T-Mobile Will Identify and Block All Scam Calls

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It seems that T-Mobile has nothing but good news to share these days, and this report is no different. The phone company will be reducing unwanted calls with the help of a comprehensive, real-time database and “behavioral heuristics and intelligent scam pattern detection." Sounds like antivirus for scammers…

The company is rolling out a behind-the-scenes update called Scam ID that will automatically block calls it deems to be malicious, based on "an advanced global database of tens of thousands of known scammer numbers." The service will be rolling out to all T-Mobile One customers on an ongoing basis starting April 5, and will automatically be enabled for new customers the same day. Another service, Scam Block, doesn't even let those calls through. It blocks them at the network level, so customers don't even have to see them in the first place.

Last edited:
Another reason to switch to T-Mobile.

I usually get 2-3 scam calls a day. I have my number on the do not call list and I have a huge number of scam contacts saved in my phone with a bunch of numbers in each of them.

They just keep changing numbers.

Reporting them doesn't seem to help either.

If there are false positives you can add that number to a list on their website to remove it from the system.

Thats why I never answer the phone unless I recognize the number or caller ID.
Nearly all calls are survey or asking for money. And if I do answer and if they come off like they're asking for something. I just say not interested and hang up.

Nearly all calls are survey or asking for money. And if I do answer and if they come off like they're asking for something. I just say not interested and hang up.

I have started reporting all calls to the do not call registry. I hope they nuke them from space.

Just use apps like 'True Caller' , it has access to your contacts and creates a db from all users and if you get an unidentified call you can add it to the db.

you need to answer they phone and keep them on waiting as much as possible wasting their time an money.
one Computer repair shop i worked in we had competition between the tech who could hold those marketings people the longest on hold.
We would just every minute go back and give them a new reason to wait to "wait for the manage was available".
Waste their time and money to stop the benefits/reason they are doing it in the fist place

Last edited:
I have started reporting all calls to the do not call registry. I hope they nuke them from space.

That's about as useful as writing the number on a post-it note and sticking it to the side of your trash can.

This is news? My Android phone has had this feature for several months now. Maybe it is unique to Project-Fi?

When you block a number, you have the option to report it as spam. Only found out about it during the elections when a called showed up in Red marked as spam and was auto hung up on.

What's different now?

Oh.... and Project Fi uses Sprint, T-Mobile and American Cellular networks. Maybe they tested it on Fi first.

Hello, is this X? I have a document to deliver for you to sign, please confirm you name, address.....

End call.

If there are false positives you can add that number to a list on their website to remove it from the system.

How am I going to know to add my mom to the list, if all of her calls are blocked? Let's assume, hypothetically, I never call her, because I'm a bad son. :)

Lol. That's why you start with scam id first. So you can still receive the calls.

My Pixel notifies me when a number is spam, and after the first call I can block it if I choose. I like the proactive steps companies are finally taking.

i use the hiya caller ID & block app (use to be called white pages) on my phone which is basically the database T-mobiles going to be using so you don't have to install a 3rd party app.. the app though is great since you can read comments from other people to know exactly what the scam call is, it also blocks the stupid scam texts as well. some business numbers cough like comcast (lol) get mistakenly added on there but you can manually remove them yourself.

I haven't answered any call on my personal phone i don't know for the last 15 years. Now if they just had an algorithm that could gauge the likelihood of getting in an argument with your wife/gf based on the time and/or day of the month and filter it with -INCOMING BITCHING- we'd be getting somewhere.

Strange timing. I'm on a T-mobile MVNO and started getting spam calls last month every few days for the first time on my 10 year old line. Annoying as heck because I never had to worry about robocallers before.

This really should be something all carriers (including landline/VoIP) implement, as well as figuring out a way to tackle the spoof callers.

This will lead to false positives and lawsuits of defamation I fear. I can see them easily flagging the NPA spamming sources, but the VOIP spoofs and low volume harassers will cause problems. They won't be able to ID them on the fly, it will have to be a historical reference and at the rate numbers change, bad news. It's like a DHCP black list, an innocent will get a flagged TN.

I like how with google voice you can mark a call as spam. With most carriers, you can only report text messages by forwarding them to SPAM (7726).

Tmo has it's caller name id app preinstalled on most of it's phones and it works well. I don't owe anybody shit, and I don't want anything from anybody. If you hide your name, I don't answer.

you need to answer they phone and keep them on waiting as much as possible wasting their time an money.

I do this as well. I just hit 1 when the recording starts playing and it goes to a real person. I set the phone down and let them hang up.

I had a guy that I guess had done this before and I could here him yelling "I can play this game too!". He left the phone on for about 10 minutes before finally hanging up. He needs the phone more then I do.

Back