T-Mobile Wants to Build the First Nationwide 5G Network

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company just announced today a bold plan for rolling out 5G service as early as 2019. While it will technically be true 5G, the emphasis will not be on super speed but merely better coverage: T-Mobile’s move revolves around their recent acquisition of those lower-band radio waves, which is all about providing a better signal. Competitors are playing the game differently by focusing on high-frequency spectrum, which results in the opposite: better speeds, but reduced coverage.

The nation's third-largest carrier on Tuesday unveiled plans to build out its next-generation wireless network using the radio airwaves it just purchased in a government auction. The focus for its 5G network isn't necessarily speed, but instead broader coverage across the country. It's a surprising move given those airwaves operate on a lower band, which is great for covering long distances but won't give you tremendous speeds. The move goes against the conventional thinking about 5G, which has spurred excitement because of its ability to give you a seemingly supersonic connection to the network. Instead, T-Mobile is stressing a better signal everywhere and the ability to manage multiple devices beyond the phone.

T Mobile might be on to something. To be honest unless you are tethering your home network, you don't need 5G speeds for mobile. You're not torrenting 5 movies at the same time to your phone or downloading a new WOW install or iso image. 4G LTE is plenty fast for streaming and web when it's running at max tilt. However a consistent connection that really doesn't drop in speed might be more beneficial. My throughput is horrendous on sprint's network at home. I mean absolutely HORRIBLE. I have to rely on my wi-fi for any decent mobile coverage.

Speed is nice but better coverage is more important to me. Verizon is generally the best in our city and there a plenty of areas that have poor coverage with them.

^This. Smart move on T-mobile's part. I like them as a company, but I don't have their service... why? coverage. I'd switch to them in a second if their coverage was good in my area. In terms of a communication device reliability > speed. Yes it needs to be fast enough to be useful, but once it hits that point it's reliability all the way.

It's the same reason Verizon dominated in the 2000s/early 2010s, they had the nation wide 800 MHz block while TMo and a few others were stuck mostly playing in the 1700/1900 blocks. Now with TMo getting a TON of the new 700/800 spectrum, this is KILLER for coverage. Build it and they will come.

Exactly, I was really excited to hear of the spectrum buy, I'll take better range over flaky high speed thankyouverymuch.

The range that Tmobile just bought is in the 600MHz range and will take until 2020 to deploy, starting end of this year. 800Mhz is not a part of that deal.
What long distance/wall penetrating they have now is mostly 5Mhz in the 700a range. Works well where they only had 1900 before, but on that band the 5Mhz is a bit slower.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...on-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

Good video here:
http://www.tmonews.com/2017/05/t-mobile-600mhz-spectrum-transition-process/

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/05/t-mobile-5g-coverage-deploying-2019/

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

Last edited:
I find it funny that in many areas of the country, Wireless is faster then Wired internet service. Probably cheaper too.

Hmmm...wonder if there's a market to hook desktop PCs up to Wireless (4G/5G) at an affordable rate...

I find it funny that in many areas of the country, Wireless is faster then Wired internet service. Probably cheaper too.

Hmmm...wonder if there's a market to hook desktop PCs up to Wireless (4G/5G) at an affordable rate...

Look up Verizon Jet-Pack. But it's not cheaper than cable. Convenient? Yes. Cheaper? No.

Silly T-Mo, AT&T is already rolling out 5G!

/Something something AT&T false advertising something

Actually, now that I think about it. AT&T's "5G Evolution" is essentially T-Mobiles latest tech (4x4 Mimo, etc). So T-Mo could flip it on them and say they already have "5G Evolution" rolled out.

The issue really lies with allowing confusing marketing terms to be used. Most people don't realize that "Genuine Leather" is a marketing term for the lowest quality of leather. It's used because "Shit Leather" doesn't sell as well.

If it means I can finally travel with my TMO phone and expect it to work, that would be nice. I'm looking at buying AT&T or Verizon burner phones for my next trip to NY... TMO is a NoGo up there.

As is... TMO is good if you're in a metroplex. Go 10 miles outside of town and watch your phone slip into "emergency only" mode.

I've been a very satisfied T-Mo customer since 2010.

5G would make me :)

Better coverage would make me :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Silly T-Mo, AT&T is already rolling out 5G!

/Something something AT&T false advertising something

Actually, now that I think about it. AT&T's "5G Evolution" is essentially T-Mobiles latest tech (4x4 Mimo, etc). So T-Mo could flip it on them and say they already have "5G Evolution" rolled out.

The issue really lies with allowing confusing marketing terms to be used. Most people don't realize that "Genuine Leather" is a marketing term for the lowest quality of leather. It's used because "Shit Leather" doesn't sell as well.

I really hope that this time around they get hung out to dry trying to pull this crap. I'd bet they don't have the pull they once did to get apple to change the display on the phone from LTE to "5G". If they wanted to call this LTE-A that would be fine, but trying to market it as 5G is just plain wrong.

It's the same reason Verizon dominated in the 2000s/early 2010s, they had the nation wide 800 MHz block while TMo and a few others were stuck mostly playing in the 1700/1900 blocks. Now with TMo getting a TON of the new 700/800 spectrum, this is KILLER for coverage. Build it and they will come.

You are off by 100mhz, but we'll let it slide. Nextel had a big chunk of the 800mhz block, so Sprint would have had that at the time. Verizon does have some 850mhz spectrum that was used for EVDO, but that wasn't what they rolled out their LTE network on. Verizon deployed in 700mhz after it bought the frequencies that were previously used as TV spectrum. This time it's T-Mobile that is going to be deploying spectrum that was used for OTA previously that is in the 600mhz range. From what I've read they are going to be getting all of the gear in place ahead of time, and will turn it on as soon as they get the approval. 2019 is the earliest this will happen because OTA is still broadcasting in those frequencies right now. There is a rollout plan that the FCC has published which says when each channel in each market will have to migrate by, and TMo can't make use until this happens. Some of spectrum is in very late phases and might not even be available until 2020.

The apparently have a slide show now that shows when each phase occurs and what will be available.

The fact still remains that the phone market is completely different than it was 10 years ago. This 600mhz will be a major boon to TMo for range and building penetration, but really won't be the end all be all for high density deployments. Their current AWS spectrum, or even additional high band frequencies will be important to dense deployments. VZW is looking at purchasing more AWS because you simply can't get enough spectrum in the low bands. 20mhz is a huge swath at say 700mhz, but as we see with wifi, you can get 80mhz or even 160mhz wide channels at 5ghz. If we want to continue to see speeds go up, they will need to continue to mix in spectrum from several different bands in order to have enough spectrum to meet the requirements. 600mhz for signal, 1900 / 2100 for a solid mid band that has decent range and good speeds, and 5ghz+ for very close cell sites and maximum speed in dense areas. (Shopping malls, stadiums, Times square, etc)

Last edited:
The company just announced today a bold plan for rolling out 5G service as early as 2019. While it will technically be true 5G, the emphasis will not be on super speed but merely better coverage: T-Mobile’s move revolves around their recent acquisition of those lower-band radio waves, which is all about providing a better signal. Competitors are playing the game differently by focusing on high-frequency spectrum, which results in the opposite: better speeds, but reduced coverage.

The nation's third-largest carrier on Tuesday unveiled plans to build out its next-generation wireless network using the radio airwaves it just purchased in a government auction. The focus for its 5G network isn't necessarily speed, but instead broader coverage across the country. It's a surprising move given those airwaves operate on a lower band, which is great for covering long distances but won't give you tremendous speeds. The move goes against the conventional thinking about 5G, which has spurred excitement because of its ability to give you a seemingly supersonic connection to the network. Instead, T-Mobile is stressing a better signal everywhere and the ability to manage multiple devices beyond the phone.

Works for me.

For mobile, 14gb is fast enough already. Make it more stable to give me THAT number more often, and i'm a happy camper.

Let me be the first to call BULLSHIT on this. I work in telecoms and have done for the last 15 years. Firstly the spectrum for 5G still hasn't been ratified, nor has the air interface been locked down by 3GPP standards. Thirdly the amount of cells required is insane in comparison to '4G' - which technically ISN'T 4G unless it's LTE-A.

There simply isn't the required back-haul for 5G, There isn't even a proper 5G spec for Mesh Networking which is DEFINITELY required for 5G either (i.e. handset-to-handset-to-basestation etc). The frequencies are so high that cell range is TINY in comparison to 4G.

In the US you got bog standard LTE on rollout, it DID NOT MEET the 4G Spec. It was 3.5G. Marketing bullshit at it's very best.

Even bog standard LTE-A still isn't 4G, it's actually 3.75G. It's all in the 3GPP and ITU specs if you care to read up.

Etisalat & Telstra have also claimed they will be first with 5G networks in their respective countries. It's just the 'Dick Waving' of CEO's... don't be fooled by the BULLSHIT.

Last edited:
Do it and I'll be happy as I'm on Google Fi and will upgrade my phone when a 5G capable phone is out and supported by Google Fi.

You are off by 100mhz, but we'll let it slide. Nextel had a big chunk of the 800mhz block, so Sprint would have had that at the time. Verizon does have some 850mhz spectrum that was used for EVDO, but that wasn't what they rolled out their LTE network on. Verizon deployed in 700mhz after it bought the frequencies that were previously used as TV spectrum. This time it's T-Mobile that is going to be deploying spectrum that was used for OTA previously that is in the 600mhz range. From what I've read they are going to be getting all of the gear in place ahead of time, and will turn it on as soon as they get the approval. 2019 is the earliest this will happen because OTA is still broadcasting in those frequencies right now. There is a rollout plan that the FCC has published which says when each channel in each market will have to migrate by, and TMo can't make use until this happens. Some of spectrum is in very late phases and might not even be available until 2020.

The apparently have a slide show now that shows when each phase occurs and what will be available.

The fact still remains that the phone market is completely different than it was 10 years ago. This 600mhz will be a major boon to TMo for range and building penetration, but really won't be the end all be all for high density deployments. Their current AWS spectrum, or even additional high band frequencies will be important to dense deployments. VZW is looking at purchasing more AWS because you simply can't get enough spectrum in the low bands. 20mhz is a huge swath at say 700mhz, but as we see with wifi, you can get 80mhz or even 160mhz wide channels at 5ghz. If we want to continue to see speeds go up, they will need to continue to mix in spectrum from several different bands in order to have enough spectrum to meet the requirements. 600mhz for signal, 1900 / 2100 for a solid mid band that has decent range and good speeds, and 5ghz+ for very close cell sites and maximum speed in dense areas. (Shopping malls, stadiums, Times square, etc)
I was referring to the 850 they put most of their cdma/evdo on... but yeah they killed it when they got all the 700mhz lte spectrum too.

Back