T400s

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
New T series thinkpad apparently, as brought to you by engadget

gah, I'm really upset that lenovo messed with the thinkpad keyboard. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well...we'll see how this ends up--at least we're only losing the oft-unused 'insert' key. Had they moved my 'home' and 'end' keys, I'd have really blown my lid.

:mad:

... in other news, the computer is relatively thin and light at 0.83-in and sub-4lb.

i would have liked this if only it came with a 2.5" drive, but 1.8 sort of ruins it for me, that and the price.

guess my t400 will have to do.

I am very seriously considering this or the X200s to compliment my current Laptop solution.

It is MUCH easier to wield either of these to and from business meetings. The 17" would stay at the desk while I go to meetings with the smaller laptop. It's only purpose is for meetings. The 17" would handle any heavy processing. Given that there is only (at least for me) a couple of hundred dollars in difference, it will be difficult to make a final decision. The X200s is right now the front runner due to its small size and weight.

capreppy: Have you considered a tablet? An x200 tablet might be more useful for meetings than a traditional laptop.

I did consider the tablet. Actually having looked at it again, the discounted price I would be paying has gone done significantly since I looked on Saturday and may actually be back in the running.

At the price I'm seeing, I might have to buy my wife one for an early Christmas present!!! :D

If it's between the x200s and the t400s, I'd say go with the x200s. Now if lenovo decided to put discrete graphics in the t400s it would be a different story...

I agree with g1tigi, without discrete graphics or at least nvidia 9400m the T400s isn't that tempting.

If the optical drive will support an ultrabay hdd adapter, then that could make it more tempting than the X200s, simply because I like my ability to have an SSD and a large harddrive without the need for a docking station.

But, yeah, an X200s w/ WXGA+ would generally be a better buy.

I thought the T400 came with an option for a discrete graphics card, the ATI 3470...

I thought the T400 came with an option for a discrete graphics card, the ATI 3470...

the t400 does
the t400s does not
this thread is about the t400s

you won't see a t400s with a discrete graphics card - takes up too much space and generates too much heat for the small chassis
the t400s isn't targeted at users who want a discrete graphics card
they have other models for those people

I'm pretty disappointed in this one from Lenovo, considering the price. It's just too basic for $1600, it really is. I mean, I dread the potential of buying a Mac (just because I'd prefer not to put money in Apple's coffers) but geez... the 13.3" MBP (the new one) stomps this T400S to shreds... and believe me, that's a lot to say these days...

I don't know what the hell Lenovo is thinking but, I'd buy a Dell Latitude maxed out with discrete graphics for for a helluvalot less than this outing. And the 1.8" drive, I mean really. Haven't seen those in ThinkPads for a few years now (and I have an X41t that uses the same size drive), so, what the hell, Lenovo...??!?!?!

Just can't figure out what "hole" the T400S is supposed to be filling... It's $700-800 worth of hardware, for twice the price... not making much sense.

I'm pretty disappointed in this one from Lenovo, considering the price. It's just too basic for $1600, it really is. I mean, I dread the potential of buying a Mac (just because I'd prefer not to put money in Apple's coffers) but geez... the 13.3" MBP (the new one) stomps this T400S to shreds... and believe me, that's a lot to say these days...

I don't know what the hell Lenovo is thinking but, I'd buy a Dell Latitude maxed out with discrete graphics for for a helluvalot less than this outing. And the 1.8" drive, I mean really. Haven't seen those in ThinkPads for a few years now (and I have an X41t that uses the same size drive), so, what the hell, Lenovo...??!?!?!

Just can't figure out what "hole" the T400S is supposed to be filling... It's $700-800 worth of hardware, for twice the price... not making much sense.

t400s = t400 (integrated graphics) hardware in a smaller size
you get some other goodies, too, but that's the long and short of it
so t400s price premium is due to the reduced size
and it is meant for people who are willing to pay that extra amount for the reduced size

price aside (i agree it is spennnnnnndy)
i think the t400s looks pretty nice if you like the t400 and don't use your laptop for gaming
you get thinkpad durability and build quality
amazing keyboard
new multitouch touchpad
specced appropriately, you can get a t400s that is one powerful machine
compact and light for a 14" laptop

but the price is killer for me - i can't justify that kind of expense - t400 for me!

Are we sure Lenovo designed this, or was it Apple? Or Sony? Paying more for "smaller" is their particular trade, not Lenovo... I see something like this machine and instantly come to the conclusion that: "It just ain't worth that much..."

I'm betting the high cost is only because it's so new. Price will come down with time.

New T series thinkpad apparently, as brought to you by engadget

gah, I'm really upset that lenovo messed with the thinkpad keyboard. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well...we'll see how this ends up--at least we're only losing the oft-unused 'insert' key. Had they moved my 'home' and 'end' keys, I'd have really blown my lid.

:mad:

... in other news, the computer is relatively thin and light at 0.83-in and sub-4lb.

I think that the keyboard is a boon. On top of the fact that the more important keys are larger, the gaps between the keys are smaller, which is key.

I agree through, this isn't anything major. If anything, Lenovo has gone the Apple way. Shrink it, put lower end hardware, and jack up the price. The regular T400 is a much better deal.

T400 is pretty outdated. It sells for less, but that's on sale with some coupons, etc. "Regular" price should be similar; but of course no one pays regular price due to everlasting sale...

That said, T400s looks sweeeeet. Just the graphics though. I'd like some decent Radeon there...

You're getting a 14" 1400x900 LCD, DVD-ROM, touchpad, and a decent processor in the same weight as the 12" Pentium 3 X30 and Pentium M X31 I had back in 2004.

You're getting a lot of power, at roughly 70% the weight of a standard T400. Yes, it's on the verge of being prohibitively expensive, and I certainly would have preferred a 2.5" drive. I think, though, that this was marketed wrong. This isn't a T400s, this is an X400. If they'd have released it under that moniker, everyone would be happy.

You're getting a 14" 1400x900 LCD, DVD-ROM, touchpad, and a decent processor in the same weight as the 12" Pentium 3 X30 and Pentium M X31 I had back in 2004.

You're getting a lot of power, at roughly 70% the weight of a standard T400. Yes, it's on the verge of being prohibitively expensive, and I certainly would have preferred a 2.5" drive. I think, though, that this was marketed wrong. This isn't a T400s, this is an X400. If they'd have released it under that moniker, everyone would be happy.

I have to agree that if this was an X400, the correct expectations would have been set. I am very seriously considering this or the X200s. I get a pretty heft discount thru one of my clients and the price difference is almost negligible.

I am pretty impressed with the specs of this machine.

Back