD-RW / DVD
- Mdm
- Win XP Pro
- 15" TFT Web Price
$2,649.00

Your Price
$1,748.34

only has 64mb radeon 9600 though.

or a more expensive one

IBM ThinkPad T42p 2374
- Pentium M 745 1.8 GHz
- RAM 512 MB
- HD 80 GB
- CD-RW / DVD-R
- Mdm
- Win XP Pro
- 15" TFT Web Price
$3,549.00

Your Price
$2,342.34

now this one says it has a 6600mah battery, i think that means high capacity, not sure. Had 128mb firegl as well.

PM me if you guys want links to these systems. They also have t41's, x40's, etc for cheap.

how do u buy it off those schools website, everytime i click add to cart and then go to my card and click on checkout nothing happens

well i was generally getting the impression that those guys were finding a way around that. its not a huge deal to me, cuz i can get a really nice T42 (about 25% off) through my friend who goes to duke, but i'm still interested to see if there are some other nice deals out there

Im not exactly a student there. ;) I didnt do anything special other than finding the link, and nowhere in the licance agreement did I read that the offer was exclusive to students, even if it was implyed or intended that way, nowhere did I have to state that I was infact a student of that school. so try doing it diferantly if posible. I saved about $1400 on the deal so I am quite happy. I cant wait untill it gets here.

and these are up to 36% off.

shure did. Tho IBM's site is quite slow, probably due to tons of traffic. I often needed to hit stop, and refresh. But other than that I had zero problems.

You don't have to be a student at that particular university to order through them. They don't check your student id or anything like that. They honestly don't care if a few people who aren't really students at that school order.

NugeRules said:
Realize that the T42 15" screen is not the best for gaming (60ms) due to ghosting.
So, which laptops have "good" gaming screens? Or do any?

Well I still have time to cancel my order, would you suggest the 14 inch over the 15. Peaole say stuff like "I didn't want the extra sixe of the 15 inch" but how much larger could it realy be?

Is ther qualtiy of the 14 inch better than that of the 15 inch?

PhreakPhy said:
Well I still have time to cancel my order, would you suggest the 14 inch over the 15. Peaole say stuff like "I didn't want the extra sixe of the 15 inch" but how much larger could it realy be?

Is ther qualtiy of the 14 inch better than that of the 15 inch?

i dunno, the 14" just looks much smaller when put next to the 15", i personally wanted a smaller lappy, so the 14" was the best choice

cair0 said:
nope, it only comes with the 15"

do some research first

look up the following models

2373-GVU
2373-GUU
2373-GTU
2373-GRU
2373-KTU
2373-KUU

those are all 14" T42p models with the FireGL T2

Got it yesterday. It's great.

With 3DMark03 I got 2560 3D marks. How is that?

This is with the default ocnfiguration. If I use a diferant configuration will I have better performance? What config should I use?

Or would I gain more from downloading the latest catlyist?

PhreakPhy said:
would anyone care to help?

ill let you know this weekend, im currently using the stock setup, ill run a test of 3dmark before i format, but this weekend im doing a fresh install using the new Omega drivers on my T42, seeing that these are older drivers on here and the Omegas are optimized, im assuming there should be a noticable increase.

I'm so close to ordering a t42p using a college other than mine's discount ~41% for their prebuilt model (not one of the express or "normal" education configs), and it is a 1.7/512/60gb 7.2k/128 firegl t2/a b g wireless/bluetooth/etc.... for $1905, leaving me plenty of room to upgrade before I go broke at school.

ps. CyberCRAP where in SA do you live? I just graduated HS (Clark) and am working at a lab in M.D. Anderson in Houston for the summer.

inc said:
I'm so close to ordering a t42p using a college other than mine's discount ~41% for their prebuilt model (not one of the express or "normal" education configs), and it is a 1.7/512/60gb 7.2k/128 firegl t2/a b g wireless/bluetooth/etc.... for $1905, leaving me plenty of room to upgrade before I go broke at school.

ps. CyberCRAP where in SA do you live? I just graduated HS (Clark) and am working at a lab in M.D. Anderson in Houston for the summer.

Yep i graduated from clark as well back in 99. I'm currently in santa clara working for intel over the summer. I'm a graduate electrical engineering student at UTSA, got my bachelors at UT austin.

did you guys ever get your T42(p)s?? no problems with ordering from that wright state univ. school for the discount (ie: you got the t42 with no problems)??

thanks

Back