T1 Turnout Today!! Finally!

ToddW2

2[H]4U
So, today my T1 is getting activated.

Can't wait to have a "grounded" connection again :D

Anything I should be aware of for this call?
How long it should last?
What will they want me to do?

Hopefully I configured the router Serial / WAN port properly :D

Last edited:

ToddW2

2[H]4U
I`m starting to think people randomly find their way into Networking & Security and can't help themselves but make comments ignorantly ;) I could understand with 1 or 2 threads, but I think I`m pushing 5 now, and I`m not going into it again :p

Database - Well each thread has gotten NEW replies from DIFFERENT people.
So, I'd say the different threads for specifics has really helped the response rate.

It's not like this forum here is over populated with trending hot topics daily ;) either way.

Nicklebon

Gawd
Assuming everything works test and turn up will be short and sweet. I expect no more than 15 min. Did you get a dual stack v4/v6 circuit?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought this was someone else getting a T1! I felt left out, I wanted one for so long as a kid until I finally got off dial up that a part of me still wants one today even though its slow as balls

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Well it took all of 11 minutes.

And that was just waiting for them to do it, once he said give it a try I pinged some domains and IPs from within router console and it worked perfect.

Next up figuring out how to get my LAN to work, as it's not giving me any internet access.

D

Deleted member 88227

Nice. I bet you are excited about it. I gave up on the T1 and it just so happens my local Cable Company is redoing their Internet plans.

50Mbps w/ 300GB plan for $50
60Mbps w/ 400GB plan for $75
70Mbps w/ 500GB plan for $100

All three have a 2Mbps upload connection and supposedly they will no longer charge for overages, instead they will ask you to get the next tier until you get to the highest one, but only if it becomes a pattern of data overage.

I intend to go with the 50Mbps w/ 300GB only because I am losing my 10Mbps unlimited plan, they're giving it a 300GB cap too and since I pay $53 a month for it, I'll save $3 and get a much, much faster download and double upload speeds in the process.

robvas

Gawd
I thought this was someone else getting a T1! I felt left out, I wanted one for so long as a kid until I finally got off dial up that a part of me still wants one today even though its slow as balls

We have 2 bonded together, it's still slow as balls ;)

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
Wait, this post isn't 10 years old? No amount of T1's are good. You can have 8 of them and your connection will still be mediocre at best. Nobody should be buying T1s anymore. That should have ended long ago. They should not even be offered anymore.

We have 4 at work, and our connection sucks. One download (say a service pack or whatever) can mess up a bunch of stuff. And we're not a large shop.

Sorry to be all negative, but I've been pushing for a fractional T3 (I've been suggesting 15Mbps as I don't feel we need a full 45Mbps T3) here for a while.

Last edited:

wizdum

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe this guy lives in Africa, and all they have is T1?

Or the US, because we're still trying to figure out that capitalism thing. Congrats to the OP on hopefully getting a stable connection finally.

I wouldn't touch T1 at all in my area, even if it was the only thing available. The copper is so old that the insulation is all hanging off or already fallen off and littering the road. The ISP that owns the copper has been bailed out of bankruptcy twice by the state. I'm not sure where they are spending all their cash, but it sure isn't going into the infrastructure. Half the electrical wires are still using the old glass insulators as well. They can't even use the "rural area" spiel because this is the second largest "city" in my state.

WesM63

2[H]4U
Oh lord, this thread is hilarious. It's not the fact the OP is getting a T1, but the replies...

Nothing wrong with a T1. Carrier grade service with a real accountable SLA is nothing to sneeze at.

Turn up's don't take to horribly long providing the carrier doesn't have any issues on their end. (15-30mins)

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I would not mind a T1, for the faster upload. Though what I'd REALLY love is fibre, like an OC3 or something. :D

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Oh lord, this thread is hilarious. It's not the fact the OP is getting a T1, but the replies...

Nothing wrong with a T1. Carrier grade service with a real accountable SLA is nothing to sneeze at.

Turn up's don't take to horribly long providing the carrier doesn't have any issues on their end. (15-30mins)

Someone gets it ;)

I've been really burning the lines in today :D

I am crossing my fingers for this time next year 4xT1 bonded :) :)

Metraon

Limp Gawd
Someone gets it ;)

What is gonna be the monthly fee for 4xT1 bonded ? Grats on the T1, like I said on another thread, you defended your case well.

I consult in various remote locations and I understand the pain of having no choice.

ToddW2

2[H]4U
I'm really impressed with the Unifi high-gain AP too. I have a SINGLE one installed upside down (ie: sitting on a table) in my mud room (side of house, completely closed off) and I can max out the T1 from my office 100+ ft away in a separate building, and can max it out on the opposite side of the house, upstairs from my bedroom (though it's aiming up this way). I have 2 more of these guys to use but it looks like I may just use them for sep. networks or not at all!

I haven't looked into the price yet, but based on what a single cost, what a dual was quoted, and what adding 2 more would do for a discount I'd put it right around 1100-1250.

Nicklebon

Gawd
Someone gets it ;)

Can ATT not deliver a DS3 to your location? Usually anything over 2x T1 the economics works out much better for a fractional T3.

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
I would not mind a T1, for the faster upload. Though what I'd REALLY love is fibre, like an OC3 or something. :D

...What kind of connection do you have for your upstream to be < 1.54Mbps? Even with cable modem, I've had equal to or better than that for like 10 years now. Significantly better for probably 4-5 years at least. I have FIOS now and the CHEAPEST internet option they give me nearly matches 4 bonded T1s in upstream capability (5Mbps vs. ~6Mbps)

D

Deleted member 88227

...What kind of connection do you have for your upstream to be < 1.54Mbps?

Not all connections, even broadband connections, have that much upload. I only have a 1Mbps upload for now.

Getting a 2Mbps upload in a week or so however. :D

Though with a T1, you can host whatever you want, on a residential connection such as Cable, not so much.

swatbat

[H]F Junkie

In this day and age I'd rather avoid the t1 for data if I could help it but if you can't do better you can't do better. I have 10 or 15 still in service at clients with many of them being in area's that you don't have other options. With this going in a home though at least it will not be as bad. With the offices we have them in they might have 10 plus people on one of them(or two).

OP enjoy your t1 once you get your router setup right.

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Slightly off on a tangent....

got a quote last night, more for a laugh than anything else, on a 100Mb leased line to my home property, and my lord did I laugh!?!?

£900 ($1400US) set up fee and a smudge over £702 ($1091US) per calendar month!

I`ll stick with my 60/3 for now!:(

wizdum

[H]ard|Gawd

got a quote last night, more for a laugh than anything else, on a 100Mb leased line to my home property, and my lord did I laugh!?!?

Best quote I have received so far is $2500 per month for 100Mb fiber. Thats with zero set up fee since the lines already go past my house. I'd jump on a $1091 per month charge in a second.

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie

we're paying $800/mo for our 50/50 internet connection to feed our metroE system at work

i think $1400/mo for our 150/150 metroE aggregation site's connection....

thankfully we get reimbursed for like 80% of that cost :p

kind of makes me want to double the speeds of everything, lol

ToddW2

2[H]4U

Wish I could get that much bandwidth for that price :D

swatbat
I had a talk about the new T1 with the wife already, no streaming videos or downloading anything while I`m working. Hopefully when I have time to configure bandwidth on the router/firewall I can fix that.

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Why not a OC48 while you're at it :D

Good point. :D I'd do anything for that kind of connection. Sucks being stuck with 8/1 and no other options. And 8 is more like 6. The DSLAM is actually in this building, I need to check which one I'm on and see if these things can overclock. :p

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Good point. :D I'd do anything for that kind of connection. Sucks being stuck with 8/1 and no other options. And 8 is more like 6. The DSLAM is actually in this building, I need to check which one I'm on and see if these things can overclock. :p

I feel so sorry for you ;)

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Wow!

I am quite surprised to see how many people would willingly pay almost $1100/month for a residential connection.

Granted you guys "over there" do much more with your connections such as hosting but $1100!?!? On top of what you pay to run the equipment/servers.

That quote was indeed 100/100 fibre, and I like to download and stream as much as the next guy, I have a vpn running for all our mobile clients but there is no way I could justify $1100 (£700) per month just for the connection.

I would love virgin media to get their fingers out or their arses and boost my upstream speed as they have been promising to do for soooo long now. Its not so long ago we were stuck on 768Kb/s upstream then that was lifted to 1.5Mb/s and now we're on 3Mb/s, we actually only see 2.7-2.8Mb/s of it but even that doesn't cut it any more.

BT infinity and infinity2 are creeping into our area as I type, I see fibre guys pulling between cabinets And back to the exchange quite frequently, and just the other day I saw the splicers there too... infinity 2 offers up to 80/20 and I hear people regularly get 76/16 out of it..... and its cheaper than my current service with no traffic management!

I dunno, you guys complaining about your 20, 30 and 40 Mb/s upstreams make me sick! :D

It's only jealousy, learn to recognise it!;):D

Oh, I'd just like to add, that there is a guy Guy we are currently working with on a project who has, at most, a 3-3.5Mb/s adsl connection even the weather affects it.... in 2013... he lives in quite a rural area and that's the best he can get. He and his family have to budget who does what and when online. If Anyone is gaming online, no one else can use the connection, they frequently get hit with a huge bill for going over their quota and a simple download is something that needs to scheduled, getting hold of a ISO from somewhere takes around a week, YouTube, yeah right! That constantly buffers on the lowest resolution setting. When I compare my situation to his, I don't feel so bad..

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
with 100/100 you could make up the cost from hosting. thats what I'd do
if i had access to that.:D

D

Deleted member 88227

with 100/100 you could make up the cost from hosting. thats what I'd do
if i had access to that.:D

More to hosting than just having a fast connection. Just to touch the surface you'll need adequate hardware (server grade hardware isn't cheap), some form of auxiliary backup (in case the grid goes down/offline) and you really one more than one big pipe (connection) to the Internet in case on fails.. otherwise, not much reason to host with you when their are others that offer that reliability for reasonable prices.

Not to mention the costs of keeping all the hardware cool, you'll also need a secured facility so just any joe can't walk in.

OK so is the op getting t1 because of no other options or ???

That is correct. He is miles away from anything, even the closest cell phone tower is a few miles away, in mountains.

Read this previous threads, you'll see this is literally his only option for any sort of "broadband" service outside of satellite.

Brak710

[H]ard|Gawd
ITT: more people come out of the woodwork to claim T1s are reliable and "business/carrier grade" in 2013.

The wires are like 50 years old. The wind blows wrong and it dies.

D

Deleted member 88227

ITT: more people come out of the woodwork to claim T1s are reliable and "business/carrier grade" in 2013.

The wires are like 50 years old. The wind blows wrong and it dies.

If the T1 goes out, then the OP doesn't have to pay for that month. So it's a win-win situation for him. As long as it's somewhat reliable, it's better than his alternatives. ;)