T-Mobile Workers Accused Of Selling Unwanted Services

HardOCP News

[H] News
There sure is a lot of this stuff happening lately. If it's not banks opening accounts in your name its computer stores scamming...errr, I mean scanning your computer for non-existent viruses. :(

The group found that some workers said they felt pressure to add insurance, phone lines and other services that customers didn’t explicitly ask for to meet sales targets and earn commission payments. The findings were based on a review of consumer complaints collected by the Federal Trade Commission, a consumer protection agency, interviews with workers and online surveys of people who identified themselves as T-Mobile employees and customers.

They've been doing this for years, retail sales with commisions leads to unethical behavior such as this. I have a friend who told me they were doing this seven years ago.

I used to work retail sales at T-Mobile and this is 100% true and its the managers fault because they pressure you into selling unwanted things. They would want me to add tablets, extra lines, useless accessories to peoples accounts even though i knew they did not need it. It was useless asking you manager for help mid sale because they would ask what the sale is and figure out a way where they can upsell them. They would say its for our benefit because we get more commission, but it was for the stores numbers. I remember when i was urged to sell this really low end no name tablet to every customer and i would get in trouble if i didnt ask because the floor leads hover around like vultures. I tried my best not to ripoff people but it was either that or lose my job. I eventually quit and took a lesser paying job because i couldnt handle the terrible ethics they taught. But as PersonalJ said, this goes for any retail sales with commission, i used to work at Sears in electronics and appliances and it was the same shit there. Thats why i dont mind going to Best Buy because they are not commissioned and the only thing they really push is a Best Buy credit card.

I used to work retail sales at T-Mobile and this is 100% true and its the managers fault because they pressure you into selling unwanted things. They would want me to add tablets, extra lines, useless accessories to peoples accounts even though i knew they did not need it. It was useless asking you manager for help mid sale because they would ask what the sale is and figure out a way where they can upsell them. They would say its for our benefit because we get more commission, but it was for the stores numbers. I remember when i was urged to sell this really low end no name tablet to every customer and i would get in trouble if i didnt ask because the floor leads hover around like vultures. I tried my best not to ripoff people but it was either that or lose my job. I eventually quit and took a lesser paying job because i couldnt handle the terrible ethics they taught. But as PersonalJ said, this goes for any retail sales with commission, i used to work at Sears in electronics and appliances and it was the same shit there. Thats why i dont mind going to Best Buy because they are not commissioned and the only thing they really push is a Best Buy credit card.

100% agree with you on this. I work for T-Mobile right now and this is something that is pushed daily. I have been with the company for over 5 years and it has only gotten really bad the pass few years. I have had a few mangers who didn't push as much as others, but there are some like my current one that push hard and hover to make sure you are. Only good thing about working for T-Mobile is the benefits and maybe your co-workers other wise everything else sucks ass.

Yea Im really pissed lately. I did the iPhone 7 upgrades for my whole family (7 lines) and once I finally got all my phones the next bill had a ton of shit I did not want, the screwed up the orders so many times. I can't believe the have the balls to charge me a fee for upgrading each phone through customer service with all the fuck ups they had, they also charged me $5 to process the order payment over the phone on top of the $20 per line I had to pay to upgrade. They waived it as a one time courtesy but I dont think I am ever buying upgrades from tmobile again. I have spent at least 4 hours trying to get things fixed and those charges removed, then the screw up the trade ins and I was one step away from just saying fuck it and leaving t mobile.

What's this? A retail company gets you in with a low price then practically shoves an upsell down your throat and doesn't clearly explain the billing terms and conditions...

Well consider me in disbelief.

When I was a Teen I made almost as much money selling shit like wiper blades and WW fluid on the Gas Pump island. That was back when there was full service. Boy, did I just date myself or what LOL

.25c a popcommision, and I was the king of this shit :)

For any old timers that may have been around in the 70's in the Reston, VA area, this was at Gills Amoco on Rt 7 in Reston. I liked Gill. The shop manager was an asshole though.

I can honestly say I was always an honest salesmen though. I never sold anyone anything they didn't need, but I was really good and pointing out what they DID need :)

I worked at one chain shop for exactly 2 days doing Lubes, brakes, front end alignments, tuneups, the usual stuffs. On the second day they showed me how to squirt oil on the shocks to sell them as 'leaking'.

I turned in my notice 10 minutes later.

Back