T110 II & ESXi: again :)

balnazzar

Weaksauce
I'm thinking to buy this cheap server to replace my actual i3-based ESXi machine wich hasn't VT-d.

Now, I have just 4 precise answers:

1. Will T110-II support VT-d out of the box with 5.1??

2. Has anyone mesured power draw al wall both in idle and under load? I'm interested particularly to e3-1220v2 version.

3. One of guests will be a HTPC: will ESXi support video card passthru on this machine, and media acceleration?

4. And, speaking of video card passthru, I do some cuda development. Will I have full access to graphics card through guests?

Thanks!

1) can't answer for certain, I don't use passthrough, but it does give me the option to pass through the sata controllers, nics and graphics on 5.0

2) I did, but I can't recall what it was (with a 1230, not v2), but it was not high. Idle was something in the low 100 watt range with multiple drives & a raid controller. a v2 should be lower still.

3) again no passthrough configured on mine, but it does give me the option to passthrough the built-in matrox video.

4) You will not be able to use the video card on all guests, unless you have a dev card. Then you can use the graphic card in the different guests. I am not sure on pass through, but I believe it will, but only for the one guest its tied to.
A graphic card like this would work for the guests. Link
And there is a hack that can make Consumer cards act like professional ones. I even think there is a thread in here about someone making an ESXi Gaming host. Check that out for graphic card questions.

4) You will not be able to use the video card on all guests, unless you have a dev card. Then you can use the graphic card in the different guests. I am not sure on pass through, but I believe it will, but only for the one guest its tied to.
A graphic card like this would work for the guests. Link
And there is a hack that can make Consumer cards act like professional ones. I even think there is a thread in here about someone making an ESXi Gaming host. Check that out for graphic card questions.

Very valuable advice and link. Thanks. I'm starting to think that for video card passthru, Xen should be better... What do you think? :confused:

Back